Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If the Albion were taken over by Middle Eastern or a US company

If Albion were taken over by a Middle Eastern or US company

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The question is far too broad, foreign doesn't always mean bad

The most important thing is we have a fan owner and he loves the Albion. Even if he sold I don't think he give up a controlling stake and certainly wouldn't just sell to the highest bidder, any partner would need to buy into the clubs values

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Given Mr Chairman's heritage I would think him selling out to a nasty Arab state (they all have shocking human / lgbtq+ rights issues) for sportswashing purposes extremely unlikely. But if he did, I would be off to Woodside Road.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I started following (I say following rather than supporting as I didn't come from a footballng family so wasn't taken to matches - it wasn't until 1967 tat I actually was able to get to a match) my local league team (and place of my birth) as an 8 year od in the 1950 I neither knew nor cared who the drectors/owners were. When I was 9 we moved from Polegate to out of Sussex - the informationn fir following the Albion then was the result on Sports Report on Saturday afternoon, a fifteen/20 second match report on 'Sport in the West' a bit later on the Home Service regional programme, and the result and table in the Sunday papers.
All my adut life I've lived even further away than Gluceseter, where I live now - and particularly in Scotland in the 70s the paper hardly even mentioned Englisf football, let alone division 3. My Albion watching was a quick train trip from Worthing to Hove when visiting Mum and Dad for the weekend - when the club moved away for the Goldstone and Mum and Dad needed more of my time when visiting, this stopped. I was more aware of who the manager was by now - McCauley, Goodwin, Saward, Clough, etc - but still directors? Huh! - who cared?
It was only when the asset strippers arrived that it started to matter.
The point I'm making, I suppose, is that for large parts of my Albion supporting life I have neither known or cared who owned the club, or who the directors were - so I suppose, as an almost ecclusively an armchair fan these days, I could just return to that mode again - follow the team, just the team, not realy knowing or caring abour whoever/whatever was behind the team.

Last edited:

Gonzo BHA

Sep 3, 2004
BN1
I'd still go and support the team, I don't thin anything could come between me and my love for the club, however it would certainly be tainted.

I would much rather continue as we are under TB and see where it takes us, there is something much more appealing doing things this way than copying the Man City/Newcastle model.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
The question is far too broad, foreign doesn't always mean bad

The most important thing is we have a fan owner and he loved the Albion. Even if he sold I don't think he give up a controlling stake and certainly wouldn't just sell to the highest bidder, any partner would need to buy into the clubs values
Must admit I have been thinking recently what on earth Boely gets out of "owning" Chelsea? They were already an established successful football club who had won the biggest prize in European football, how can he better that, what's the point? Why didn't he give Tony a bell and say, let's go halves, I'll provide huge amounts of Wonga and you carry on being the brains. Would we then be able to structure our wages so that we didn't have to unload great players as soon as one of the rich (not big!) clubs came calling. If some mega rich entity, that wasn't tainted, wanted to be involved with the club I think I would be happy as long as TB was still involved and running things.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
As others say it would depend on the record of the new owner if it were a tech billionaire who buys us a his personal cash dump and plaything, or hollywood star like Wrexham then fine, but if it were a company that is backed by a petro state or someone looking how to wring every penny out of his "customers" also known as fans then i'd probably follow from afar, the odd streaming of a match and keep and keen eye on whats happening.
God forbid we end up like Palace it's looking like their yank co-owners have got bored of that money pit.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Would you still be an ardent Albion fan?

I wouldn’t, f*** that….I think and hope
How could any long time/life Brighton fan stop being a Brighton fan?

I just don't get how that's even possible?

I've supported Brighton through the highs of Mike Bamber/Mullery the distress and protests of Archer/Belotti, loss of ground, going to Priestfield. Spending years getting drenched in the Withdean west stand, watching joys of Bobby Z Adams mk1, watching the turgid shit of Adams Mk2, marching for Falmer, the unbelievable style of Gus promotion season, the cluelessness of Hyypia, the nearly years of Hughton promotions, then the nearly years of Hughton relegations now to the Halycon days of today via Potter and RDZ in our spanking Stadium all thanks to the best owner we could ever wish for.

I selected "other" as obviously I want Bloom to stay, "IF" he or his family (as die hard Albion fans) ever left the ownership of our club, I'd trust there is a valid reason, as one thing is certain Blooms love of our club puts Albion above money or his personal wealth.

If that ever ended up with Albion having US ownership or middle east or anything in between, first I'd trust Bloom had a valid reason and he or his family would be stringent in due diligence, so on that basis I'd be open minded, and based on what happened next I'd be ready to protest again, if ever needed, or get behind the new ownership if they put the club/community centre but something I could never ever do is stop supporting Brighton and Hove Albion.

I may die happy or sad but I will die with Albion in my veins as a lifelong supporter.

Luckily for us, I think Tony Bloom is the same!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How could any long time/life Brighton fan stop being a Brighton fan?

I just don't get how that's even possible?

I've supported Brighton through the highs of Mike Bamber/Mullery the distress and protests of Archer/Belotti, loss of ground, going to Priestfield. Spending years getting drenched in the Withdean west stand, watching joys of Bobby Z Adams mk1, watching the turgid shit of Adams Mk2, marching for Falmer, the unbelievable style of Gus promotion season, the cluelessness of Hyypia, the nearly years of Hughton promotions, then the nearly years of Hughton relegations now to the Halycon days of today via Potter and RDZ in our spanking Stadium all thanks to the best owner we could ever wish for.

I selected "other" as obviously I want Bloom to stay, "IF" he or his family (as die hard Albion fans) ever left the ownership of our club, I'd trust there is a valid reason, as one thing is certain Blooms love of our club puts Albion above money or his personal wealth.

If that ever ended up with Albion having US ownership or middle east or anything in between, first I'd trust Bloom had a valid reason and he or his family would be stringent in due diligence, so on that basis I'd be open minded, and based on what happened next I'd be ready to protest again, if ever needed, or get behind the new ownership if they put the club/community centre but something I could never ever do is stop supporting Brighton and Hove Albion.

I may die happy or sad but I will die with Albion in my veins as a lifelong supporter.

Luckily for us, I think Tony Bloom is the same!
We are all different. Comparisons to Archer and Stanley don’t stand up for me, they were trying to kill our club. A middle eastern state, mega rich US company would give us the ability to buy anybody and go a bit Newcastle, United or City. I’d lose interest tbh, glory hunting is not my thing. In fact I was probably at my most ardent as a Albion fan during the war years and at Withdean. Maybe I just like being the underdog :shrug:

That said, what is going on now is unbelievable but I don’t have the passion I had when Archer and then Knight were in charge. I accept that’s weird and out of step with most fans, but I am bloody loving it anyway.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’d stop going to football regularly ….definitely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here