Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If the current season is now cancelled....

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Future Question of Sport question...

Which was the only Premier League side to not win a league fixture in 2020?

If you add 'and not get relegated' to that question i'd be happy!!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
League positions as is but no promotion or relegation. They will need to do something for championship teams that have overspent.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Match day bar staff, catering staff, stewards etc. won't presumably get paid. Lots of others up and down the country will be laid off/lose their jobs with reduced or no pay. If UEFA, the FA, the PL and the EFL all declare a temporary reduction in players' wages, citing force majeur surely they'd have a pretty good case. If the players/the PFA/the agents all started rushing to court, they certainly wouldn't get much support.

Agree totally

Except the Albion have confirmed all the above mentioned match day staff will be paid for the final five matches at home, regardless of whether the matches are played or not. Well done Albion.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
It’s my understanding that the virus can’t survive in warmer / hotter weather, so while I accept there’s no guarantees with our weather, May is usually a decent month for weather and you would hope that we pass our peak by then and while it will still be around in some capacity we should be able to resume in June. But I appreciate the weather has a part to play in making that possible.

:shrug:

"As at 11:00 hrs on 13 March 2020, there were 156 confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19), including 3 deaths, in Australia."
https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert

I am no disease expert, but this seems to kill that myth.As others have said, the human body runs at about 37 deg C, so I have no idea where this 'can't survive in warmer weather' stuff started.
Perhaps it is distantly related to the thought that people tend to be outside more in warmer weather, rather than grouped indoors with others in the winter? If so, I can see the reasoning that it is harder to catch the diease from another person while sitting in a park than, for example a pub - but that is about proximity, not temperature, surely? The spread from person to person may be slower in the winter - but that is a long way from saying that the virus can not survive in warmer weather...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Except the Albion have confirmed all the above mentioned match day staff will be paid for the final five matches at home, regardless of whether the matches are played or not. Well done Albion.

Fair enough for Brighton - well done the Albion.

Thousands of people will be losing all or part of their incomes due to this, and it'll affect them a darn sight more than a footballer on tens of thousands a week having to take a cut.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Indeed.

I would like the local "big Premier League club" to financially support their local smaller club eg - we help out Crawley if necessary (only enough to prevent any potential closure).

Of course, won't happen on so many levels.
Is that the same Crawley that told us to do one when we needed a ground to survive in the late 1990s or another one? I'd rather we helped out our friends from stad de clad...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So could they:

Finish the league as it stands, no relegation from the PL, 2 teams in the auto places come up from the Championship and next season is a 22 team PL, with 5 teams relegated at the end to re-balance.

Below therefore no teams relegated from the Championship, 2 up from League One, again, 5 team relegation next season and so on.

Europe places resolved as it currently stands, or play offs or something. That's a lot easier than relegation or promotion.

I see the main points well, but I think a few lawyers would be rubbing their hands at this one. Especially as fifth place could mean a ECL spot.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Is that the same Crawley that told us to do one when we needed a ground to survive in the late 1990s or another one? I'd rather we helped out our friends from stad de clad...
No, the Crawley that said that was Crawley Council, not Crawley Town FC.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

The club were more than happy to agree to ground sharing in the same way that they are happy to host our ladies team.

It’s strange how some like to rewrite history.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Fake news, Crawley Town FC was happy to share, Crawley Borough council was not willing to allow it. The Council paid for the building of the Stadium, and owns it, they invited BHAFC to help meet some of the costs of building, and share the Stadium with Crawley Town, BHAFC declined as they were not wanting a permanent arrangement, The Council then rejected the later request from BHAFC to use the Stadium on alternate weekends to CTFC, on a season by season basis. Nothing to do with CTFC.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Fake news, Crawley Town FC was happy to share, Crawley Borough council was not willing to allow it. The Council paid for the building of the Stadium, and owns it, they invited BHAFC to help meet some of the costs of building, and share the Stadium with Crawley Town, BHAFC declined as they were not wanting a permanent arrangement, The Council then rejected the later request from BHAFC to use the Stadium on alternate weekends to CTFC, on a season by season basis. Nothing to do with CTFC.

Yep. Backward, narrow-minded, f**kwit, clueless council members. Rot in hell you utter scum.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I'd quite like some money back in the way of a refund on my season ticket.

Some back of an envelope calculations:

20,000 season ticket holders paying £35 per game (on average) for 5 games would amount to £3,500,000. Which is quite a lot.
The club income each year recently has been around £140,000,000.
So to refund all the season ticket holders for lost games in full would reduce income by around 2.5%.

Is that a lot? Is it too much for the club to lose?
I guess it could increase the seasons' loss figure from around £25m to around £28m.

It would be nice, I think, to see the club make attempts to compensate. Even some combination of reduced DD, shop vouchers and a free FA cup game or two would be appreciated.

A straight-bat "no refunds, see the T&Cs" stance would be, I believe, disappointing.

I'll try and keep my chin up shall I?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

20,000 season ticket holders paying £35 per game (on average) for 5 games would amount to £3,500,000. Which is quite a lot.
So to refund all the season ticket holders for lost games in full would reduce income by around 2.5%.

I guess it could increase the seasons' loss figure from around £25m to around £28m.

It would be nice, I think, to see the club make attempts to compensate. Even some combination of reduced DD, shop vouchers and a free FA cup game or two would be appreciated.

A straight-bat "no refunds, see the T&Cs" stance would be, I believe, disappointing.

It will be shop vouchers with a redemption date ending the day before orders/sales can be made of our 2020/21 kit.

Thus clearing all the unwanted stock, including naff casual wear.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Whatever they refund, essentially one man is writing everyone a cheque.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here