Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Impeccable source.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Spot on.

And as for the 12 mill in the bank, that's a laugh.

I doubt very much whether we'll see even 5 of that put back in to the playing side of things.

Those 4 cost a combined £2m so a great return. Who would have thought at the time of signing that Bridcutt would have progressed so well. Hughes is not far off Upson, Bridcutt has not really been missed, Ince has replaced him, we need a new keeper and CF and have £10m to do that. Even spending half that are you saying we cannot get decent replacements in ?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Why has it taken two months for this deal to happen? He was always going to leave, and the price was always going to be £7million odd. Now we're just three weeks away from the first match of the season and will necessarily have to rush through our squad rebuilding.

It sounds like we've got our price, but right now we've lost the spine of the side, with Kuszczak, Upson, Bridcutt and Ulloa all gone and nothing concrete in its place. Is that £12 million now in the bank? T'riffic.

It has taken that long because TB will not be bullied into accepting the first underpriced bid for a player. He has every right to hold out for a price that he finds acceptable.

As for losing the spine of the team, that would be a spine that included Bridcutt who wanted to play in the PL for Poyet and TK who clearly didn't want to be here towards the end of last season. Upson has probably got one more season left in him and he has got a return to the PL.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
This! I honestly think ulloa is replaceable for that money. Great player but we don't even know yet if he'd even fit into the way Hyppia wants us to play yet.

I agree with you but the real test will be the club's reaction.

We've banked over £11m now with the sale of Bridcutt, Barnes and Ulloa so I hope the club makes a real statement of intent. I'm not talking buying 6 or 7 reasonable players but 2 or 3 of real quality.

We shall see what they do...

Seagull Crow

Sep 3, 2012
You can't really begrudge either Ulloa or Upson the chance to play in the Premier League. Both gave it their all whilst they were with us, and I for one wish them nothing but the best for the future.

The image of Leo fighting his way through the Derby fans to applaud the travelling support in the play-off 2nd leg will live with me for a very long time.

Rumours circulating that Leo's been offered a very lucrative deal at Leicester (circa. 45k per week) - good luck to him.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Those 4 cost a combined £2m so a great return. Who would have thought at the time of signing that Bridcutt would have progressed so well. Hughes is not far off Upson, Bridcutt has not really been missed, Ince has replaced him, we need a new keeper and CF and have £10m to do that. Even spending half that are you saying we cannot get decent replacements in ?

I'm not saying at all that we can't get 'decent' replacements in.

What I am saying is that if people think because we've sold 12 mill worth then we'll spend that much on the 'decent' replacements, then they're in cloud cuckoo land.

We''ll only spend 5 of that, minimum.

The playing side will be so much weaker, and you know it.

( I agree totally on Ince with you. We got lucky)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not saying at all that we can't get 'decent' replacements in.

What I am saying is that if people think because we've sold 12 mill worth then we'll spend that much on the 'decent' replacements, then they're in cloud cuckoo land.

The playing side will be so much weaker, and you know it.

( I agree totally on Ince with you. We got lucky)

Read that back to yourself again. We'll only spend 5m of that, minimum.

Only 5 m?
Three years ago we were all gobsmacked that we broke the record with 3 million & now we're ONLY going to spend 5?

If O'Grady signs it appears that will cost £500K, so there's still enough left over for more.

There were days when we could only dream of getting players in before the season started.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
You can't really begrudge either Ulloa or Upson the chance to play in the Premier League. Both gave it their all whilst they were with us, and I for one wish them nothing but the best for the future.

The image of Leo fighting his way through the Derby fans to applaud the travelling support in the play-off 2nd leg will live with me for a very long time.

Rumours circulating that Leo's been offered a very lucrative deal at Leicester (circa. 45k per week) - good luck to him.

Same here. He knew he was off & so did most who saw that.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

Only 5 m?
Three years ago we were all gobsmacked that we broke the record with 3 million & now we're ONLY going to spend 5?

If O'Grady signs it appears that will cost £500K, so there's still enough left over for more.

There were days when we could only dream of getting players in before the season started.

I read it before I wrote, cheers.

Oh, and I stand by it. :thumbsup:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think the suggestion is that you meant we would only spend 5m maximum rather than.the minimum you actually wrote

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why has it taken two months for this deal to happen?
Because Leicester wanted to pay less, and we wanted to get paid more.
He was always going to leave, and the price was always going to be £7million odd. Now we're just three weeks away from the first match of the season and will necessarily have to rush through our squad rebuilding.
No, we were aware he was likely to go, and were planning where to spend the money weeks ago. The only difference between him leaving two months ago and leaving now, is that we got paid more.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I read it before I wrote, cheers.

Oh, and I stand by it. :thumbsup:
Don't you mean 'We'll only spend 5m of that, maximum?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Would be sad to see Ulloa go but for 7.5 I would bite their hands off..... if the money was going to be available for transfers. Theres at least three new players in for that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think you have to do this in the modern game. The only way you will attract the best young talent is if they see you as a club that can further their career, or with you or as a stepping stone.

If Ulloa was being sold to a Championship rival, then yes we could certainly question our ambition. However Ulloa to be fair to him has earnt a crack at the Premier League and I don't think we should really be a club that stands in the way of that. Had we got promoted, brilliant, hopefully he would have stayed. But we didn't and we certainly can't blame him for wanting a chance to play at the top level.

We've got an excellent price for him, and I really hope he does well. Thanks Leo, it was great while it lasted.

In agreement.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
You know what.... There will be.... I do not understand the panic on here, we have a good record of Hero's

Ward, Nelson, Zamora, Knight, Murray, Ulloa and more....

I do still believe CMS will come good.
Good point about CMS as he seems to be doing well pre season and maybe in the right system can recapture the form that led us to sign him in the first place

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I agree with you but the real test will be the club's reaction.

We've banked over £11m now with the sale of Bridcutt, Barnes and Ulloa so I hope the club makes a real statement of intent. I'm not talking buying 6 or 7 reasonable players but 2 or 3 of real quality.

We shall see what they do...

don't think cash we received last season can be spent this season unless we were in profit.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Southampton philosophy. Get good players, or develop good players, and sell them to clubs with more ambition. Tony Bloom says that is what his club wants to do for our team.

I think we will be a selling club in the future. It seems to be the only way to keep the wolf from the door, by brining players through the developement route, and then selling them for a good profit.
Two or three of those a season, and the 8 Mill deficit is instantly wiped out, and the other bills are covered and a small profit is generated to cover TB's loans to the club, and he starts to get his investment back.
But, as we all know, the big bucks are in the Premier League, and hopefully we will show the ambition to try and get there very soon!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here