Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] India v England Test Series

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Virat potentially facing a one match ban if he gets reported after his rant at the end of the second day. Anyone want to bet on the (Indian) umpire suggesting it was serious enough for 2 demerit points ? He’s already on 2 points, and 4 is an automatic 1 match ban..........

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He was always scheduled to go home after this Test.

They way I read it is that because he’s performed quite well and they’ve realised they’re leaving themselves short, they’ve asked him at the last minute to stay on. He’s been stuck in the bubble for months and has chosen to stick with the plan, and go home to his family.

England announcing it as him ‘choosing to go’ is unfair - makes it look like he’s doing a runner ahead of time.

I think Vaughan’s comments havnt been helpful....but as I understand it the going bit is an option ..a player doesn’t have to choose to go...but he has (which is his right)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Virat potentially facing a one match ban if he gets reported after his rant at the end of the second day. Anyone want to bet on the (Indian) umpire suggesting it was serious enough for 2 demerit points ? He’s already on 2 points, and 4 is an automatic 1 match ban..........

He should get reported, it was disgraceful.

I'm not 100% certain a ban will help us massively: yes, he's a class batsman but I think Rahane is a better captain

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Interesting stat, the next test is the day/night game in Ahmedabad, the last day/night game in India (in Kolkata admittedly) saw all the wickets fall to seam, not spin

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He should get reported, it was disgraceful.

I'm not 100% certain a ban will help us massively: yes, he's a class batsman but I think Rahane is a better captain

A very volatile character.....it’s interesting that India did better without him on their recent tour to Oz

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you lose Archer and decide to drop Anderson and Bess then you deserve to get thrashed. The test was lost as soon as our side was announced. The result was a foregone conclusion, the only glimmer of hope was winning the toss.

The bottom line is if you want to win a test series in India you have to have your best possible team out there for all 4 tests, keeping rotation to a bare minimum.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've just seen the test match championship standings and it's all rather interesting

If England win the last two, they're in the final
If India win the last two, or draw one and win one, they're in the final
If India and England win one each, or draw both, or if England win one then Australia are in the final

A lot hanging on the next two games

Imagine if England win the series and put Australia in the final, that would be a bittersweet victory

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
True dat. For someone who was a decent captain, he's an absolutely terrible pundit. Interestingly, Pietersen, who was a terrible captain, is rather insightful as an analyst.

Agreed, and following the death of Bob Willis there remains the mantle of the outspoken, "speak your mind" pundit available. Is Vaughan about to ramp up the nasty factor?

I do miss Bob Willis, especially at times like this when we've been hammered and some plain talking is required. I suppose Vaughan still has a few former teammates in the test side and in the coaching department. Like Bob, it will be interesting to see if he gets meaner once these positions are filled by people he didn't play with.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've just seen the test match championship standings and it's all rather interesting

If England win the last two, they're in the final
If India win the last two, or draw one and win one, they're in the final
If India and England win one each, or draw both, or if England win one then Australia are in the final

A lot hanging on the next two games

Imagine if England win the series and put Australia in the final, that would be a bittersweet victory

India could have problems if the ICC give the pitch of the latest Test a 'poor' rating. There may be some sweating on this.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Agreed, and following the death of Bob Willis there remains the mantle of the outspoken, "speak your mind" pundit available. Is Vaughan about to ramp up the nasty factor?

I do miss Bob Willis, especially at times like this when we've been hammered and some plain talking is required. I suppose Vaughan still has a few former teammates in the test side and in the coaching department. Like Bob, it will be interesting to see if he gets meaner once these positions are filled by people he didn't play with.

I think the thing about Willis was that while he was more critical than most it seemed to be more from being annoyed about planning, application and thought and constructive. With Vaughan it just feels like a whinge most of the time and very little analysis

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
India could have problems if the ICC give the pitch of the latest Test a 'poor' rating. There may be some sweating on this.

Not at all. There are demerit points for poor pitches but the sanction is that the grounds lose test match status.

More info here

However, I think that Melbourne is the only pitch so far deemed 'poor' was because too few wickets fell on it. I think that unless a pitch is deemed dangerous, if there's a result, it's going to be OK. And I certainly can't see any sanctions for a pitch that had more than 900 runs scored on it

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I don't see any point in writing anymore about the pitch (cough which was fine cough), so will instead post a link to an article on the King Cricket website on that subject, since I enjoy reading the articles on it and more people should read them.
https://www.kingcricket.co.uk/do-en...-deterioration-are-the-same-thing/2021/02/16/

Although my personal favourite headline from that site is "Is Rory Burns going to have to give a presentation on industrial piping?"

