Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I saw that show at The Basement. We put them on in TWells very soon after. Tonight I'm going to watch The Popguns in Lewes with Wadhurst Seagull. Anyone else going?

Yes. Just been listening to Amelia Fletcher's Catenary Wires who are also playing tonight.

I also saw the Brilliant Corners at the Poly Basement.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I saw that show at The Basement. We put them on in TWells very soon after. Tonight I'm going to watch The Popguns in Lewes with Wadhurst Seagull. Anyone else going?

Sadly not, but surely you're on the VIP list Dave, given the number of times you put them on? I'm pretty sure I remember Steve Gear snogging Wendy (too bizarre to be a dream) - how on earth did that come about? She must have been pretty drunk.....

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Sadly not, but surely you're on the VIP list Dave, given the number of times you put them on? I'm pretty sure I remember Steve Gear snogging Wendy (too bizarre to be a dream) - how on earth did that come about? She must have been pretty drunk.....

Steve Geer doesn't remember snogging Wendy. The fact he doesn't remember, to me means it never happened. Just one of your sicko dreams! The Popguns were pretty damn good, as it happens. So much so that I'll try and get them to Tun Wells Forum. I didn't realise Amelia's new band were supporting until I noticed her in the venue, they were ok, but they weren't Heavenly. Wendy, by the way, is grey these days pop kids. And she happily pointed out the fact with her 'grey is the new black' t-shirt.
A good show, spoilt only by the glare I got from one of Steve Geer's mates, who it seems has held a grudge against me for 25 years, apparently we tangled on a footie pitch once. I have no recollection of said incident!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Steve Geer doesn't remember snogging Wendy. The fact he doesn't remember, to me means it never happened. Just one of your sicko dreams! The Popguns were pretty damn good, as it happens. So much so that I'll try and get them to Tun Wells Forum. I didn't realise Amelia's new band were supporting until I noticed her in the venue, they were ok, but they weren't Heavenly. Wendy, by the way, is grey these days pop kids. And she happily pointed out the fact with her 'grey is the new black' t-shirt.
A good show, spoilt only by the glare I got from one of Steve Geer's mates, who it seems has held a grudge against me for 25 years, apparently we tangled on a footie pitch once. I have no recollection of said incident!

I'm actually pleased to put that urban myth to bed then. Wendy is Wendy, whatever colour her hair is - long live The Popguns. How was Someone You Love?

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
They didn't play Someone You Love...

It was a good gig though, Wendy is a singing teacher these days, and her voice is even stronger than it was way back when. It used to be buried a bit too much, but it really stands out these days. Pop Fiction has some great tunes too.

I think Simon might have had something to say about any snogging...!

Last edited:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
They didn't play Someone You Love...

It was a good gig though, Wendy is a singing teacher these days, and her voice is even stronger than it was way back when. It used to be buried a bit too much, but it really stands out these days. Pop Fiction has some great tunes too.

I think Simon might have had something to say about any snogging...!

I was thinking to myself afterwards did they play 'Someone You Love'? You're right, they didn't, which is a shame as that was one of my fave songs. I take it you must be Shaun C, their former drummer (and of course former Weddoes drummer) as I did notice you in the audience.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Every now and again I give Eugenie. a spin, and sing the entire album. It's Indie pop beauty.

I've only got it on tape. Maybe I need to upgrade. That Popguns gig sounds like a bit of a school reunion. Lovely tunes. They seem to play in Lewes more than anywhere else - have they all moved there?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I've only got it on tape. Maybe I need to upgrade. That Popguns gig sounds like a bit of a school reunion. Lovely tunes. They seem to play in Lewes more than anywhere else - have they all moved there?

I spoke briefly to guitarist Simon and he says they will be playing Brighton and London at some point soon. I believe they are all still Brighton, one of the new songs was called 'BN3', so make of that what you will. *Nick Blackwell was at The Forum last night watching Hinds, Mr Tinycowboy, Sir.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I spoke briefly to guitarist Simon and he says they will be playing Brighton and London at some point soon. I believe they are all still Brighton, one of the new songs was called 'BN3', so make of that what you will. *Nick Blackwell was at The Forum last night watching Hinds, Mr Tinycowboy, Sir.

BN3, eh? I wonder if they're Hove or West Blatchington. I went to NB's wedding last year (in Southborough). Did you chat? Makes you feel old when a mate is the town mayor! Were Hinds any good? May give them a listen later - can't beat a good Spanish indie band!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
BN3, eh? I wonder if they're Hove or West Blatchington. I went to NB's wedding last year (in Southborough). Did you chat? Makes you feel old when a mate is the town mayor! Were Hinds any good? May give them a listen later - can't beat a good Spanish indie band!

Yep, I always have a quick chat with NB, we spoke about The Popguns, actually! Hinds? Yeah, they were okay. A lot of people were there to see Oscar, who supported. They sounded like a band paying tribute to Gene, whilst Gene were tributing Mozza and co, with a bit of Brilliant Corners thrown in for good measure.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Promo's were easier in those days, one shot on the beach, one up the cliffs (no need for a wind machine).

Yep, AND drummers only needed ONE drum ([MENTION=11689]shaun_rc[/MENTION])! That must have sounded pretty weedy "live" on the beach during recording!

Love that Veronica Falls track - usually give that one a spin on a matchday en route.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Yep, I always have a quick chat with NB, we spoke about The Popguns, actually! Hinds? Yeah, they were okay. A lot of people were there to see Oscar, who supported. They sounded like a band paying tribute to Gene, whilst Gene were tributing Mozza and co, with a bit of Brilliant Corners thrown in for good measure.

Hmmmm. Was never really a big fan of Gene. Bit too precious for me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep, AND drummers only needed ONE drum ([MENTION=11689]shaun_rc[/MENTION])! That must have sounded pretty weedy "live" on the beach during recording!

Love that Veronica Falls track - usually give that one a spin on a matchday en route.

The mrs skips that one, too...

Hmmmm. Was never really a big fan of Gene. Bit too precious for me.

Did they actually release anything other than that 'Olympian' one, then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here