[Politics] Immigration detention centres

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Of course it would have been worse under Corbyn. EVERYTHING would have been worse undeer Corbyn. Get with the programme :lolol:

Would things have been better under Labour? Probably. Labour under Blair and Brown were firmer with migration than this lot.

Although Labour did manage to get up to a 500,000 case backlog under Labour in 2006.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Demonstrates to me that the current measures in place for refugees are inadequate .

They need to be provided with suitable housing for their needs depending on family size , however as far as I can observe there is a shortage of available property hence the government booking hotels as a short term solution . Due to the numbers arriving recently it seems that there are no longer enough hotel places available hence people being kept at the migrant holding centers longer than is ideal with over crowding and deteriorating conditions being inevitable . Some reports in the press today do suggest that the government is trying to obtain further hotel places but that this is being blocked by local councils with concerns from local residents being expressed

Also once these peoples asylum applications are granted they will be entitled to bring family members to the UK and on average each will bring 6 which will require further housing .

Only solution I can see is to start building housing for the new arrivals as quickly as possible but the current government has no plans in place for this as far as I am aware.

Haven't noticed Labour politicians offering any solutions other that criticism of the current government so would guess that they are clueless also

BTW , Too keep to form , here is an example of another Albanian that is being looked after because it is not safe for him to be in his home country .

Man jailed for life for murder of teacher Sabina Nessa in London​

Judge says Albanian driver Koci Selamaj committed ‘savage’ and sexually motivated attack.
To the form of posting links that inform a particular agenda, sure. That link is more than 6 months old and does not say that the Albanian is a refugee, or an illegal immigrant. He was described as a van driver. However, no doubt you have logged the provenance. That said, it may be time you deleted your browser history. Would you like me to post a link to Levi Bellfield for 'balance'?

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There are huge cultural differences between Britain and many of the countries from whom we receive the largest numbers of immigrants.

I remember visiting Turkey with my (blonde, blue-eyed) ex, her niece and other family members. Walking through Bodrum was terrifying, as Sukh stall owners literally grabbed my ex’s (12 year old) niece’s hair. One openly grabbed his crotch at my ex.

We had an almost identical experience in Algiers. These young men are a menace. This is perfectly normal behaviour in their culture, because of the values they are raised with and their belief systems.

I welcome productive immigrants. They should be assessed (quickly), kept in humane conditions, and if they pass very strict criteria (blood tests, criminal background checks, hair follicle tests) they should be interred into education facilities to learn what is acceptable in British culture.

Once they pass their exams, they should be put into jobs that need filling in society.

Perfect for everyone, no?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There are huge cultural differences between Britain and many of the countries from whom we receive the largest numbers of immigrants.

I remember visiting Turkey with my (blonde, blue-eyed) ex, her niece and other family members. Walking through Bodrum was terrifying, as Sukh stall owners literally grabbed my ex’s (12 year old) niece’s hair. One openly grabbed his crotch at my ex.

We had an almost identical experience in Algiers. These young men are a menace. This is perfectly normal behaviour in their culture, because of the values they are raised with and their belief systems.

I welcome productive immigrants. They should be assessed (quickly), kept in humane conditions, and if they pass very strict criteria (blood tests, criminal background checks, hair follicle tests) they should be interred into education facilities to learn what is acceptable in British culture.

Once they pass their exams, they should be put into jobs that need filling in society.

Do you know how many Turkish people live in the U.K.?

You think they all grab hair and thrust their crotches at girls?

I work with a Turkish guy and a Syrian. And by the nature of our work I can guarantee you they have helped more women than anyone you could name. It’s literally our job.

In carrying out our duties they have never once thrust their crotch or grabbed anyone’s hair.

Your attitude is highly ignorant and frankly, insulting. It is you who needs to be “interred in an educational facility”.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Do you know how many Turkish people live in the U.K.?

You think they all grab hair and thrust their crotches at girls?

I work with a Turkish guy and a Syrian. And by the nature of our work I can guarantee you they have helped more women than anyone you could name. It’s literally our job.

In carrying out our duties they have never once thrust their crotch or grabbed anyone’s hair.

