[Albion] I think we do need to talk about Bruno

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Mostly covered by my answer to Springal. I'm not defending it in any way but there are other clubs around the world who would go a lot further. That was my point. Earlier in the thread you were telling Swanny that anger can be good (punk etc) and it absolutely can. It's about being nice at the right time and angry at the right time.

We're a club with a history of niceness. The early days (before it cost too much) of guest beer in the away end, same sightlines and padding in the away end, clapping the away attendance (remember that?) and a very reactive and unintimidating atmosphere. Coupled with giving people long contracts and forgiving their early mistakes in the name of a project.

Mostly that gets us called a "model well run club". But that's now Ashworth and Potter who have failed to repay that niceness and loyalty. It's now every season that the Palace Ultras take the piss out of the ground rules and no one does anything. Every bad run at home gets worse as the crowd sink inside themselves instead of getting behind the team. At times we are too nice, or at least nice when we should be angry.
Brighton never has been what I call a proper football town our fan base is spread far and wide across leafy Sussex. Look around the Amex for some it’s just something to do on a Saturday two blokes chatting about anything but football during games is common place. We don’t have that die hard mental fanatical support like the two North London giants, Merseyside, the North East, Sheffield or the two sides of Manchester.

I know exactly where you are coming from this little message to Bruno would be scratching the surface in any of the above mentioned Cities and the responses on here are ones of shocked middle class supporters who are still congratulating Graham on his pay rise. Chelsea aren’t a big club I’ve watched us play a league game there standing on crumbling terraces with a gate of 10,000 fans, it’s a recently manufactured club in my view.

It’s descriptive of boo gate, how dare they boo Mr Potter don’t they realise they used to once play at the Withdean. That response would also never happen at one of the big City clubs. The press story would be rewritten, Potter under pressure as fans show their frustration.

Yep we are to feckin nice Bruno sneaked out the back door hoping no one would notice.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Chelsea aren’t a big club I’ve watched us play a league game there standing on crumbling terraces with a gate of 10,000 fans, it’s a recently manufactured club in my view.

Sadly, it’s 2022 and by any measure taken today, they are a big club. This may not sit well with whatever time period you like to hide your mindset in but stating they are not a big club is frankly absurd. Sorry to have to call you out on that and I take your view that they weren’t a big club 50 years ago.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's undoubtedly out of order but it's not surprising. How do you think AC Milan Ultras would react to an AC Milan legend moving to Juve after six games of the best season they've ever seen along with every first team coach? Brighton fans are way too nice a lot of the time.
Nah stuff like that is pathetic

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Bruno was a god to us all.... he is now a nothing... his wordless departure signals his casual indifference to what he has previously stated is his home from home... he is a wealthy football man, who is chasing more riches, it's that simple.

If he wanders within earshot of me on the 29th, he will hear my displeasure, he wont care of course, he has already got a new home from home.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Mostly that gets us called a "model well run club". But that's now Ashworth and Potter who have failed to repay that niceness and loyalty. It's now every season that the Palace Ultras take the piss out of the ground rules and no one does anything. Every bad run at home gets worse as the crowd sink inside themselves instead of getting behind the team. At times we are too nice, or at least nice when we should be angry.

Won’t disagree with any of this post to be honest

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sadly, it’s 2022 and by any measure taken today, they are a big club. This may not sit well with whatever time period you like to hide your mindset in but stating they are not a big club is frankly absurd. Sorry to have to call you out on that and I take your view that they weren’t a big club 50 years ago.
I’m only going back thirty years big clubs have always been just that Chelsea are a rich club not historically one of the London giants.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All a fair argument, but not for me.

Bruno as a senior professional/coach has missed the opportunity of advancement, and learning from someone else. There is more than one way to coach and also more than one way to play football. At Chelsea he’ll remain as far away from the top job or even Assistant coach as he ever was, and will be using the same techniques and drills that he’s been part of for three years.

To be honest though he’s already had a playing career well above Brighton and played with some world class players. I’m not sure that staying at Brighton to work with a new coach would gain him more than going to Chelsea with the squad they have

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
All a fair argument, but not for me.

