Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If sold, which player will Brighton get the most money for?

If sold, who will Brighton get the most money for?

• Alexis Mac Allister

Votes: 102 50.5%
  • Moisés Caicedo

Votes: 90 44.6%
  • Robert Sánchez

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Kaoru Mitoma

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Another Player

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Right now, Ali Mac.

When we look back at things 10 years from now, not inconceivable it’s Caicedo. Won’t be Sanchez as they don’t go for as much unless they’re Manuel Neuer good.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Lets dial it down a bit eh. Yes he's clearly a wonderful talent, but to decare him as probably the best player in the history of BHAFC, after 23 appearances, might just be over-egging the omlette a tad. Its not like Bissouma has set the world on fire since he left is it, yet there were some on here who saw him as the 2nd coming as well.
Not sure a footballer’s talent can be assessed entirely on the club he is currently playing for - I mean obviously as far as market value he can of course - but in terms of a footballer’s overall talent - in the ‘wrong’ club, a player on excellent stats at his previous club can look mediocre on the field at his new one. Players can improve with transfers ‘up’ or look poorer than they did in their previous club. If a club owner has decided to have a shopping list for example, following change of owner, coach or after a large investment of funds, a lack of research might mean round pegs try to be squeezed into square holes - all clubs run that risk of course but some more than others - Tuchel/Boehly might fit that category as regards a few players!

Last edited:

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Lets dial it down a bit eh. Yes he's clearly a wonderful talent, but to decare him as probably the best player in the history of BHAFC, after 23 appearances, might just be over-egging the omlette a tad. Its not like Bissouma has set the world on fire since he left is it, yet there were some on here who saw him as the 2nd coming as well.

Disagree.

It's quite clear that he's already one of our best players at just 21... If not the best player.

He's got everything. He's probably better now than Biss. He's going to be a worldie, playing at the very highest level, eg Barcelona or City.

We've never had a player of his calibre before.

Maybe if he was 24, 25, I would say he's just peaking... But he's not, he's continually demonstrating as a young player with us and with Ecuador that he's very much the real deal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure a footballer’s can be assessed entirely on the club he is currently playing for - I mean obviously as far as market value he can of course - but in terms of a footballer’s overall talent - in the ‘wrong’ club, a player on excellent stats at his previous club can look mediocre on the field at his new one. Players can improve with transfers ‘up’ or look poorer than they did in their previous club. If a club owner has decided to have a shopping list for example, following change of owner, coach or after a large investment of funds, a lack of research might mean round pegs try to be squeezed into square holes - all clubs run that risk of course but some more than others - Tuchel/Boehly might fit that category as regards a few players!
I don't disagree with any of that.

I'm just struggling not to roll my eyes a bit when people are so ready to declare certain players as being "the best player in the history of BHA". I'm not going to argue that the current crop isn't the best in our history - our final position last season proves it, as well as how we have pushed on so far this season. But its still a leap to peg Moises as probably our best player EVER, which is what some were saying about Biss as well.

Some calming down is required. IMO.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Disagree.

It's quite clear that he's already one of our best players at just 21... If not the best player.

He's got everything. He's probably better now than Biss. He's going to be a worldie, playing at the very highest level, eg Barcelona or City.

We've never had a player of his calibre before.

Maybe if he was 24, 25, I would say he's just peaking... But he's not, he's continually demonstrating as a young player with us and with Ecuador that he's very much the real deal.
He's a terrific player and a great prospect. But you're still stretching to announce him the BHA GOAT, IMO.

All about opinions though. And I've perhaps overloaded on the acronyms.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Mac Allisters stock is highest at the moment... but Caicedo will probably turn out to be our best player of all time imo. He's considerably better than Bissouma was to begin with, and a lot younger.

Predict that Caicedo will be our first ever 9 figure sale.
Better than Mark Lawrenson?

Sorry got to disagree on that one, in his prime, had Lawro stayed injury free he would have been lauded as World Class, ie he would have got in one of the top 4 international teams in his position at that time.

Moises is good, but is he really going to be that good?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Better than Mark Lawrenson?

Sorry got to disagree on that one, in his prime, had Lawro stayed injury free he would have been lauded as World Class, ie he would have got in one of the top 4 international teams in his position at that time.

Moises is good, but is he really going to be that good?
worth pointing out another contender is in the top international team in the world. no speculation, has the medal and hangover.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’d be very disappointed to get less than £70m for MacAllister, similar for Caicedo. Subject to release clauses we may not know about.
I can't see a club offering that. A very tidy player who had a decent World Cup in a what is almost a one man team.

I couldn't see him starting regularly in a top four team.

He's worth far more to us than he is to them.

I can't see a team forking that out. There is value elsewhere.

Okay, Chelsea....

I'd put his contract at £50m, but a sale at £70m. But I think he's better kept. It's less than Cucu, but that was daylight robbery.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Mac
Proven PL pedigree… THEN-
Argentina WC winner
Major (under then OVER) factor in Generational Argentina win
Will go further under RDZ tutelage
For the avoidance of doubt… major contributor in Argentinian World Cup WIN

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If you’re talking about a short timeframe then either Ali Mac or Caicedo but when Mitoma eventually gets sold reckon he’ll go for the highest amount of that lot.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Are you saying that Lawrenson was better than Ali Mac?
Difficult to go across the decades, case in point is Jeff Powell putting Messi behind Pele and Maradona in the GOAT debate, and puts John Charles before both Best and Ronaldo.

Attribute by attribute I still think Lawrenson overall is better than any player we’ve ever seen in an Albion shirt in the modern era ( ie Mullery Mark One onwards)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So are you saying Alexis Mac is better than Lawrenson?
going by your yard stick of getting into a top international side, looks like it. though was more about being better than Caicedo.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Difficult to go across the decades, case in point is Jeff Powell putting Messi behind Pele and Maradona in the GOAT debate, and puts John Charles before both Best and Ronaldo.

Attribute by attribute I still think Lawrenson overall is better than any player we’ve ever seen in an Albion shirt in the modern era ( ie Mullery Mark One onwards)
Yes and no. On the one hand, Lawrenson was a cultured centre back who was strong and comfortable on the ball, then went on to win everything at club level with Liverpool.

On the other hand, Mac Allister has just scored at, then won the world cup. Ali Mac wins it for me simply because I watched as a Brighton and Hove Albion player literally ran the WORLD CUP FINAL for an hour. He was the best player on the pitch in that time, by a mile and assisted a goal. Better than Messi, better than Mbappe (in that hour).

Think about those words: World cup final, comparisons with the 2 best players in the world. For all that Lawrenson was world class, you will never see that said of the likes of a current Albion player again in your life time.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It will be the 20 goal a season striker we sign for £5 million from South America and sell to Chelsea for £80 million!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here