Your attitude is highly ignorant and frankly, insulting.
Surely it’s better basing an opinion on first hand anecdotal experience, than reading what I am meant to think from The Guardian or The Daily Mail.

As I said, also had a dreadful experience in Algiers (that’s in Algeria).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Surely it’s better basing an opinion on first hand anecdotal experience, than reading what I am meant to think from The Guardian or The Daily Mail.

As I said, also had a dreadful experience in Algiers (that’s in Algeria).

It depends what kind of brain that experience is being filtered through.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It depends what kind of brain that experience is being filtered through.
Why are you so against giving these poor people a chance to be properly inducted in British culture - at the taxpayer’s expense? Do you hate them that much that you aren’t willing to give them a chance to assimilate?

Frankly I find that view very racist and offensive. That you want to just send these people out on the streets without a clue about the country they’re living in.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why are you so against giving these poor people a chance to be properly inducted in British culture - at the taxpayer’s expense? Do you hate them that much that you aren’t willing to give them a chance to assimilate?

Frankly I find that view very racist and offensive. That you want to just send these people out on the streets without a clue about the country they’re living in.
Oh dear.

Listen, if you hold certain views and wish to tar swathes of people with the same brush, you do that. That’s your opinion. Be a grown up. Own it. It’s all very silly to try and turn it around on me with the above, childish post.

And for the record I don’t actually think people should be fully assimilated or integrated. I welcome diversity and mixed cultures. The food, the religions, the art, music etc

Happy to have a discussion about this but do yourself a favour and don’t try that childish nonsense on me. It doesn’t work. And it makes you look silly.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Tax payer funded trip in a Chinook for a 67 mile journey ?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Oh dear.

Listen, if you hold certain views and wish to tar swathes of people with the same brush, you do that. That’s your opinion. Be a grown up. Own it. It’s all very silly to try and turn it around on me with the above, childish post.

And for the record I don’t actually think people should be fully assimilated or integrated. I welcome diversity and mixed cultures. The food, the religions, the art, music etc

Happy to have a discussion about this but do yourself a favour and don’t try that childish nonsense on me. It doesn’t work. And it makes you look silly.
Talking about tarring swathes of people with the same brush, do you not regularly post things like “everyone who has ever voted Tory are scum”, somewhat constantly?

There’s plenty of well meaning people in the 14m people who voted Conservative in the last election.

Do you not see the irony in your above post? You became aggressive in your reply to my suggestion. I simply turned it around with a ridiculous strawman argument to show how easy it is to act offended, without offering any actual answer or critique to the discussion at hand. Your reply was very Twitter, I double-Twittered you.

Happy for you to objectively critique my suggestion and take the debate forward from there, without you resorting to personal insults like usual.

And as I’ve said before, I can’t f***ing stand this Tory government, so this is not a political issue. It’s a humanitarian vs state of the nation one.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Talking about tarring swathes of people with the same brush, do you not regularly post things like “everyone who has ever voted Tory are scum”, somewhat constantly?

There’s plenty of well meaning people in the 14m people who voted Conservative in the last election.

Do you not see the irony in your above post? You became aggressive in your reply to my suggestion. I simply turned it around with a ridiculous strawman argument to show how easy it is to act offended, without offering any actual answer or critique to the discussion at hand. Your reply was very Twitter, I double-Twittered you.

Happy for you to objectively critique my suggestion and take the debate forward from there, without you resorting to personal insults like usual.

And as I’ve said before, I can’t f***ing stand this Tory government, so this is not a political issue. It’s a humanitarian vs state of the nation one.
You’re too clever for me. I simply can’t keep up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I remember meeting two British guys outside a club in Malmö a few years ago asking me if I had a cigarette. I said "no, sorry" and they called me a useless f***ing ****.

A similar thing had happened to me in Lund. I was selling a bit of weed at the same but this British bloke I had previously met at the student pub was very into amphetamine and would not take a no for an answer when I told him I didn't have any. He was banging the door outside my student corridor for about 30 minutes in the middle of the night, waking up people and scaring the girls, and I had to go out and tell him again that I didn't have any. He said something along the lines with "f***ing hell", went off somewhere for a while until he returned to bang the door again.

These somewhat young brits are a menace This is perfectly normal in their culture, because of the values they are raised with and their belief systems.

