Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icelandic international linked

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Any relation to Bjork? They've got the same surname....

*fingers crossed*

Given that the entire population of Iceland is not much more than Brighton, there's a fair chance that most of them are related to each other.
Having said that, they don't really have surnames, if I remember correctly. Rather their second names reflect the immediate father (or mother) of the child and not the historic family lineage.So this bloke's second name ( Gudmundsson)simply means that his father's first name was Gudmund, and Bjork's second name (Gudmundsdottir) simply means that her father's first name was also Gudmund. Gudmund is quite a common first name so it's unlikely to be the same Gudmund (if it was, they'd be brother and sister), and they're not that likely to be closely related.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Given that the entire population of Iceland is not much more than Brighton, there's a fair chance that most of them are related to each other.
Having said that, they don't really have surnames, if I remember correctly. Rather their second names reflect the immediate father (or mother) of the child and not the historic family lineage.So this bloke's second name ( Gudmundsson)simply means that his father's first name was Gudmund, and Bjork's second name (Gudmundsdottir) simply means that her father's first name was also Gudmund. Gudmund is quite a common first name so it's unlikely to be the same Gudmund (if it was, they'd be brother and sister), and they're not that likely to be closely related.

Mostly right. Gudmundsson is 'son of Gudmundur' (rather than Gudmund), and rather than being 'usually' the father's name, its actually sex-specific (normally) - i.e. all boys are <father'sfirstname>sson and all girls are <mother'sfirstname>sdottir. I have no idea why Bjork bucked this convention and took her father's name - its very unusual to do so in my experience (I have many Icelandic business clients). Bjork's mother was called Hildur - she should by convention be Bjork Hildursdottir. Her parents split up when she was little, so maybe she took her father's name then.

(To illustrate the convention futher, Bjork's own two children have different surnames - her daughter is 'Bjarkarsdottir' and her son is 'Porsson'.)

#Bjorkgeek

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Mostly right. Gudmundsson is 'son of Gudmundur' (rather than Gudmund), and rather than being 'usually' the father's name, its actually sex-specific (normally) - i.e. all boys are <father'sfirstname>sson and all girls are <mother'sfirstname>sdottir. I have no idea why Bjork bucked this convention and took her father's name - its very unusual to do so in my experience (I have many Icelandic business clients). Bjork's mother was called Hildur - she should by convention be Bjork Hildursdottir. Her parents split up when she was little, so maybe she took her father's name then.

(To illustrate the convention futher, Bjork's own two children have different surnames - her daughter is 'Bjarkarsdottir' and her son is 'Porsson'.)

#Bjorkgeek

I can only assume that trying to trace your Icelandic family tree is a nightmare.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

#Bjorkgeek

Where the **** are the thumbs when you really really need them??

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Would be immense but surely more in the Everton level of ambition than us. Deffo an Orlandi replacement or even Barnes' role if stuck to 4-2-3-1

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Agreed. Thanks to Soistes and HKFC for putting me right! Do you get this depth of knowledge with any other club?

Can't wait for the inevitable Icelandic music thread.....

Ooh Olafur Arnalds and Hildur Gudonotodir (sp?) Must be top of that list.

Pretty sure they're both Icelandic..

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Ooh Olafur Arnalds and Hildur Gudonotodir (sp?) Must be top of that list.

Pretty sure they're both Icelandic..

I saw Olafur in the church in Hove last year. Amazing.

I'll put in mum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chFmFpTc21s

and of course the genius, proper genius, someone who's head and shoulders ahead of anyone else in music invention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvAfQyHBqxw

I saw her too in London performing this at the Ally Pally. Looking forward to the DVD of the show being released soon. The whole show was amazing and Crystalline nearly blew my head off.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hafdis Huld, Emiliana Torrini, Olaf Arnalds (Olafur's cousin - Bjork is a big fan of hers), FM Belfast, Lay Low, Gus Gus, Seabear, Aminiia......the list goes on and on.

Hafdis Huld is my favourite though. Completely in love with her.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed. Thanks to Soistes and HKFC for putting me right! Do you get this depth of knowledge with any other club?

Can't wait for the inevitable Icelandic music thread.....

It looks like this is it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here