Bruno as a senior professional/coach has missed the opportunity of advancement, and learning from someone else. There is more than one way to coach and also more than one way to play football. At Chelsea he’ll remain as far away from the top job or even Assistant coach as he ever was, and will be using the same techniques and drills that he’s been part of for three years.
Fair point.

I'd expect Bruno to want to work under a different head coach to pick up a new approach to coaching.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
All it took for some to see Palace Ultras as something that should be considered a direction for Brighton fans to go in was the urge to defend a hateful note against a former player who made more than 200 appearances for the club.

And the deluded excuse that it would be the same thing in Italy. It wouldn't. If a player makes 200+ games for an Italian club, helps them to the top division, moves to a bigger club and then returns - they're treated as legends because nothing takes away the good things they did for the club. In some places you are not a club legend until you stop licking the feet of the fans, you're just a legend full stop.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Bruno was a god to us all.... he is now a nothing... his wordless departure signals his casual indifference to what he has previously stated is his home from home... he is a wealthy football man, who is chasing more riches, it's that simple.

If he wanders within earshot of me on the 29th, he will hear my displeasure, he wont care of course, he has already got a new home from home.

Well....if you are going to put decent servants like Bruno on a pedestal, then prepare yourself for a fall.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You keep making excuses on behalf of whoever did this.

"It is bad but..."

Showing who you are.

No. Just like you did with Stato you've quoted words I didn't write. Either you can't read or understand the complexities of English, which I don't think for a minute or you're desperately looking for things that aren't there.

Just accept that your Pet Coach has upset quite a few people and maybe take a few days off to reflect?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No. Just like you did with Stato you've quoted words I didn't write. Either you can't read or understand the complexities of English, which I don't think for a minute or you're desperately looking for things that aren't there.

Just accept that your Pet Coach has upset quite a few people and maybe take a few days off to reflect?

Through taking this incident, relativising it "oh just imagine how it would be in Italy!" and expressing your understanding with the action "its not surprising" and "Brighton fans are too nice a lot of the time", you're making excuses on behalf of the **** who did it. Of course you don't understand it yourself as you're not a logical thinker and never has been at least for the years I've been here.

Maybe you should move to the forest or a cave for a few decades and leave behind a nicer and better world.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

He wasn’t a “god” to us all, and equally he isn’t now a “nothing”. I don’t think he is “chasing more riches” and it’s not that simple. And he wont be hearing my displeasure on Oct 29th - or anything worse - however much i would have preferred him to stay. But there are other coaching links to the squad still there ( Lallana , Crofts is a smart interim move)
But Potter nurtured him as a coach , there’s no guarantee that any of the candidates would have necessarily wanted to accommodate him and he’s ambitious . So I get it. I expect many other fans do as well even if bitterly disappointed.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Very strong 'she won't let me see the kids' vibes here.

What a bizarre thing to do, when you REALLY think about it. A guy has moved jobs – for WHATEVER reason (no-one on here actually knows) –*and suddenly he's got messages like that on the door of a restaurant he goes to.

Imagine that being the thing that makes you *so* angry you have to handwrite a note about it :shrug:

'Once a seagull, always a seagull' is quite possibly one of the shittest phrases going.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
He wasn’t a “god” to us all, and equally he isn’t now a “nothing”. I don’t think he is “chasing more riches” and it’s not that simple. And he wont be hearing my displeasure on Oct 29th - or anything worse - however much i would have preferred him to stay. But there are other coaching links to the squad still there ( Lallana , Crofts is a smart interim move)
But Potter nurtured him as a coach , there’s no guarantee that any of the candidates would have necessarily wanted to accommodate him and he’s ambitious . So I get it. I expect many other fans do as well even if bitterly disappointed.

Absolutely nailed it

Let's all move on

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Subjectivity eh!?...

Lallana wasn't and isnt a coach.. a mentor to some yes.

Crofts also is not a "smart move"... it's the only move left, he is the current last resort. He may prove a decent option to promote eventually into the 1st team group, but his record with the youngsters isnt ground breaking to date.

Bruno has earned any derision thrown at him,... anyway, footy is better for tribal emotions, so that's what I predict on the 29th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports