Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In praise of Gordon Greer

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Long been a big fan of him. Always thought he's been very under-rated at the Albion. He's certainly been one of the club's best signings in the modern era. How we managed to get him for just 250 grand from Swindon I'll never know but what a statement of intent that was and marked a real turning point. In the Poyet era everything started with him once the ball was rolled out, he skilfully initiated and guided the play, very rarely giving the ball away. He's been a class act. I don't know if he'll be here next season now he's no longer first choice but he's been an absolutely brilliant Albion player.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
GG has been one of the keys of our recent success. I suspect his impact behind the scenes is immense, he is fully fit and still in the Scotland squad; why would we not offer him a new contract?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have a feeling I am going to hate this off season. Nobody wants Greer to leave, nobody wants Calde to leave, nobody wants Zamora to leave. But old father time has other ideas.

Greer has been another magnificent servant to this football club.

This is abundance.

I'd suggest we need a significant farewell game for many of the players that have put their all into this club.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I agree he has been a good player and captain for us but his future may depend on what he wants for him and his family and he may not want to be a back up to Dunk and Goldson who are obviously the future. Good luck to him for the future in whatever it holds for him.

We may not keep Dunk, but we do have Hun who must be fit for next season.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
GG has been one of the keys of our recent success. I suspect his impact behind the scenes is immense, he is fully fit and still in the Scotland squad; why would we not offer him a new contract?

Biggest turn off would be Gordon himself wanting regular football. He has been magnificent for 6 seasons, but he's no longer a first team starter. Personally, I think he's good enough for another year and would keep him if possible. Goldson and Dunk are bound to get injuries / suspensions next year. Also, who's to say those two won't leave?

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
One of our best ever signings.

Definitely - and at the time, a huge statement of intent in League One. Hope he gets another year. Even if he's not a starter at the beginning of the season, there will be injuries and suspensions in such a key position. His experience could be crucial, both on and off the pitch.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'd be surprised if we were willing to pay him what he could command elsewhere, given his likely status as a squad player here?

He's never been blessed with pace, so I have no concerns about his age should he stay, because I feel he'd be a great asset. It's all about finance imo.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The season before we signed Greer, Swindon Town were in the play-offs, having finished 5th. The following season, after Greer had joined us, we were destroying the third division, and Swindon crashed and burned, finishing bottom. I asked a friend who was a Swindon fan what on earth had happened.

'We sold Gordon Greer to you...'

Of course, that's not the whole story, but it's indicative of how he was considered by other fans. Steady, uncomplicated (though he had a wobbly start here), a leader - plus there was always the ubiquitous 'hand of apology'. Last season's wobble aside, we'd been having some of our best season defensively - and I don't believe in those kind of coincidences - and he has been at the centre of all of it.

A fine player.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I loved it when we got him from Swindon and they said it was a 'sideways move'

I loved the fact he was suspended when he came here, I then LOVED the fact that on his debut he got sent off for punching someone which resulted in the 'do you get a penalty when it's a dead ball' argument.

All in all, he has been brilliant for the club and, as you say he does not get enough credit. I feel this is probably in recent years because we all know what we will get from him and have got used to it instead of appreciating it!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Dunk and Goldson will be first choice next year, if they stay, but how great is it having GG there ready to step in. He's an asset, I hope he gets another year with us.

edit: Just to add, in a time where footballers are often on the front page of the paper for all the wrong reasons, Gordon has been an absolute model professional, a great leader on and off the pitch and a wonderful influence on Dunk and Goldson.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Difficult one - we have to be looking to replace our ageing defenders eventually, and don't want to get caught leaving it too late. Even though Bruno looks as if he could do a Stanley Matthews! I guess Greer has one more season in him, but he won't be first choice with Dunk and Goldson around. Guess it depends on him - if he wants to drop down a bit and play regularly, he's earned the right.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
He's been a terrific captain and an excellent player. The development of Dunk has to be in some part due to Gordon. Clearly a passionate man and a fan of the club. Still remember him going loopy when MK Dons missed that late pen. I'm sure a club like Glasgow Rangers would be in for him on a free. Surely ideal for them at this minute.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've loved Greer from the start, he's a class above any other centre backs we've had in my era as a fan, including Danny Cullip and Guy Butters. The man is an absolute legend in every sense, he's been our best centre back and natural captain for 7 years, if this is the end then he leaves with his head held high. Replacing him will be impossible, we'll just have to do something else instead.

If the options are him being our fourth choice or him playing regularly, much like Calde, I would rather see him leave to play football because they're both more than capable of being first choice somewhere else. It's a shame we never got a proper song on the move for Gordon.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He has been a rock for us and did very well in the last few games when called upon. I wouldn't be sad to see him here next year, he never lets anyone down. Great see any to the club.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I can't help but feel that the play off's have over shadowed some players leaving, is this it? do we not get to give them the goodbye they deserve?

Ideally both Greer and Calderon could fit coaching roles, not necessarily with the first team right now but U21 needs a lot of work!

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Not just a great player but also an outstanding captain. If he leaves then I wish him well and thank him for the great job he's done here.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'll openly admit that I though Greer might be done as of the end of Poyet's playoff season and a new manager might come in and fancy Dunk more. I was worried about him at the start of this season and even more so coming into two massive games ('Boro and Wednesday) with no first team football since Christmas. Wrong on all counts.

He must have a brilliant football brain because he's not the quickest and seems to get smaller rather than bigger when he jumps. It speaks volumes of him that since he's been at the club 4 managers have obviously rated him highly at the highest level of football he'd played in his career.

Be happy to have him for another year as 4th choice but equally can understand why we might think the money is spent better elsewhere. Either way a brilliant servant to the club.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
GG has been one of the best buys the club has ever made. He may not be the fastest but his reading of the game, his calm assured leadership and his defensive organisation are second to none. He has been the rock on which our parsimonious defence has been built over the last 4/5 years and he thoroughly deserves all the plaudits contained in this thread. His international recognition was well merited and who will ever forget his thunderous Lewandowski tackle when the highly paid, over hyped Polish striker was forced, much to his chagrin, to eat dirt in Warsaw. I hope he stays with us a bit longer but I would fully understand it if he wanted to move on in search of more regular first team football. That's the least we owe him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here