Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I think we do need to talk about Bruno

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Blimey, the inks not dry yet, "no plan B" give them a chance, any new manager/coach worth his sort in all likeliness is going to want his own staff.
Quite. Also, "maybe all is not as well as people thought" - what does that even mean?! The idea that there's something terrible going on beneath the surface that's resulted in us being 4th in the Premier League and in the strongest position we've literally ever been in. Okaaay :lolol:

Anyway, extra gutted about Bruno and Roberts leaving. I probably should've seen it coming but I definitely didn't.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
I loved Potter as a manager and how he came across as a person, but Bruno leaving feels worse. I feel sick, really gutted. However, taking the emotion out of it, Bruno leaving tells me one thing - he's decided he wants to develop his coaching further and then probably go into management. He can't go into management at Brighton as he doesn't have the experience. He probably wouldn't be offered the job, and even if he was at some point it would be a big risk to take it, for him and us. One thing worse than Bruno leaving would be Bruno becoming manager, failing (with us perhaps being relegated), and him being sacked. He knows this, and knows unless he wants to spend the rest of his career taking training drills and coaching at the same level (all the time with the risk of the new manager telling Bruno he's not needed), then he needs to make the break from Brighton at some point.

I know people will say it's the timing, the manner in which he's going and so on, but this is an opportunity for him to continue to learn from a coach who appears to be one of the best in England, perhaps the world. I expect him to continue working under Potter for a few more years and then taking a lower league management job (of course I might be wrong).

Bearing this in mind, I would suggest giving the bloke a hard time and booing if/when he returns to the AMEX, or just seeing him around Brighton, is not a good idea for two reasons:
1. It would just be wrong. He's been at Brighton for just over TEN YEARS I believe. Exactly how long must a player, manager, coach/whatever stay at the club before they're allowed to work somewhere else? I've left a job before, leaving behind colleagues who I loved working with and felt like I'd let a lot of people down. But I still did it, because I wanted to do, and it felt like the right thing for me do it. It still hurt though.
2. If Bruno did go into management, he appears to have the right attributes to be good at it. One thing I wasn't sure about with him was whether he could be ruthless enough to be successful (see how Potter dealt with Matt Ryan, Duffy etc). Perhaps him leaving now erases any doubt about that question. If he did become a manager, and was good at it, one club high on his list of places he'd like to work would be us. Burning our bridges with the bloke by making him feel unwelcome at the AMEX would not be a sensible move (in my opinion).

So all the people saying he can **** off, calling him Potter's pet and so on, grow up and have a think about it for god's sake.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Indeed.

I'm told that Bruno doesn't feel ready to step up into management just yet, and wants to keep learning as a coach. Potter wanted to take him to Chelsea and there can't be too many people to learn from right now.

He's an emotional man - tears would have been shed as he left the Albion today, for sure.

Couldn’t he learn from a new Brighton coach?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
this could be Brighton's biggest loss. Yes Potter was his two assistants were always going to move on at some stage but Bruno was 100% Albion and his importance recruiting and developing Spanish speaking players immense.

That's the most key point on this thread for me...Bruno is Spanish and we're populating the squad with Spanish speakers... there'll be a void...unless the new coach/staff are Spanish speakers of course!!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
That's the most key point on this thread for me...Bruno is Spanish and we're populating the squad with Spanish speakers... there'll be a void...unless the new coach/staff are Spanish speakers of course!!

I can think of someone to fill that void

79a1393b4e97a39fba990393395739df.jpg

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
For Bruno to leave when the club is in total turmoil is absolutely devastating for me. Only Calde coming back can make up for this betrayal.

Roberts I understand - sadly it means Sanchez and maybe Rushworth will follow him in the summer, but that's all fixable although very unfortunate.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

where's Caulderon these days or Orlandi......

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Indeed.

I'm told that Bruno doesn't feel ready to step up into management just yet, and wants to keep learning as a coach. Potter wanted to take him to Chelsea and there can't be too many people to learn from right now.

He's an emotional man - tears would have been shed as he left the Albion today, for sure.

I feel so sorry for him. It’s as if he didn’t have a choice. Crocodile tears all the way the the bank. Now F Off and kiss the Chelsea badge and buy your kids Chelsea shirts

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Albion absolutely now need to move heaven and earth to get Calde back as Spanish liason coach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here