Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indonesia to go ahead with execution of 6 "convicted " drug smugglers within 24 hrs.

good or bad..?

• good

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • bad

Votes: 61 68.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
30 lives a day? Most people don't take drugs because they want to die - they just want to get high and die by accident, usually because of dirty drugs. If the government regulated the drugs and made them pure, death rates would drop significantly. Yes, there would be ODs, but that would be the odd accidental case, not the norm.

Making an example of a handful of small time drug smugglers won't change a single thing. The only thing that will be real change are a complete re-think on how we approach drugs, and drug policy.

Something you have to speak to the Indonesian leader about im afraid... he seems quite determined. I cant see how other countries view tackling drug problems is going to influence him tbh.

Dec 29, 2011
Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Every one of those featured in this article were fully aware of the possible consequences for their actions.
They took the risk, and unfortunately have to suffer the consequences.

Ever watched "Banged Up Abroad"? Great show.

I dont agree with the death penalty generally but if that is the law of the land you are in you know what to expect if you commit the crime.
I assume you're all fine with Saudi Arabia executing a man for renouncing his Muslim faith? Or how about the blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, 10 years in prison and had to pay $250,000 for criticizing clerics on the internet?

Dec 29, 2011
Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Every one of those featured in this article were fully aware of the possible consequences for their actions.
They took the risk, and unfortunately have to suffer the consequences.

Ever watched "Banged Up Abroad"? Great show.

Something you have to speak to the Indonesian leader about im afraid... he seems quite determined. I cant see how other countries view tackling drug problems is going to influence him tbh.

Wasn't directly aimed at you, I know you're clued up on drug policy. Just a general observation that these poor people (and their families) are going to suffer because of backwards way of thinking, which we in the West are still guilty of too.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
No, Indonesia accepts the death penalty (there is no arguement about that) for crimes committed, it accepts that it can ask for the death sentence to be commuted, but that commutation is NOT within it's power to grant.

Likewise, Australia MUST accept that it can ask for clemency but has no legitimate expectation that it should (or would) be granted. Only Indonesia can choose to decide, for good or ill.

No double standards here, just an example of Indonesia following 'due process'.

In the UK we hanged people for murder. In Indonesia it's Drug Smuggling. The law is different in different Countries and that's the way the world works.

The president granted a reprieve to two Indonesian murderers who was on death row and a recent court rescinded the death penalty of 2 Iranians who they caught with 40kg of Crystal meth at the airport. How can you state this is a penalty that is given out effectively or fairly. Mary Jane Veloso is a victim of human trafficking (4kg of drugs) and will be executed as well.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Of course, if they go ahead with the executions is will make a MASSIVE difference to global drug trade because they've clearly got the kingpins and fear will stop anyone else replacing them.

F ucking moronic Indonesian leaders. Of course I bet they're a model of clean ethical living?!!

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
8 have been just been executed and Mary Jane Veloso excution has been delayed. R.I.P. Feel sorry for their family's :(

7News Yahoo7 @Y7News · 2 mins 2 minutes ago

BREAKING: Indonesian media are reporting convicted Australian drug smugglers Andrew Chan, Myuran Sukumaran have been executed
#Bali9

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Are you suggesting that 'we' shouldn't make countries that still have the death penalty aware of what a backward, pointless and barbaric act it is just because it is their country and their law ?

The French have warned of consequences if their citizen is shot - hopefully those consequences will be strong. I'd like to see the withdrawl of all aid to countries that have the death penalty. The problem we have the dimwit red necks of the USA still murdering their prisoners so any action by the rest oc the world is fairly pointless.
Barbaric to you and many yes,but quiet frankly many deserve the death penalty and I would love it back here again.Many have killed people with so called barbaric acts and they should receive the same back in my opinion.

Yes drug offences might be harsh,but you have to respect the laws of these countries and stop slating them....Your view is from here and no doubt the views are different over there.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I am amazed that international human rights standards even remotely accept the death penalty for anything other than murder is ok.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
This is why the death penalty should be abolished.Poor woman was strapped to the wooden plank with the rest of the condemned at the time.

Indonesian television is also reporting that the executions of eight prisoners – all men – have taken place, but that the Filipina woman, Mary Jane Veloso, was spared at the last minute, after a woman accused of tricking her into carrying drugs turned herself into police in the Philippines on Tuesday.

There are reports that the executions took place at around 00.25 local time.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think thats the point the Indonesians are making. They consider the traffikers as murderers.

Well yes but that's the same logic that is applied whenever the death penalty is used - e.g. in China corruption leads to innocent deaths through negligence etc etc. But common sense means there is always a huge logical jump. I meant for actual premeditated direct killing.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Well yes but that's the same logic that is applied whenever the death penalty is used - e.g. in China corruption leads to innocent deaths through negligence etc etc. But common sense means there is always a huge logical jump. I meant for actual premeditated direct killing.

i understand you, im just saying thats how the indonesians are looking at it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Barbaric to you and many yes,but quiet frankly many deserve the death penalty and I would love it back here again.Many have killed people with so called barbaric acts and they should receive the same back in my opinion.

Yes drug offences might be harsh,but you have to respect the laws of these countries and stop slating them....Your view is from here and no doubt the views are different over there.

I take it your comfortable with the state executing (murdering to my mind) innocent people. If you support the death penalty, you support that as the two go hand in hand. There's no perfect criminal system and there's no going back once someone is dead.

Indonesia should be ashamed. I hope they feel the full force and there's an international outcry to show Widodo the error of his ways. None of these people were the drug barons and one has been proven to be mentally ill. Do you seriously support the execution of people who are mentally ill?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

No I don't. The Indonesian government, law machine and president are clearly barbaric and backward and I do not have any respect for them or this law of theirs.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
if you can't do the time,don't do the crime

I don't think anyone is suggesting that these guys didn't make a pretty dumb decision (although in the case of some of them, no doubt poverty was a driving factor). However just warning someone of the consequences of an action doesn't make you immune to criticism if those consequences are unnecessarily harsh.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here