Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"I wouldn't want us to go up this season"

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
You can never, ever, be ready for the Premier League, because of the massive financial differential. So why not go up now rather than later?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I still can't get my head around the possibility of us playing top-flight football. Just like I can't quite get my head around having a proper stadium, players of the quality that we do and a future as a competitive club. This season has been immense and the league we're currently in is brilliantly tight where ANYONE in the top half still has a chance of promotion.

I don't want this season to end! Would I turn down promotion? Hell no!

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Everybody said we'd get a hiding every week last time we were promoted to the top division. It didn't happen and we managed three years. You have to grasp the opportunity when it comes along. Sure I have loved this season in the Championship, and would not complain if we stayed down. But the ultimate is to hit the Premiership and at least try and stay there. Look what people said about Hull and Wigan, and albeit not for much longer, Wigan are still there, and averaging a lower crowd than us.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I tend towards the argument that we have got to up or else some of our best players may leave

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I tend towards the argument that we have got to up or else some of our best players may leave

This is also important.

People like Buckley and Bridcutt will want to play in teh top league, and like everyone they'll want it NOW.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
The fact is that our first season back in the top flight is likely to end in relegation. What we'll need to do then is use the parachute payments and name recognition to have a go at attracting the players we'll need to bounce back and stay there. There might even be a few seasons of yo-yoing.

Of course that doesn't mean we shouldn't aim higher, Norwich and Swansea this year have really shown what can be achieved. But my point is that our first appearance in the Premiership is likely to be a short-lived affair, so we may as well get it out of the way as soon as possible, because I don't think we'll ever truly be "ready" for the Premiership until we've spent a season struggling (and probably failing) to stay in it. After that, it'll be full steam ahead.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
We saw that already at Liverpool. That's enough for me until we have a MUCH stronger squad.

Erm... Sunderland?

Erm... Newcastle?

Erm... great display against Liverpool at home - unlucky not to come away with at least a draw.

Even the result at Anfield was harsh. Liam was very unlucky and (IMHO) could do nothing and playing the ball into your own net does not help. We had a great first half in that game.

As far as I am concerned it would be MAGIC if we went up.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Also, luckily, we have a FAN as our chairman.

The parachute payments have almost become a poisened chalice for many clubs as they have some PLONKER in charge who goes and SPUNKS his new money on has-beens and over-inflated wages.

I think we all know Bloom would stand his ground with the parachute payments. Get the training ground financed, recoup some of the funds he put into the stadium (I would imagine), and invest sensibly in the playing squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here