Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I think we do need to talk about Bruno

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
So because he is moving, all the work he did for ten years in the club suddenly counts for nothing?

Why?
Think everyone is hurting a bit at the moment, once we're passed all of this then I hope most fans will remember Potter as one of our greatest ever managers, and Bruno as the club legend he is.

Let's imagine Bruno had taken over as manager, then we had dropped to relegation places by Christmas. Would everyone be happy to have kept him on because of his legend status, or would most of the fanbase be asking for him to be sacked? It works both ways. Look how ruthless Bloom was with Hughton for example.

It hurts at the moment, because as fans we romanticise over the idea of legends like Bruno being at the club until he retires. But that's not going to happen if he has any ambition to progress his career, and almost certainly wouldn't be best for any of us.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
For a long time I've been of the opinion that loyalty is for football fans, not players, managers and staff. For us, it's a passion, an often unrequited love affair between a fan and a club that can't be bought or sold. For people in the game, it's a career and their means of earning money.

Am I sad to see Bruno go? Yes of course, but he got a chance to step up to the next position in his career on more money and took it. I wouldn't say that Brighton means any less to him on an emotional level. I do think he cares deeply about the club and his relationship with the fans, but I imagine he cares much more about providing a brilliant standard of living for his family.

I always preferred Calderon anyway...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well, it is a football forum so it’s kind of what it’s for. I think it perfectly natural to be a bit gutted that Potter has ripped a gigantic chunk out of the club. Most people aren’t going to buy him a cake for doing so like when Ethel in HR leaves after 25 years service to the company :)

That's fine. I completely get that. But don't you think – when you put it all in perspective (and no, I'm not on about the other major departure yesterday), people might have gone a *little* over the top with their reactions? And the level of surprise baffles me. Of course he's going to take the best people with him.

And I completely stand by my second sentence – hypocrisy of the highest order!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I am very unhappy about Bruno leaving, because he's Bruno and he's been a constant for us over the last 10 years. His reign had to end eventually, but it's a real shame it's ended as it has. Good luck to him at Chelsea, he's been a wonderful servant for us and we couldn't have asked for more from him in terms of engagement with the club and the community. He's more than earned his right to progress his career and his life.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
For a long time I've been of the opinion that loyalty is for football fans, not players, managers and staff. For us, it's a passion, an often unrequited love affair between a fan and a club that can't be bought or sold. For people in the game, it's a career and their means of earning money.

Am I sad to see Bruno go? Yes of course, but he got a chance to step up to the next position in his career on more money and took it. I wouldn't say that Brighton means any less to him on an emotional level. I do think he cares deeply about the club and his relationship with the fans, but I imagine he cares much more about providing a brilliant standard of living for his family.

Agreed - although I'm not even sure if it's about the money (obviously it's a nice bonus), but more about testing themselves at a higher level and the chance to win trophies. Even if the wages on offer were exactly the same as they're on now, I reckon they'd take the move.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The mural is being removed !

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Has Bruno actually come out and said anything to our fans who were very supportive of him? or has he just legged it and not looked over his shoulder?

DaveTurner

Jul 17, 2011

I think this is spot on and a decision we would have all made if we were in the same position. What we had was so special, so much more than just football. Will Chelsea appreciate what they have? I think Todd Bollockchops does, but I doubt that the “Shed” morons, time will tell. The chairman created our utopia and I trust him to be able to do similar again. UTA!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Has Bruno actually come out and said anything to our fans who were very supportive of him? or has he just legged it and not looked over his shoulder?

I'm guessing neither him or anyone else is going to do a lot of public communication until there's a bit more distance to the death of the Queen, as some would probably see it as disrespectful.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm guessing neither him or anyone else is going to do a lot of public communication until there's a bit more distance to the death of the Queen, as some would probably see it as disrespectful.

Disrespectful to Chelsea would be more accurate. The Queen has no relevance to a Bruno or Potter statement to Albion fans.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

We're all different, I would have said a thank you pretty soon after the event. Even if to ensure my bridges weren't burnt for any possible future return. Is the Queen really an excuse or is it now going to be like covid a ready made excuse for any failing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Disrespectful to Chelsea would be more accurate. The Queen has no relevance to a Bruno or Potter statement to Albion fans.

I'm not sure you're right about that. I'm thinking the press manager in Chelsea has told them that "now is not the time to try and steal the spotlight".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We're all different, I would have said a thank you pretty soon after the event. Even if to ensure my bridges weren't burnt for any possible future return. Is the Queen really an excuse or is it now going to be like covid a ready made excuse for any failing.

I would have as well but I don't think press managers would have agreed that talking about himself and football is appropriate right now.

Jul 7, 2003

Most clubs have stopped their communications at the moment. Plymouth made mention of this when announcing the passing of their former manager (and Albion player) Dave Smith.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Who cares what he says?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here