[Albion] In praise of (the surprisingly quiet) David Stockdale

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Great response.

Stockdale's kicking isn't great in my opinion. Oh sorry, this is NSC, nobody is allowed a different opinion.

Of course you're allowed an opinion. Just expect to be told it's wrong, when that opinion is nonsense.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Of course you're allowed an opinion. Just expect to be told it's wrong, when that opinion is nonsense.

And there we go. If I disagree it's nonsense.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Great response.

Stockdale's kicking isn't great in my opinion. Oh sorry, this is NSC, nobody is allowed a different opinion.

I am allowed a different opinion about your opinion. It is not factually true. Stockdale's kicking is very good.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Great response.

It's one thing to think Stockdale's distribution 'isn't great,' it's another to compare it to FDM.

My opinion though is that Stockdale's distribution is vastly superior to that of any regular goalkeeper we've had for the 25/30 years I've been watching. It's the reason, even during the Hyypia season I was very forgiving of his mistakes.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
To be fair, it's erm "controversial".

[yt]bIXQFaEsvlQ[/yt]

"Opinions are divided on the matter. I say Stockdale's kicking is crap, everybody else says it isn't"

I was thinking this self same scene when reading the last few pages.

Perhaps some kind of hat will be in order?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Great response.

Not sure on what evidence that can be based? He very rarely kicks the ball out of play. He generally finds his man when playing a ball out to other full backs when they are nearer the half way line.

However, to clarify, are you saying it isn't great but it is good or is your opinion that his distribution is poor?

(The worst I have ever seen was Grummitt who could put his drop kick on a sixpence. Unfortunately that sixpence was always off the pitch as he pretty much sliced every time he kicked it!!)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It should be obvious to everyone that nothing happens in this team by accident and I f DS is playing like a quarterback and looking for Baldock or knocky as soon as he claims the ball then it is by design.

I think there is a good reason for this. Every time he pings it - yes, even though his success rate is not brilliant - it sends the message that the oppo cannot allow any space between their back 4 and keeper because he can drop the ball in there for a runner.

It keeps them back, deeper in their own half than they want to be and stops them moving forward as a unit. Can you remember the last time a team camped in the Brighton half?

It appears you are a coach. Post more, fella :thumbsup:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'd say his kicking is so good, he doesn't really need to work on it any more.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
And there we go. If I disagree it's nonsense.

I always find this type of response amusing. Someone goes against what is widely believed on NSC (sometimes just to be controversial) and say they have the right to their opinion. No debate there. Then others will disagree and suddenly they sulk, completely ignoring the fact that others are also entitled to their opinion.

Nobody is saying you can't have a view on Stockdale's kicking. To be honest, I'm struggling with how you can say that as he is one of the best keepers I've seen in terms of distribution, but you are allowed to say it. Just accept people will disagree.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It should be obvious to everyone that nothing happens in this team by accident and I f DS is playing like a quarterback and looking for Baldock or knocky as soon as he claims the ball then it is by design.

I think there is a good reason for this. Every time he pings it - yes, even though his success rate is not brilliant - it sends the message that the oppo cannot allow any space between their back 4 and keeper because he can drop the ball in there for a runner.

It keeps them back, deeper in their own half than they want to be and stops them moving forward as a unit. Can you remember the last time a team camped in the Brighton half?

Villa and Fulham the following week.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Great response.

Must be a wind up. DS is without doubt one of the best in the top two divisions with he ball at his feet. For Zamora to say "the best he has played with" (regarding his kicking) must say something.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Great response.

Lots of eyebrows being raised on this one and rightly so. He is an excellent distributor of the ball. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, and so are the rest of us, most of whom think yours is naff.
:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here