Is Brighton turning into a snobby place to live.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
At least we've got something to be snobby about. Imagine living in ... actually, don't.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Being, as I am, from Crawley, I find that most of the rest of Sussex is snobby.

Rough people of Brighton are teletubbies.
... and they live at the Level?

2533521.jpg

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
What do you mean 'turning into'?

to be fair my last experience at the level was being told at by a homeless man that he would slice me up with his samurai sword, so my opinion on the park isn't fantastic!

Sorry about that. I was having a bad day. Some bugger stole my skateboard, which was made out of an old salmon tin.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Turning? I think it long since turned. Didn't realise how bad it was though until I moved to Newhaven and realised how normal people are here. In Fiveways it was all ladies what lunch and bankers. But then what do you expect when it's £200k for a grotty one bed flat. I seriously don't think it'll be long before Brighton loses much of what makes it such a great place as the people that make it that way won't be able to afford to live there. Lewes has gone the same way.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You can thumb me down all you want [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION], and I knew you would, but it's true. If a married couple on decent money can't afford to buy or rent any more than a one bed flat what hope is there for the city? Don't get me wrong, I still love the place and I'm not slagging it off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is Brighton turning into a snobby place to live.....
I over heard some mums talking how they would never go to the level with their children because it's full of chavs
Is Brighton turning into a chavvy place to live?

Well what do you think then folks....

Today we took the little one for a run around in Queens Park before heading off for a walk along the pier and a boat ride to burn off some energy and I over heard some mums talking how they would never go to the level with their children because it's full of chavs.... Is that true, I don't think so it's great for kids and that's the point is it not ! I mean a Queens park hardly Mayfair is it ? One of the reasons I moved back to Brighton was to get away from Islington type snobs and bring my nipper up in my home town.

This is not the first time I have heard snobby remarks and to be honest it's sad. So a question to those who have lived here for sometime. Have you seen a change does it annoy you and do you blame an influx of people who moved from London and brought with them their attitudes.

I would never take my kids over to queens park for this very fact,we like to stick to hove park with our sort of people:moo:

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
Since ye olde days of living In Moulsecoomb things have changed In Brighton bigtime. Even where I lived just down from Newick road Is all students now. But getting to the thread title. I do believe brighton is a snooby place to live now and I have mentioned It before. It's rubbed off on a few fans also.

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
Turning? I think it long since turned. Didn't realise how bad it was though until I moved to Newhaven and realised how normal people are here. In Fiveways it was all ladies what lunch and bankers. But then what do you expect when it's £200k for a grotty one bed flat. I seriously don't think it'll be long before Brighton loses much of what makes it such a great place as the people that make it that way won't be able to afford to live there. Lewes has gone the same way.
Yes, migration to Brighton from London and elsewhere is hardly new, it's been a steady flow since the war, the obvious problem with that being that there is nowhere for the city to expand.

On balance I would say the city is better for it, despite the high house prices and the odd north London media type winding me up.

Having said that, I'm a fourth generation Brightonian (at least) so they can all go back to where that came from...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I have nothing against Brighton as I was born and lived there for years, but I would not want to live there now.

I work hard and have a nice house, but I couldn't afford this house if it was in Brighton.

The part of Brighton I grew up in is mostly buy to let houses now, mostly filled with students.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, migration to Brighton from London and elsewhere is hardly new, it's been a steady flow since the war, the obvious problem with that being that there is nowhere for the city to expand.

On balance I would say the city is better for it, despite the high house prices and the odd north London media type winding me up.

Having said that, I'm a fourth generation Brightonian (at least) so they can all go back to where that came from...

I'm Brighton born and Hove bred but my parents were DFLs. Their house went up five times in value while they were here and that's despite selling it in the middle of a depression with 15% interest rates. In that time Poets Corner started the transformation from council houses to overpriced commuter belt hell. Nor is laughing at chavs anything new, Monty Python were doing it with things like the hanky on head sketch.

Sooner or later you just reach an age where all this affects you and you notice it more. I'm not saying it's a good thing btw, but it's inevitable given our geography.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Opposite for me. Moving away from Brighton has made me realise what an amazing place it is. I went back for 3 weeks in August after a year away and was blown away by what a fantastic city it is. Simple things like unique pubs, shops, bars and of course the people. Was also really impressed with the changes to London road and the Level.

People are too picky about Brighton, it is not perfect but then no where is. No matter where I live in the world Brighton will always be one of the best cities on the planet for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Places do change and they have to change. I have no issue with this per se. Brighton is still as good as it has been in the past but for different reasons. My only gripe is when people are priced out. And this is has sadly happened with housing.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Opposite for me. Moving away from Brighton has made me realise what an amazing place it is. I went back for 3 weeks in August after a year away and was blown away by what a fantastic city it is. Simple things like unique pubs, shops, bars and of course the people. Was also really impressed with the changes to London road and the Level.

People are too picky about Brighton, it is not perfect but then no where is. No matter where I live in the world Brighton will always be one of the best cities on the planet for me.
How is no-one being able to afford being able to live there "being picky"? All of my friends who have thus far got married have had to leave the city, despite not wanting to. Yes, as I said, I love the place and it's full of great pubs and bars, but it's going to get tougher for them too.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You can thumb me down all you want [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION], and I knew you would, but it's true. If a married couple on decent money can't afford to buy or rent any more than a one bed flat what hope is there for the city? Don't get me wrong, I still love the place and I'm not slagging it off.

Are you talking about social snobbery in Brighton (which is what the OP was on about)? Or merely about house prices?

There's an inverse snobbery about your post because it was whining about women who need to eat, and the area being populated by bankers. As if that is an issue.

Can't say I know any bankers around here, mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports