Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is anybody still worried that we will not get automatic promotion?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
My point was that we've blown decent positions before so until it's a certainty supporters who've seen it go pear shaped in the past will be cautious and I'll repeat it, win at Wolves and we're near enough home so even the ultra cautious can relax.

There are decent positions and there's where we are now. Certainly, 1969-70 does not bear comparison with this season. The only season where I believe we have genuinely blown a strong position was 1975-76 where, even after the defeat at Millwall on Good Friday, we still had three eminently winnable games only to draw them all. Other than that, when we have been in a strong position for promotion, we have generally delivered the goods (eg 76-77, 2000-01, 2001-02, 2010-11) or come with a good run (71-72, 87-88). We didn't quite manage that in 77-78. 1969-70 saw quite a few teams in the mix; 84-85 (not 83-84, we were never in the promotion hunt) likewise.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Watch the panic and certainty of promotion leave some people if we lose to Wolves...

That will actually be amazing. Thing is, I won't fret cos we should still be alright but the reaction here will be a real "popcorner" :laugh:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Watch the panic and certainty of promotion leave some people if we lose to Wolves...

It won't be panic, or even that distasteful phrase that suggests a night-time bladder leak. However, virtually every match from now on is potentially one where we can clinch promotion - and every missed chance to clinch promotion will naturally increase the tension.
At the moment we've got five chances to do it - but if we don't, then it'll be four, then three..................shudder!
Here's to six points over Easter (and somewhere a draw or loss for Huddersfield!)

Last edited:

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Yesterday I allowed myself the thought of the first home match at the next season in the top flight since near oblivion, a little smile and I was soon back to this...

xXVI9Bk.gif

Naturally a very cautious man but I don't see us messing this up now, even if we do lose to Wolves, which I half expect us to do.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not worried and am quietly confident. I will repeat what I said 2 months ago - this team has proved over the last 18 months or so that they are the most consistent team in the top 4 leagues of English football. It is not a fluke where we are. We have been waiting years for a team as good, together and efficient at getting the job done. If there is a team that I would bet my life on that would get 6 points from 5 games (which in itself would be a dramatic collapse in the form shown over the last 18 months), it is this one.

Enjoy it. Times like these do not come around very often. Sing your heart out if you are lucky enough to be going to the remaining games as that is all you can do. Just trust the team to get the job done and celebrate heartily when they prevail.

It won't be panic, or even that distasteful phrase that suggests a night-time bladder leak. However, virtually every match from now on is potentially one where we can clinch promotion - and every missed chance to clinch promotion will naturally increase the tension.
At the moment we've got five chances to do it - but if we don't, then it'll be four, then three........................shudder!
Here's to six points over Easter (and somewhere a draw or loss for Huddersfield!)

I won't take people through the scenario that has us losing ALL FIVE of the remaining games and STILL getting promoted, except to say that promotion would still be the most likely outcome of a run of defeats like that.

Huddersfield will gift it to us.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
We usually do well at Wolves so I am not even considering a defeat and promotion will be secured on Monday v Wigan.
We normally do well at Leeds and lost.
We normally do well at Forest and lost.
We normally do badly at Sheffield Wednesday and won.
We normally do badly at Barnsley and won.
We normally do badly at QPR and won.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
No, the fat lady hasn't sung yet but she's definitely clearing her throat.........!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
When we are 5-0 down against Chelsea

(That's the spirit!)

I've been considering since this posting that earlier if I'm being too pessimistic and initial reaction is it's just what happens being a Brighton fan. But really how many times have the Albion honestly let me down? If anything we've over achieved for years so bollocks to it, I'm all in and we're going up!

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Got a felling wolves will beat us and Norwich would love to pull our knickers down,that would mean We need 2 wins from 3 games if you write those two off as defeats,if any team is capable of making a pigs orphan out of this ,it's us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I've just heard Carvalhal on talk sport saying that the best side in this league is Newcastle.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
.......but i thought it was all over,the squad dismantled and north of 50 million worth of new recruits about to sign........Lets go up...BUT AS CHAMPIONS !!!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Got a felling wolves will beat us and Norwich would love to pull our knickers down,that would mean We need 2 wins from 3 games if you write those two off as defeats,if any team is capable of making a pigs orphan out of this ,it's us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We'll only need those wins if Huddersfield have won all their 4 games (and we've also lost to Wigan)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here