But I'm a nice guy:
I welcome productive Brits. They should be assessed (quickly), kept in humane conditions, and if they pass very strict criteria (blood tests, criminal background checks, hair follicle tests) they should be interred into education facilities to learn what is acceptable in non-British cultures.

Once they pass their exams, they should be put into jobs that need filling in society. Plenty of floors to mop out there youknow.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I remember meeting two British guys outside a club in Malmö a few years ago asking me if I had a cigarette. I said "no, sorry" and they called me a useless f***ing ****.

A similar thing had happened to me in Lund. I was selling a bit of weed at the same but this British bloke I had previously met at the student pub was very into amphetamine and would not take a no for an answer when I told him I didn't have any. He was banging the door outside my student corridor for about 30 minutes in the middle of the night, waking up people and scaring the girls, and I had to go out and tell him again that I didn't have any. He said something along the lines with "f***ing hell", went off somewhere for a while until he returned to bang the door again.

These somewhat young brits are a menace This is perfectly normal in their culture, because of the values they are raised with and their belief systems.

But I'm a nice guy:
I welcome productive Brits. They should be assessed (quickly), kept in humane conditions, and if they pass very strict criteria (blood tests, criminal background checks, hair follicle tests) they should be interred into education facilities to learn what is acceptable in non-British cultures.

Once they pass their exams, they should be put into jobs that need filling in society. Plenty of floors to mop out there youknow.
Suits me. I lived in Denmark and took Danish lessons, got a job, paid taxes, didn’t break any laws and I got on just fine.

You make excellent points.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Talk of interring refugees in education facilities. It’s really quite disturbing. And in no country that this happens are the results good.

Most refugees I’ve met know more about British history, can speak English better and are willing to work harder than a lot of Brits I’ve met.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Talk of interring refugees in education facilities. It’s really quite disturbing. And in no country that this happens are the results good.

Most refugees I’ve met know more about British history, can speak English better and are willing to work harder than a lot of Brits I’ve met.
What would be the harm if they were humanely run, with the aim of teaching them basic English, teaching them the laws of the land, how tax works, how criminality hurts the nation and themselves. I’m not suggesting a brutal dystopian regime, I’m talking not letting people literally off the boat in a completely alien land, with different rules on tolerance, women’s equality in society, things British people on the whole are raised to know.

Are you telling me people from Afghanistan or Syria would not benefit in any way from this?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Tax payer funded trip in a Chinook for a 67 mile journey ?

You should see the state of the roads down here. And the trains :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are they still full of lorries queuing to get to Dover?
I wouldn't be able to drive that far today to check. It took the missus an hour to get back from Canterbury (normally a 10 minute journey) earlier. I tried to drive to Macknade (which is on the A2 on the edge of Faversham) and gave up, and had to shop in Morrisons :eek:. And the last train I took from London had only one working toilet (but there was no paper and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned for days, which was nerve racking for me).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What would be the harm if they were humanely run, with the aim of teaching them basic English, teaching them the laws of the land, how tax works, how criminality hurts the nation and themselves. I’m not suggesting a brutal dystopian regime, I’m talking not letting people literally off the boat in a completely alien land, with different rules on tolerance, women’s equality in society, things British people on the whole are raised to know.

Are you telling me people from Afghanistan or Syria would not benefit in any way from this?
I am fundamentally opposed to interring anyone without due process.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

What do you think charitable organisations like Care4Calais do? It is about providing the guidance and support to enable refugees to understand the kind of things you talk about. I know because they run sessions and services in the Community Centre in Camden in which I volunteer. There is the greatest concentration of Afghan refugees anywhere in the UK in Camden and a large proportion of them are young men who are desperate to learn and contribute. Money would be far better spent supporting this work than compulsory education programmes; a concept with dubious historical precedents.

I have to take issue with your statements about people from Turkey. I am sorry about your family’s experiences in Bodrum but Turkey is a very culturally (and politically) diverse country and the vast majority of people of Turkish (and Turkish Cypriot) origin in the UK contribute very positively and it is very dangerous to generalise. Again, this comes from my experience of living in or around North London for almost 40 years where they are a significant part of the community and economy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports