Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In praise of Gordon Greer

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Great servant. His time is up for the Albion personally. Getting far to slow now.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Dunk and Goldson will be first choice next year, if they stay, but how great is it having GG there ready to step in. He's an asset, I hope he gets another year with us.

edit: Just to add, in a time where footballers are often on the front page of the paper for all the wrong reasons, Gordon has been an absolute model professional, a great leader on and off the pitch and a wonderful influence on Dunk and Goldson.
Thanks, saved me writing it 👍

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
I have no idea if he'll be retained or not, but I understand he was inconsolable at the end of the game on Monday night.

Regardless, it has long grated with me that I just don't feel our skipper has got the credit I feel he so richly deserves.

Since making a "sideways move" from Swindon he has been the rock in the heart of the defence of a side that has been consistently difficult to score against. He was our captain as we stormed to the League One title, and remained in place taking us to some of the highest finishes in the club's entire history.

His Albion form was good enough to earn him international recognition despite his advancing years, with Scotland manager Gordon Strachan once saying: "Gordon Greer looks nothing like a footballer. He looks like a rock star at a testimonial but he was absolutely fantastic."

He's been a constant through these first five years of the Amex era, and I'll certainly miss him if he's not part of the sixth in any way. That's football, I guess - sometimes we don't get a proper chance to say "goodbye".

He's been great for us, and no one should be suggesting otherwise.

View attachment 74842

Well said, Bozza.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Echo all the positives above. I well remember Poyet's persistence in pursuing him, and it was worth it.

At the Gym first thing this morning I was reading the comments going across the bottom of the page on Sky Sports and Claudio Ranieri had said things apparently about recruitment, about not just signing anyone, it matters that they fit in and suit the style of the club. I think we are very much in the same mould with Mr Hughton et al, and so hope Gordon and his influence are still here next season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Goodbye Gordon, what a rock you have been for this club!

Pound for pound one of the best signings the Albion have ever made, and being a key part of that side that went 21 games unbeaten this season is not too shabby for a 35 year-old. I thought his time might have been up a couple of years ago but I was wrong.

There's no shame in being kept out of the side by Connor Goldson either - a Prem player in the making he's come on leaps and bounds, no doubt because Gordon has helped him along the way.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Thanks for the memories Gordon you are a brighton legend, won't ever forget what you've done for us these last 5 years, loyalty is hard to come by in football and you've shown it in spades and your performances were immense, can't forget us thrashing Charlton away 4-0 and the way we passed them off the pitch that day. Solid as a rock every week, still so this past few games, can't believe ur not gonna run out for us ever again. Wish you the very best whoever you play for.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fantastic captain and leader on the pitch. Could never understand the criticisms of him.

That said, if he wants regular first team football, then the club are right to allow him to do that and wish him well knowing he wouldn't likely make the starting XI.

What this does tell me though, is that Dunk and Goldson are staying!

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Fantastic captain and leader on the pitch. Could never understand the criticisms of him.

That said, if he wants regular first team football, then the club are right to allow him to do that and wish him well knowing he wouldn't likely make the starting XI.

What this does tell me though, is that Dunk and Goldson are staying!
that's a big shout???

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I've been a critic of GG over the last 2 years.. I still think he's the least dominant centre-half in the air I have ever seen, but can't fault his record with us, and the way he came back into the team in the biggest games of the season was incredible, and he was superb.. successive managers have clearly rated him, and ultimately an injury cost him his place this year. He will no doubt be missed and I wish him well...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
good steady captain
thanks Gordon

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I hadn't posted on here, as I thought he'd be around for another year. I'm genuinely surprised that we haven't offered him another year.

GG has been a quality player and a true leader over the last 6 years. One of the great Albion captains.

Good Luck and Thanks Gordon, I wish you well and I'm sure you'll get a great reception if you come back to The Amex one day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here