Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Lewis Dunk better than Mark Lawrenson?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Saw Lawro many a time - he was class. But let's not worry about the past - Dunk is an absolutely outstanding defender at this level. He and Duffy were absolutely immense today, and Dunk obviously added the icing on the cake with a superb goal. If John Stones is worth £50m.....

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
What I do know is that I've just watched Dunkys interview on SP.
Proper Brighton boy.
Great interview

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Different game now, especially the standard of the PL compared to the old Div One. IMHO Dunk has got the potential to be a top flight CB with bells on. What he is doing now, you just don't see that often in the modern game, I just don't think you can compare them. Just hope we go up and see what he can really do in against the big guns, he's learning fast and impressing the shite out of me. The fact that people are even comparing him to Lawro means he is knocking on the door of greatness. Hope he does, in blue and white stripes.
:bowdown:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Makes I laugh the way the old boys see it. Of course our current crop aren't as good as their golden generation. How could they be? They were England U21 and ROI internationals, they played in the top flight etc etc. Not by any means suggesting the teams of the late 70s/early 80s weren't good it's simply impossible to compare a Lawrenson with a Dunk or a Murray with a Ward.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Makes I laugh the way the old boys see it. Of course our current crop aren't as good as their golden generation. How could they be? They were England U21 and ROI internationals, they played in the top flight etc etc. Not by any means suggesting the teams of the late 70s/early 80s weren't good it's simply impossible to compare a Lawrenson with a Dunk or a Murray with a Ward.
OK, laugh away. Actually it's been a pretty good discussion.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Mark Spitz wasn't shit all compared in the future to what Michael Phelps would have done back then.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Stockdale
Bruno, Lawrenson, Dunk, Cattlin
Knockaert, Horton, Kayal, Ryan
Ward, Murray.

What a team ...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We always used to say that Lawro was worth the admission money alone. Not sure I would say that about Dunky just yet. Different players, of course, with Lawro taking off upfield with those mazy runs. Very rarely an end product as I recall but wonderful to watch as defenders looked at each other and wondered who was supposed to pick him up!

Have you seen Dunk play this season and indeed yesterdays goal?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Different type of player both have different skills and we won't know until Dunk plays in the premiership and international football.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Different eras, different training regimes. Lawrenson was lanky, skinny, languid but he would have been out-muscled at times in today's game.

Of his era, however, Lawro was the better player. Very rare to make a mistake. Played at the highest level. More assured, better temperament. Better natural timing of the tackle. Best player I have seen for the Albion, since 1971. We were struggling in the top flight, Mullery brought in Peter Suddaby to play at the back, pushed Lawro into midfield, and we won 1-0 at the European champions (Forest). Dunk is terrific, but he has a long way to go to match Lawrenson.

PG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lawro was able to bring the ball out of defence and run the length of the pitch (yes, I know it's a different game now). There was 1 match Brighton scored 5 goals with Teddy Maybank getting a hat trick (maybe an Easter game?). Lawro was unplayable that day. He took the ball from 1 end of the pitch to the other and put it on Maybank's toe for 2 of his goals. Dunk is better in the air and will score more goals than Lawro but he is not, and never will be, as good a footballer. He will be a top, top centre half though.

It was Boxing Day against Cardiff.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Lawrenson has proved to be better by achieving more.

Dunk has not got the same level of achievement but this season has blossomed as an all round player. He also shows how he can lead this team by driving forward. I think this improvement this year is down to having Duffy next to him which has given him the confidence. We are also playing better football as a team , less of the sideways pass.

As a Brighton fan for 45 years IMO Dunk is the better player because he really wants to play for Brighton and really wants Brighton to do well.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
In answer to the original question I don't think Dunk is better than Lawrenson at the same stage of their careers and I think Lawrenson is the best player I ever saw play for The Albion.

Lewis Dunk's surging run out of defence and winning goal at Fulham reminded me very much of Mark Lawrenson and got me thinking......
(n.b. I realise we're doing fine and don't need to change anything)

If Goldson comes into partner Duffy for the next two games and they play very well together, could there be a case for retaining Goldson and trying Dunk in midfield? (I'll go and get my helmet :wrong:)

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think some of the youth coaches at the Albion have wanted Dunk to play midfield, and I think this is why we don't see the type of central defender that can carry the ball upfield all that often, as soon as they show some ability to play with the ball at their feet, they get shifted into midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here