Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Brighton turning into a snobby place to live.....

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think Brighton is a fine place to live and I do think sometimes we take it for granted. The worst thing about it is the expense, property prices for the centre of town in particular are obscene, but that is a problem shared with most of the south east in general compared with other parts of the country. I do not see why Brighton should be singled out for criticism in that regard.

However for quality of life I still think it is superb, you have access to the coast and the downs. Whether you want to dance, drink, eat, watch a movie, buy a record, buy a book, kick a ball about, catch a show or a gig there are few better places for miles around.

So whilst we do have artisan coffee shops and a whole host of independent and 'quirky' retail establishments we still have Aldi, Lidl, Sainsbury's Waitrose, Tesco, Asda, Primark, etc to keep us in the 'real' world.

I love it. I have been here 17years now and I feel much more a Brightonian now than the Londoner I grew up as, and feel all the better for it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Turning? I think it long since turned. Didn't realise how bad it was though until I moved to Newhaven and realised how normal people are here. In Fiveways it was all ladies what lunch and bankers. But then what do you expect when it's £200k for a grotty one bed flat. I seriously don't think it'll be long before Brighton loses much of what makes it such a great place as the people that make it that way won't be able to afford to live there. Lewes has gone the same way.

Fiveways used to be rough but it's far more like muesli hill nowadays.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think Brighton is a fine place to live and I do think sometimes we take it for granted. The worst thing about it is the expense, property prices for the centre of town in particular are obscene, but that is a problem shared with most of the south east in general compared with other parts of the country. I do not see why Brighton should be singled out for criticism in that regard.

However for quality of life I still think it is superb, you have access to the coast and the downs. Whether you want to dance, drink, eat, watch a movie, buy a record, buy a book, kick a ball about, catch a show or a gig there are few better places for miles around.

So whilst we do have artisan coffee shops and a whole host of independent and 'quirky' retail establishments we still have Aldi, Lidl, Sainsbury's Waitrose, Tesco, Asda, Primark, etc to keep us in the 'real' world.

I love it. I have been here 17years now and I feel much more a Brightonian now than the Londoner I grew up as, and feel all the better for it.
I think you need to look a little harder then. Houses in grottiest parts of Brighton are FAR more expensive than in any of the surrounding areas.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There's an inverse snobbery about your post because it was whining about women who need to eat, and the area being populated by bankers. As if that is an issue.

Can't say I know any bankers around here, mind.

Oh come on, you know what I mean about ladies what lunch. In my last week at Fiveways there was a massive doggie tea party in Blakers park with hundreds on middle aged women sipping champagne surrounded by their pekingese and chiwawas.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with bankers per se. Perhaps it was just where I lived; my next door neighbour was a banker and my landlord was a banker.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
From my experiences of living up north. The majority of the south is pretty snobby, but I'm sure places like Cheltenham are far worse than Brighton for snobbery.

It could be worse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From my experiences of living up north. The majority of the south is pretty snobby, but I'm sure places like Cheltenham are far worse than Brighton for snobbery.

It could be worse.

There is inverted snobbery up north, where folk have said, that as a southerner, I was too posh to talk to.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh come on, you know what I mean about ladies what lunch. In my last week at Fiveways there was a massive doggie tea party in Blakers park with hundreds on middle aged women sipping champagne surrounded by their pekingese and chiwawas.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with bankers per se. Perhaps it was just where I lived; my next door neighbour was a banker and my landlord was a banker.

I'm still not sure what the point you're making is.

It's merely a more elegant form of questionably legal street drinking by an older dog-on-string set.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
As a Northerner who moved here nearly 20 years ago, (although I've never lived there) I work in London and live in Hove (Actually), I feel that this thread is directed specifically at me!

However, Brighton is the best place in the country to live. The only place I've ever liked more was Edinburgh and that will be "abroad" very soon.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
How is no-one being able to afford being able to live there "being picky"? All of my friends who have thus far got married have had to leave the city, despite not wanting to. Yes, as I said, I love the place and it's full of great pubs and bars, but it's going to get tougher for them too.

Cost of living I agree with, I thought you meant attitudes of the people being snobby which I do not tend to find in Brighton. Having worked in Dorking before then that really is another matter, true blue narrow minded Daily Mail readers there.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
There is inverted snobbery up north, where folk have said, that as a southerner, I was too posh to talk to.

I think you're getting xenophobia and snobbery confused.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You think Brighton is snobby? Well, there is that element but it's always been so. As mentioned above visit some of the little Daily Mail, conservative strongholds in Surrey like Dorking, I have seen and heard things that have had my jaw drop in disbelief of the snobbery. Surrey is for this and many reasons the worst county in the UK .

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
You think Brighton is snobby? Well, there is that element but it's always been so. As mentioned above visit some of the little Daily Mail, conservative strongholds in Surrey like Dorking, I have seen and heard things that have had my jaw drop in disbelief of the snobbery. Surrey is for this and many reasons the worst county in the UK .
Blimey, I really don't think you know much about Surrey do you? I have lived and worked for myself here for 27 years and couldn't disagree more. Almost without exception my customers are nice,down to earth and appreciative of me, I work as a travelling mechanic, and I don't see any snobbery at all.I'd be keen to hear your "many other reasons" as well. Forge ahead in your own time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Ha! Before I transferred to London I worked in Reigate for four years. School kids walking to local authority infants and primaries in blazers and hats being nagged by their 4x4 driving mums about their posture. I actually prefer working in Tower Hamlets. According to bushy this makes me a snob.....

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Ha! Before I transferred to London I worked in Reigate for four years. School kids walking to local authority infants and primaries in blazers and hats being nagged by their 4x4 driving mums about their posture. I actually prefer working in Tower Hamlets. According to bushy this makes me a snob.....

You are really struggling to get over that 'Educating the east end' thread, aren't you?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

I know Reigate very well. There is nothing hideous about Surrey, nothing amazing about Surrey, just a dull county full of snobs living in leafy little identical towns. Fine if you like that, personally I find it all a bit creepy.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Blimey, I really don't think you know much about Surrey do you? I have lived and worked for myself here for 27 years and couldn't disagree more. Almost without exception my customers are nice,down to earth and appreciative of me, I work as a travelling mechanic, and I don't see any snobbery at all.I'd be keen to hear your "many other reasons" as well. Forge ahead in your own time.

Ive lived in Surrey off and on for a total of about 20 years man and boy. Genuinely can see it's attraction but for me it's just not my kind of place. Surrey is just neither one thing nor the other.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you need to look a little harder then. Houses in grottiest parts of Brighton are FAR more expensive than in any of the surrounding areas.

Very much this. Like-for-like, Brighton is far more expensive than other places along the coast.

D

Deleted User X18H

I say old chap, do you mind awfully not making such disparaging remarks about us Brightonians.
You really are beginning to get my dander up.

Bad show.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Very much this. Like-for-like, Brighton is far more expensive than other places along the coast.

Indeed. Just as an example (though I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Whitehawk):

Two bed flat in Whitehawk, £190k: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48047558.html
In Eastbourne for the same price: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47576723.html
Or Newhaven: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47849963.html

Admittedly we may be slightly straying from the point here. I'm surprised how much things have gone up since we were looking 6 months ago too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here