[Music] International Reggae Day.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1066familyman you seem to like the vocal melody based stuff so sorry you probably won't like this - I prefer the instrumental stuff. BrianB you seem to like everything so you might think this is alright. Everyone else has got bored I think and moved on to threads about Joel Veltman or cryptocurrency :D

Now you've gone and done it!

You've forced me to unleash the dub heavyweight selection this evening :lol:

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Top o'morning ...
Linking Weather ...... Today's forecast...

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
1066familyman you seem to like the vocal melody based stuff so sorry you probably won't like this - I prefer the instrumental stuff. BrianB you seem to like everything so you might think this is alright. Everyone else has got bored I think and moved on to threads about Joel Veltman or cryptocurrency :D

Personally I run out of steam with Digital , it seems to lack ' roundness ' both ends are there ( bass and high end ) but it's 'scratchy ' - obviously this is a mass generalisation😔.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Linking singer/dj/instrumental cuts ... Unf I only have IRoy cut - still damn fine but not the holy grail😉.

One of my all-time favourites!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Classic opening shot for a Boss reggae set...

First heard this on Tighten Up Vol 2 in the late '60s. Classic Reggae album.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It's a good question as to what got us all into Reggae in the first place, especially if we're white and not from an inner city. For me, because of my age, it was definitely Two Tone, especially The Specials and The Beat. Then came UB40 I think. I also have a specific memory of hearing Buffalo Soldier on ToTP and that was when my record buying journey started.

Far more interesting to me is why we developed that love of Reggae and what keeps us coming back for more, years later. As a council house kid I identified with the message I suppose, although I'm not going to pretend I've ever known true 'sufferation' myself. Most of all though it's obviously that beat, the melody, the harmony, the tempo etc, but also the...... s p a c e! I love the space in the music! and it's the exact reason I struggle with a lot of rock music, as it's just too loud and busy to my ears.

I'm going to go back to Miss Lou here though, as the Jamaican language, and culture as I absorbed more, captured my heart from the start and likely sealed the deal. There's poetry in Jamaican patwah and a beauty and directness I just can't resist. I could listen to Jamaican's speak all day long, even if I still wouldn't necessarily understand the whole of it. Rap for example, from a very similar musical route, mostly leaves me cold. The accents and language are a struggle for me. Btw, these are just my gross generalisations about Rock and Rap, I don't dislike all of it, lol

Sorry to ramble, but Reggae has brought me so much joy over the years and helped me through all sorts of things that I almost feel like writing a love letter to it and the people that created it. If this is that letter, then it's not a lot of cop :LOL:, but it'll do for now. Back over to Miss Lou for something much more eloquent.....

I could have written exactly that! I remember telling someone that whilst listening to Reggae, listen to the bits when there's a quick momentary silence, or space as you've called it. We both can't be wrong?!!
I got in to Reggae when the first generation of Skinheads evolved in the late '60s. I loved hanging around the fairgrounds where different beats boomed out from different rides. I was about 12 years old and felt a million dollars in my shrink-to-fit Levi jeans, Doc Marten boots and check shirt. Then basically followed your path.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ok, let's get the dub show on the road then.

We'll start Dubbing with The Observer. Stripping everthing down to the basics and from the man that pretty much started the whole thing....King Tubby!

Then we'll bring in Niney The Observer, just to confuse things :wink:

And then go for probably the most famous one of all...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Next little batch it's over to Prince Far I and The Arabs...

And I can't leave out a dub cut to one of my all time favourite tunes that's already been posted on the thread ...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Can I just say at this point that if @jackstraw doesn't weigh in tonight with some of his Aba Shanti favourites then he's coming straight off of my Christmas card list! ;)

Edit: He's in!......Marvellous scenes! :clap:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can I just say at this point that if @jackstraw doesn't weigh in tonight with some of his Aba Shanti favourites then he's coming straight off of my Christmas card list! ;)

Edit: He's in!......Marvellous scenes! :clap:

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Getting philosophical with 2 points about dub ....
1 , all music is reworking older sounds .
2. As someone else mentioned earlier - it's all about the spaces ...
Conclusion - modern jazz got there first ..
check at 3.30 in ( there are better examples around ) ..

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So going with Sly & Robbie then. I remember this tour and this track in particular at Lees Cliff Hall in Folkestone...

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Next little batch it's over to Prince Far I and The Arabs...

And I can't leave out a dub cut to one of my all time favourite tunes that's already been posted on the thread ...

I always equate Prince Far I with Rockstone Dj styling..

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Probably my first encounter with what became 'Dub'..
First came this .

Then a few months later this got plays ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports