Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In praise of (the surprisingly quiet) David Stockdale

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
At that point we had sustained a long period of time where we were second best and were struggling to get the ball out of defence. Yes Bruno was free but he chose to calm things down and give everybody a chance to breath for a few seconds and get reorganised.

IMO he is second only to Dunk for long pass execution excellence, he made one error today when he kicked to out to touch but on the whole is distribution is the best I have ever seen from an Albion keeper.

Agree with all this, but think Norwood might just have a thing or two to say on long pass execution excellence.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Was watching Maenppa (sp?) in the warm up making some unbelievable saves wondering how he can't get in the team... stockdale has been absolutely superb this season, kept us in a few games at times where we've came back to get points.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good keeper. What's the problem?

Whether to come for a cross or stay is a dilemma every GK faces in every match they play - all of them will get that wrong sometimes. As does Stockers; occasionally. And 'occasionally' indicates a very good goalkeeper.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
His distribution is brilliant. He is always looking to find a player well up the pitch and pings a hard, long ball. The odd one goes astray (just like any other player) but as keepers go he us up there with best on this front. Far more hit their (ambitious) target than not, so I can forgive the odd one that sails into the stands.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stockdale was good today, but he's a doubt for Friday.

I think he's double booked, as he's expecting to play Cardiff on Monday.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Like referees, the best keepers are the ones that you don't hear about. Because thier not doing anything wrong.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
As has been said a billion times, good sides reply on a solid and reliable 'backbone'.

Stockdale, Dunk/Duffy, Stephens and Murray are providing just that right now. With many others making amazing additions to this foundation, long may it continue.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I love David - he was my Player of the Season last season. Not only because of his work on the pitch but also because of his response to the Shoreham Air Crash.

But he's a top class keeper - it's a tough position because you could be having a great game and then one small mistake and you could lose the match. Yes he makes mistakes, but then EVERY keeper does.

Finally, I know some people don't like the pre-match huddle and his little individual cuddle/pep talk with each player, but if that plays even a small part in us being on this run of form, then I'm he can jolly well carry on!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I've also noticed that he's getting better and better in the air in crosses. Timing is near on perfect for catching crosses and his punching clear has also MASSIVELY improved.

I just love the bloke, he's a real decent guy.

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
It should be obvious to everyone that nothing happens in this team by accident and I f DS is playing like a quarterback and looking for Baldock or knocky as soon as he claims the ball then it is by design.

I think there is a good reason for this. Every time he pings it - yes, even though his success rate is not brilliant - it sends the message that the oppo cannot allow any space between their back 4 and keeper because he can drop the ball in there for a runner.

It keeps them back, deeper in their own half than they want to be and stops them moving forward as a unit. Can you remember the last time a team camped in the Brighton half?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Can you remember the last time a team camped in the Brighton half?

Not for a few years, at least.

camp.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Three really good saves today. More clean sheets than the rest of the Championship.

I thought it was a near perfect goalkeeping performance. Was alert and flexible when needed, made the right choices, and connected well, when punching the ball. Etc.

GenericJames

Apr 2, 2016
His improvement between 2014/15 and 15/16 really was worth all the attention it received, but it's really uplifting to see that he's improving himself even further.

There's now a certain level of calmness around him as he moves towards an incoming delivery, and some of his reflex saves yesterday were absolutely spot on. We definitely should get him down for another contract, and it's nice to see the connection he has with the fans!

Also, there was a lovely gesture by him towards the poor chap hit by the football at the game yesterday. He really is a gent!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here