Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In the world of football, what makes you CRINGE?

Oct 25, 2003
-pretty much everything Tim Sherwood does
-anyone calling a Premier League footballer "shit" when they're easily in the top 10% in the country
-the term "world class"
-Arsenal fans acting like finishing FOURTH IN THE COUNTRY is some sort of epic disaster
-people asking me who else I support

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Players trying to steal 1cm at corners by carefully placing it a fraction outside the arc. Why?

Apologies for being pedantic but the ball only has to overhang the line so it can be outside.

I loved it earlier this season when an opposition player was getting yelled at by the crowd as the ball wasn't in the arc, he then went to move the ball and with a big grin on his face placed it further outside. The North West corner almost exploded.

TaxiRichieUK

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
what pisses me off most in football, is a player placing the ball at a corner when it clearly doesnt touch any of the line, im sure the rules state the ball has to be touching the line, AND second point is, players nicking a throw in 20 yards up the pitch from where the ball went out

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ignorance of the laws of the game. Most often, fans jeering at referees' assistants for what they think is a late offside flag - whereas the laws have decreed for some while now that the flag is only raised when the ball reaches the offside player.

"Premiership" applied to football. That's rugby. It's the Premier League. It hasn't been the Premiership since 2007. Stop living in the past.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
what pisses me off most in football, is a player placing the ball at a corner when it clearly doesnt touch any of the line, im sure the rules state the ball has to be touching the line, AND second point is, players nicking a throw in 20 yards up the pitch from where the ball went out

Good. But you didn't answer my question. I want to know what makes you CRINGE.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Apologies for being pedantic but the ball only has to overhang the line so it can be outside.

Yeah, but for the love of God, WHY? Are they unable to get the ball to where they want from a centimetre back? Of course not, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Oh, and can I add another one to my previous list, as I cringe ever time, and never mentioned it.

Removing your shirt as a goal celebration!

There is one exception, and that's when a player is making a point after digs about their weight or fitness. Ok, I get it when Ginola, Flintoff, Vicente or Akinbadbuy, feel they need to show, "hey look how hard I've actually been working in training". But the general "celebration" is just ludicrous. For one, it's an automatic yellow, and for another, I have been deliriously happy on many occasions in my life, and I punch the air, scream uncontrollably, or hug complete strangers. Removing my clothing is not an obvious reaction unless you are dumb football or a Geordie. Do they pull their shirt off at any other time when things go well? I've never seen someone do it anywhere except on a football field. No-one walking down the street greets a winning scratch card is this manner. Now STOP IT, you just look silly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ban on 'drinking alcohol within sight of the pitch'. Because obviously the mere sight of a pitch while drinking alcohol would turn us into pitch-sighting alcohol-crazed BEASTS.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
"Premiership" applied to football. That's rugby. It's the Premier League. It hasn't been the Premiership since 2007. Stop living in the past.

With (genuine) respect, if the game's authorities are short-sighted and arrogant enough to keep piddling about with the names of the leagues purely for short-term marketing and branding purposes, why should the rest of us feel duty-bound slavishly to keep up with the latest temporary names that they happen to dream up? Damn it, take a stand.

Billy Whizzkid

Aug 24, 2011
When a side's talisman player pops up with an important goal prompting the commentator / co-commentator to say "cometh the hour cometh the man." Oh do **** off.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've not read this so I imagine people have done the same as me.

1 - People NOT celebrating against their former club. If you were a club legend then I will accept it. Otherwise, STOP IT.

2 - When the score is 0-0 and someone says "we should be 2-0 up. We missed two sitters". NO. If the first goal was scored the whole sequence of events would have changed. Moronic.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yeah, but for the love of God, WHY? Are they unable to get the ball to where they want from a centimetre back? Of course not, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Oh, and can I add another one to my previous list, as I cringe ever time, and never mentioned it.

Removing your shirt as a goal celebration!

There is one exception, and that's when a player is making a point after digs about their weight or fitness. Ok, I get it when Ginola, Flintoff, Vicente or Akinbadbuy, feel they need to show, "hey look how hard I've actually been working in training". But the general "celebration" is just ludicrous. For one, it's an automatic yellow, and for another, I have been deliriously happy on many occasions in my life, and I punch the air, scream uncontrollably, or hug complete strangers. Removing my clothing is not an obvious reaction unless you are dumb football or a Geordie. Do they pull their shirt off at any other time when things go well? I've never seen someone do it anywhere except on a football field. No-one walking down the street greets a winning scratch card is this manner. Now STOP IT, you just look silly.

There was one other time it was the perfect celebration - Iniesta in the 2010 World Cup Final.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Not much, I'm not sure at what point football fans became so insecure. I'm blaming SKY anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here