[Albion] I think we do need to talk about Bruno

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russconha

Jul 8, 2012
Littlehampton
Bit harsh imho. At what point does 25 years ago stop becoming a reference for what is happening today? Some very valid sentiment in B-right-on’s post I’d suggest.

Fair enough, I disagree tho as we have been in worse shit before and I don't think there is ever a good time to forget our history or we start sounding like a bunch of entitled whingebags. It's a kick in the bollocks for sure but the club has never been in a better position in the league, financially or with quality of players. This season hangs in the balance but it's not all doom and gloom.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bruno has enough credit in the bank to be forgiven and will always be an Albion legend. But I’m not gonna lie - I’m disappointed. Once a seagull, always a seagull.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Bruno has enough credit in the bank to be forgiven and will always be an Albion legend. But I’m not gonna lie - I’m disappointed. Once a seagull, always a seagull.

Sheebo I see like myself you are part of the 50 year club, do you not think the last few days has almost seen us rewriting the definition of a ‘Club Legend’?

When we started watching the likes of Sir Norman, Brian Powney, moving on to the likes of Sully, Wardy, Nobby and Fozzie could be almost certainly classed as ‘legends’.

Do the events of last Thursday prove that when push came to shove both Bruno and Ben Roberts thought more of a pound note than the Albion?

And as the top end of the game becomes polluted with money, will the next player we think is a Legend do exactly the same?

Part of me doesn’t blame them, they are employees pure and simple, they were paid to be at the club, whilst, in both of our cases, we’ve paid a 100 years between us to watch the club, as have thousands of others.

Maybe the upshot of this will be, that whilst we will always laud great players and characters that grace the Amex, but Legends? Not for me sorry ⚽

PS In my eyes Rottindean born Steve Piper, the Lewis Dunk of his generation, was also a Legend, just a shame he didn’t play enough games, 250, to warrant his picture on the big screen at the time of his death in December 2017.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sheebo I see like myself you are part of the 50 year club, do you not think the last few days has almost seen us rewriting the definition of a ‘Club Legend’?

When we started watching the likes of Sir Norman, Brian Powney, moving on to the likes of Sully, Wardy, Nobby and Fozzie could be almost certainly classed as ‘legends’.

Do the events of last Thursday prove that when push came to shove both Bruno and Ben Roberts thought more of a pound note than the Albion?

And as the top end of the game becomes polluted with money, will the next player we think is a Legend do exactly the same?

Part of me doesn’t blame them, they are employees pure and simple, they were paid to be at the club, whilst, in both of our cases, we’ve paid a 100 years between us to watch the club, as have thousands of others.

Maybe the upshot of this will be, that whilst we will always laud great players and characters that grace the Amex, but Legends? Not for me sorry ⚽

PS In my eyes Rottindean born Steve Piper, the Lewis Dunk of his generation, was also a Legend, just a shame he didn’t play enough games, 250, to warrant his picture on the big screen at the time of his death in December 2017.

Why the need to have a little pop at the club in your final couple of lines? I can’t remember if his picture was shown on the big screen or not but there was at least one double page tribute to him in the match programme.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I’ve been watching the Albion 30 years mate - you’ve met me a few times so god knows how old you thought I looked :lol:

Legend is another word that is a bit subjective isn’t it. Calde for me is a legend. Knockaert is. Rosenior is close (the class of the guy and part of THAT promotion squad.) Football never fails to surprise with its fickleness. I didn’t think Bruno would do that - move back to Spain or whatever, fine, but leave the club an even bigger hole than it needed to be by going to plastic bridge… too far. But I can forgive once the dust settles - I just hope they all fall flat on their face if I’m honest.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn’t know Steve Piper had died :down:

One of the stalwarts when I first started watching the Albion :down:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Why the need to have a little pop at the club in your final couple of lines? I can’t remember if his picture was shown on the big screen or not but there was at least one double page tribute to him in the match programme.

Not a pop Tim, just an observation, I was privileged enough to look after Steve when he passed away, the criteria was 250 games, which bizarrely meant and hopefully not for a long time, that when Wardy dies he wouldn’t get the honour but when Robert Codner goes he does 🤷

I won’t lie on here at the time the family found it upsetting but since Steve’s death the club have re looked at the criteria and it’s now going to be addressed on the death of individual players.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I’ve been watching the Albion 30 years mate - you’ve met me a few times so god knows how old you thought I looked :lol:

Legend is another word that is a bit subjective isn’t it. Calde for me is a legend. Knockaert is. Rosenior is close (the class of the guy and part of THAT promotion squad.) Football never fails to surprise with its fickleness. I didn’t think Bruno would do that - move back to Spain or whatever, fine, but leave the club an even bigger hole than it needed to be by going to plastic bridge… too far. But I can forgive once the dust settles - I just hope they all fall flat on their face if I’m honest.

Sorry old boy, must have misread thought you were one of the 72-73 bods, my actual 50th, 23/4/73, anniversary match is Man City. 👍

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He was and continues to be a legend for what he did on the pitch for Brighton. Part of the coaching staff was just a bonus.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nicked off Facebook

FBB06311-6B1D-48B4-BBFD-621CE9C0C820.jpg

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not a pop Tim, just an observation, I was privileged enough to look after Steve when he passed away, the criteria was 250 games, which bizarrely meant and hopefully not for a long time, that when Wardy dies he wouldn’t get the honour but when Robert Codner goes he does 🤷

I won’t lie on here at the time the family found it upsetting but since Steve’s death the club have re looked at the criteria and it’s now going to be addressed on the death of individual players.

Fair enough Lenny. Obviously the term “legend” is subjective but to me it centres around great service, loyalty, dignity, relationship with fans and wider community and performance. I therefore don’t classify Reinelt, Knockhaert or Potter as legends, but I do count Ward, Horton, Foster, Sully, Mullery and Dunk as such. I also count Ron Pavey, Derek Allen (ex co sec) and sally Townsend as legends of the club along with Bamber, Knight and Bloom. There are others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports