Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] India v England Test Series

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
What a fantastic non spinning, slow delivery.

If you watch it, it was the drift that got that wicket and it turned just enough. A spinner spins it almost every ball and the variation will be the straight one. The slow bwler turns one or two an over and the rest go straight on. Its the difference between Mushy and Swann, Warne and Edmonds. Spinners turn it right angles every time they bowl, slow bowlers dont.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Magic, he turned one, about 2.5 inches (just enough). But he didnt turn it ball in ball out and never gave it a proper rip. He was a slow bowler. A very good one but he was not a spinner.

The constant moving the ball 2 to 3 inches is why he kept getting results. Moving 2 foot looks impressive but rarely gets results it moves too much and usually misses everyone. Unless you're Gatting though :)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Easy to say someone isn’t a ‘spin’ bowler when the majority of the games he played were in non-spin friendly conditions isn’t it? It’s like saying Murali didn’t spin it because when he played in away conditions his record was nowhere near as good as it was on the spin rampant pitches of the sub-continent.

I’m sure I remember Swann putting 2000+ revolutions on the ball, that’s a big rip.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
The constant moving the ball 2 to 3 inches is why he kept getting results. Moving 2 foot looks impressive but rarely gets results it moves too much and usually misses everyone. Unless you're Gatting though :)

That is the impression given by county cricket "you dont need them to turn it more than 2 inches". It's baloney. If a kid turns it then bloody encourage him because he will win games in the same way that a kid who bowls fast will win games. It's an English average county cricketer mentality and it's baloney. It was in the 80's and it is now. Ive nothing against slow bowlers, they have their place, but so do spinners, its just that England doesnt recognise it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If you watch it, it was the drift that got that wicket and it turned just enough. A spinner spins it almost every ball and the variation will be the straight one. The slow bwler turns one or two an over and the rest go straight on. Its the difference between Mushy and Swann, Warne and Edmonds. Spinners turn it right angles every time they bowl, slow bowlers dont.

I going to give up here as we're just batting it to and fro. I've seen close up top spin bowlers the good certainly don't spin it every time.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Easy to say someone isn’t a ‘spin’ bowler when the majority of the games he played were in non-spin friendly conditions isn’t it? It’s like saying Murali didn’t spin it because when he played in away conditions his record was nowhere near as good as it was on the spin rampant pitches of the sub-continent.

I’m sure I remember Swann putting 2000+ revolutions on the ball, that’s a big rip.

If you can spin it, then you can spin it on anything. It's natural. Some have it most don't. Pitches do help but really a proper spin it whether in India or England. First day, second day or 5th day.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well......

India weren’t happy with the freedom and number of sweep and reverse sweeps our batsman used in the First Test. They worked on it and dropped Sundar. Now with more help from the pitch I think the sweep will not be seen much by us in this match.
Great first wicket for Axar to get.
Pressure on.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Woke up at 03:45, decided to get another three hours kip. Wish I'd got up now, look like I missed an interesting session

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
52-5. Stokes gone. This could get ugly! Indian spinners absolutely on top.

Really not surprised. If you could prepare the totally perfect dust bowl for your bowlers this is it. Fine India will win but honestly if they want the test match system to survive you can’t have pitches this doctored. It’s playing like a day 10 pitch. It’s unplayable and no amount of Indian commentators exploding with excitement at the excellence of their bowlers can hide that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can't see this going to a 5th day!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Really not surprised. If you could prepare the totally perfect dust bowl for your bowlers this is it. Fine India will win but honestly if they want the test match system to survive you can’t have pitches this doctored. It’s playing like a day 10 pitch. It’s unplayable and no amount of Indian commentators exploding with excitement at the excellence of their bowlers can hide that.

This.

Big puff of black dust from every ball that has bounced or turned. None from the straight on ones. If this was a County game the pitch would already have been reported. It's been prepared with the World Test Championship in mind, pure and simple.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We need to play games here. We’re allowing them to bowl quickly. Between each ball we need to disrupt by walking up the wicket taking gloves off etc adjusting attire.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We need to play games here. We’re allowing them to bowl quickly. Between each ball we need to disrupt by walking up the wicket taking gloves off etc adjusting attire.
For 3 and a half days?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My thoughts are heading to the Sundar Patel Stadium in Ahmedabad. Maybe should contact one of the few people to play in the new Stadium for his views on the pitch.

FE47ADC1-6387-4C40-982F-E00E4DB44A42.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here