Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus / Apple Watch

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
You've had thumbsup from me even if I've disagreed! You're sort of right I think, what Apple has done throughout it's history is develop products that no one else could see a market for. Steve Jobs for example, didn't invent the mouse. It was a prototype sat in the development offices of HP where they hadn't a clue what they could use it for. Jobs knew immediately it could be revolutionary with a GUID OS (again something no one really had an interest in developing), coupled with a computer with a built in-screen suitable for home use. None of the technologies were necessarily invented by Apple, but the invention was Apple's to put them all together. Similarily there were MP3 devices before the iPod, but none had the capacity or ease of use of the iPod which revolutionised the market with an existing technology.

So I agree, in revolutionary technology terms, they've not often invented the wheel, but what they have done is made new products that appear to be something we never had but suddenly we can't actually do without - and they've often made them beautifully designed and great objects to own. Sure, competitors produce equally good products, sometimes cheaper, sometimes better, but I've never engaged with that side of the argument really, because the development of technology is good for all of us - you really don't want just one company dominating a marketplace.

That is what engenders the affection I think. I've been using Apple since I wrote many of my University work on a Mac Classic II. It was just cool seeing the head of a computer company presenting new products in jeans and a black roll neck, the whole company seemed to engage with design, culture and the modern world making it exciting in a marketplace that was generally nerdy, geekish and boring.

I'd really recommend the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson. Far from a sycophantic piece, it is really a total revealing of both Jobs and what Apple is all about, both good and bad, and just a great read about someone who had such a massive impact on the world.

Absolutely bang on about the biography, it's a great read and certainly no hagiography. The one thing missing was an explanation for how shit the headphones are given the pursuit of perfection with every other product apple produced. I guess he missed that meeting.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think I know why my initial battery usage on the 6 seemed so poor. I think my phone got 'stuck' in some sort of loop on the iCloud restore from my old phone. I'd not noticed until a day or so back when I noticed that it had yet to make a backup of itself - something it should just quietly do every night. I noticed I also often had a spinning wheel in the top status bar. So I cancelled the restore, although I think everything had already restored long ago, and my battery life has since improved a lot.

As I type my phone has been going for over 13 hours, of which it's been used for 4 hours 18 minutes and it's still on 62%.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Nah.

DarrenFreemansPerm Vs Bozza

nerd.jpg

applefanshit.jpg
So 9 posts in a thread is an obsession is it?
And for the record I don't own an android product you melon :ffsparr:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Sorry, O/T, but how are you planning to get one? As I understand it those available on Amazon are Chinese, and can access limited European bandwidth (so only certain networks), and the manufacturers look likely to persist with the 'invitation-only' method of distribution for a while yet.

Okay, so when I say I'm getting one, I should say I'm trying to get one. Definitely not going for the Amazon one, but I've signed up, joined the forum and trying to be 'active' on there to try and blag an invite, there's a lot swimming around, but a lot of people after them as well. There is also talk of them going on normal sale in October......

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I now count 12.
:cheers:

No, not at all. I'm interested in Apple, their products, and peoples reviews.
I'm also interested in the thought process of the Apple-Bashers.
#34 :hilton:
I'm interested in people's opinions on things too, but I prefer them to be unbiased. I'm not sure whether you've completely missed what my actual argument is about, I'm not an Apple basher (as I've said a few times, I have an iPhone and iPad) it's peoples bizarre sycophantic following and bizarre loyalty that I can't get my head around.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm interested in people's opinions on things too, but I prefer them to be unbiased. I'm not sure whether you've completely missed what my actual argument is about, I'm not an Apple basher (as I've said a few times, I have an iPhone and iPad) it's peoples bizarre sycophantic following and bizarre loyalty that I can't get my head around.

Fair does.
I was a bit antagonising.

:blush:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As I type my phone has been going for over 13 hours, of which it's been used for 4 hours 18 minutes and it's still on 62%.

That is genuinely amazing!

When you say 'used' do you mean screen time as the screen on time usually makes the biggest impact on battery life?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

:thumbsup:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy an iPhone in the duty free at Gatwick south ? I'm off abroad next week and wouldn't mind picking one up there if I can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here