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not at all. There are demerit points for poor pitches but the sanction is that the grounds lose test match status.

More info here

However, I think that Melbourne is the only pitch so far deemed 'poor' was because too few wickets fell on it. I think that unless a pitch is deemed dangerous, if there's a result, it's going to be OK. And I certainly can't see any sanctions for a pitch that had more than 900 runs scored on it

A good example is Kanpur in 2008. Here is the scorecard:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...s-south-africa-3rd-test-332913/full-scorecard

And Galle 2011

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...s-south-africa-3rd-test-332913/full-scorecard

There was only an official warning issued but it was sanctioned for being too dry with too much turn and variation.

This pitch was poor. It was clear that it was hastily prepared. A clay pitch needs more time for watering and the top spoil was crumbling from the off. That shouldn't happen in a county match let alone a Test match.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't see any point in writing anymore about the pitch (cough which was fine cough), so will instead post a link to an article on the King Cricket website on that subject, since I enjoy reading the articles on it and more people should read them.
https://www.kingcricket.co.uk/do-en...-deterioration-are-the-same-thing/2021/02/16/

Although my personal favourite headline from that site is "Is Rory Burns going to have to give a presentation on industrial piping?"

I've never seen this site before. I'll give it a, ahem, spin.

That's a good article - I agree with every word. I especially like this comment "It’s unfair that the home team should engineer an advantage for itself by picking better players."

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've never seen this site before. I'll give it a, ahem, spin.

That's a good article - I agree with every word. I especially like this comment "It’s unfair that the home team should engineer an advantage for itself by picking better players."

The pitch and England's defeat I see as two separate things.

As I said on the first morning, no innings should reach 300 on that track. Yet India had that as a mean average and England were pummelled.

England lost because they don't have the spinners that the home side had. Neither could they bat as well in these conditions. India won because they were the better team- and are, just, in general.

But I still believe it was very poor quality and hastily prepared.

Had this been a better quality Test pitch I still think India would have won.

Very much looking forward to next week's offering- especially as this should be England's joker Test.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If you lose Archer and decide to drop Anderson and Bess then you deserve to get thrashed. The test was lost as soon as our side was announced. The result was a foregone conclusion, the only glimmer of hope was winning the toss.

The bottom line is if you want to win a test series in India you have to have your best possible team out there for all 4 tests, keeping rotation to a bare minimum.

This is what I don’t get.

When you play any form of competitive sport, the whole object of the exercise is to beat the other team.

We tonk India in the first test (mainly because of Root and Anderson). We then let Buttler go home, rest Anderson and drop Bess. Keep the top 3 (who for some reason aren’t going anywhere) who are dodgy to say the least. Meantime Bairstow is back and forward like a yo-yo. With this kind of all over the place selection, it’s no wonder we lost.

What’s the point in dropping Bess? Moeen’s gone home and I can’t really see what difference he made.

Note all these “rested” players are off to the IPL - bet none of them go home early from that.

I’m right with Michael Vaughan on this.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is what I don’t get.

When you play any form of competitive sport, the whole object of the exercise is to beat the other team.

We tonk India in the first test (mainly because of Root and Anderson). We then let Buttler go home, rest Anderson and drop Bess. Keep the top 3 (who for some reason aren’t going anywhere) who are dodgy to say the least. Meantime Bairstow is back and forward like a yo-yo. With this kind of all over the place selection, it’s no wonder we lost.

What’s the point in dropping Bess? Moeen’s gone home and I can’t really see what difference he made.

Note all these “rested” players are off to the IPL - bet none of them go home early from that.

I’m right with Michael Vaughan on this.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed. And there are always key positions in the team that have to be filled by key players. If subbing in players and "platooning" players in certain spots was a winning strategy we would have seen it used in English test cricket before now.

It feels to me as though the only realistic chance we would have had of winning this series was with a tight squad of 12 or 13 players fully focused on the job in hand, and with Covid that is almost impossible. The players were fresh vs Sri Lanka, but tests 3 and 4 in this series will be 5 and 6 of the winter, and that is a massive ask.

That is why I would have gone all in with Jimmy and Bess in this second test, omitting Broad and Stone, gone for the 2-0 and then seen where we were. Now, anything other than a 3-1 defeat would be a surprise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here