Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] I miss Brighton

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I currently live in York for Uni but obviously still regularly come back for extended periods of time, but still, despite York being a pretty city and relatively affluent compared to other parts of yorkshire, I miss that clean sea air and the general atmosphere of brighton. I miss the north lanes :)jester:) and all that, but what I find the most disorienting about not being in brighton is that I can't tell which direction I'm facing when in York, whereas in brighton you always know which way is south.

I was at St Johns for four years and feel the same way as you. York was a lovely city but it wasnt Brighton.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You are correct in your assumption, although I'm not sure that living in London is what's lowered my opinion of Brighton, although maybe it is. I lived in Brighton for five years, and however hard I tried not to, I always ended up going to the same pubs etc and doing the same things. I don't do that in London at all, there is always something new, something different. Brighton feels so small and provincial in comparison.

As for the travel times, I guess you just get used to sitting on a tube, so travelling half an hour to get somewhere in the same city doesn't feel like anything out of the ordinary. Plus, Central London isn't actually that big anyway, and it's only when I started exploring it by walking, rather than by tube, that I realised this. If I get the tube home from work I get in about 6.20, if I walk, I'll get in about 6.40. Not really that much difference.

I think the thing I like most about London is the people, and not the proper Londoners (not that you really see many of these anymore), but the people who have come to the city from outside. Streets paved with gold and all that.

Brighton's a decent city, but I really don't think it's as good as it's residents seem to think, although it is nice that there is a sense of local pride from the people who live there. I had a fantastic time living there, but I can see why people from outside of the city think it's a dump.

Ah ok, I have always struggled with the size of the place which inevitably pulls in many quite grim areas, I can jump on a train and roll in to Victoria station in an hour but obviously would never attribute where I have arrived as being part of Brighton, if you get my meaning.

I am also intrigued when top footballers that eventually leave then say they miss London so much, I kinda assumed they lived a London life that us mere mortals could never experience, quite stunning I assume.

For me one of the great advantages of Brighton is I can be all over the city and its different bars and restaurants with all its different feels generally by foot and it seems all representative of the whole place.

I assume London is an amalgamation of different towns and cities over a vast expanse without perhaps a common identity.

Oh well ....... not sure if what I said is relevant as long as it is enjoyed by those that live there and yes your view on Brighton needn't necessarily be qualified by where you live now !!!

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
£10 says you screwed up going to Ibiza

You could say that, but it was more down to the lack of wheelchair access. How's life treating you Pasta? still happy as ever? I missed you you know, I know you missed me!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Moved abroad 2 months ago from Brighton so it is too soon for me to really cast a judgement. I certainly miss the football and the pubs but I am absolutely loving living in year round sunshine, about to take the under 15 football team for a match in the sun and then I will take a dip in the pool before dinner time in the garden- MAGIC.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Moved abroad 2 months ago from Brighton so it is too soon for me to really cast a judgement. I certainly miss the football and the pubs but I am absolutely loving living in year round sunshine, about to take the under 15 football team for a match in the sun and then I will take a dip in the pool before dinner time in the garden- MAGIC.

Good for you, enjoy xx

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You are correct in your assumption, although I'm not sure that living in London is what's lowered my opinion of Brighton, although maybe it is. I lived in Brighton for five years, and however hard I tried not to, I always ended up going to the same pubs etc and doing the same things. I don't do that in London at all, there is always something new, something different. Brighton feels so small and provincial in comparison.

Almost the exact reason I moved out of London to Brighton! Horses for courses. Although I am a classic case of hitting 30's, getting married, having kids, moving to the coast.

Loved London while I was there for 6 years for all the reasons you state, but love Brighton for all those reasons as well, the familiarity, the provincial nature, everyone wants to know how the cricket is going, or how Brighton are getting on, the local pride as you say. Not sure I know anyone that thinks Brighton is a dump though!?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Just over 5 years absent now. The pub threads do make me homesick. I normally get back once or twice a year. I agree with posters talking about how you notice the changes that have taken place, in most cases not for the better. I spent quite a few years in Shoreham and somehow that still seems reassuringly the same.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've lived in London for about 18 years now, leaving Lewes Road and all its charms behind me. And when i revisit Brighton, which is for every home game of course and for Christmas for a day or two and perhaps a meal to celebrate another year of mother's living survival, i don't quite feel like the people there any more. That isn't to say that i feel at one with the busybodies of the cramped in London, as it's a place where no one fits in enough for long. And maybe it's really to say that i didn't quite fit in the first time around through teenhood and its partly unmerry experiences and needed somewhere too vast for me to notice. I had my friends and was partly like some of them, but when i revisit Brighton i don't have a pub to find people i once knew necessarily lurking in and me rushing to join them and catch up on old times or share the astonishment of a once-pal so young, chinking glasses as we gas in honour.
I do when asked still say that i'll end up back there though. Buy somewhere and wish for a child to raise in that area, hoping to make them a little happier than i was able to be, as it's a marvelous place to be brought through with all its little room for adventure and acceptance to be on occasion abnormal. I don't miss it though.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Moved away about 8 months ago. Miss it terribly. I was a resident there for 16 years. Reading the pub thread has made me miss the place. Sigh.

I've lived away for 21 years now. I don't so much miss Brighton itself but Sussex. I was brought up on the edge of Ashdown Forest and I miss the contrasts of the Sussex countryside rolling downland and the forests of the High Weald. And Harveys :drink:

I get home to see my family at least twice year for a Sussex fix and the world is all OK again!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's certainly easy to look back with rose tinted specs I suppose. I had best times of my life there. However, most of the people that made it so good have moved away etc so it wouldn't be the same place for me now. I don't think it helps that I have moved to a place that I have found I'm not that keen on and a combination of working away a lot and there not being much to do I haven't really met anyone, women or mates.
I do eventually plan to move to Cornwall as my family has a bit of land there but that's a lot of planning as it would involve actually building somewhere to live!
Perhaps I need a long weekend in Brighton!
As someone said it's not particularly the centre of Brighton I miss. In fact Shoreham would be fine. Most of my mates have moved there anyway!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Almost the exact reason I moved out of London to Brighton! Horses for courses. Although I am a classic case of hitting 30's, getting married, having kids, moving to the coast.

Loved London while I was there for 6 years for all the reasons you state, but love Brighton for all those reasons as well, the familiarity, the provincial nature, everyone wants to know how the cricket is going, or how Brighton are getting on, the local pride as you say. Not sure I know anyone that thinks Brighton is a dump though!?

I'm about to do exactly the same - got married last year, kid on the way next year, moving out of London and back to Sussex. But not to Brighton, I can't see the point in moving from a world class city to a provincial one. Moving out of London means moving to the countryside for me. Not sure I'm actually ready for it though!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ill be visiting in November...so will see what further changes have occurred...one thing my mother comments on everytime she visits here, is how clean it is here...so im guessing its a bit scruffier in Brighton....cant blame visitors as there are far more visitors here, all year round.
Watching the pub threads with interest. Seems some places that were decent, are now crap, and vice versa, so welcome that thread.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm about to do exactly the same - got married last year, kid on the way next year, moving out of London and back to Sussex. But not to Brighton, I can't see the point in moving from a world class city to a provincial one. Moving out of London means moving to the countryside for me. Not sure I'm actually ready for it though!

Congrats, and good luck! It's actually my addiction to cycling that has really made me really aware how beautiful Sussex is, and how many untouched villages etc. there are. So easy to see the county from the A23, A27, A24 etc. but once into the lanes and off the beaten track, always blown away but some really gorgeous places around and about.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Ill be visiting in November...so will see what further changes have occurred...one thing my mother comments on everytime she visits here, is how clean it is...so im guessing its a bit scruffier in Brighton....cant blame visitors as there are far more visitors here, all year round.
Watching the pub threads with interest. Seems some places that were decent, are now crap, and vice versa, so welcome that thread.

This is what struck me as well as friends and family that came to visit. It was surprising how dirty and scruffy it was.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This is what struck me as well as friends and family that came to visit. It was surprising how dirty and scruffy it was.

It certainly has it's scruffy areas but when you walk around some places of equivalent size, especially up North you realise it is definitely not the worst by a long shot. I imagine Canada being exceptionally spick and span for some reason, not been though.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
It certainly has it's scruffy areas but when you walk around some places of equivalent size, especially up North you realise it is definitely not the worst by a long shot. I imagine Canada being exceptionally spick and span for some reason, not been though.

You're right, it is. I realize that perspective is everything and that, like you said, many places in other parts of the country are much worse.

I guess my error in all of this was comparing Brighton to places like Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa instead of places of similar ilk here in the UK.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
You're right, it is. I realize that perspective is everything and that, like you said, many places in other parts of the country are much worse.

I guess my error in all of this was comparing Brighton to places like Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa instead of places of similar ilk here in the UK.

I've been to your fine country a few times and have to say I like it very very much. That said. I'd much prefer to live in a town steeped in history and fine architecture than a sterile dormitory like Montreal or...dare I say it...Quebec with that godawful accent.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think the Seven dials is my favourite area to live in Brighton. I've lived on Powis square, Prestonville Road and Vernon Terrace and loved it. Least favourite was Cromwell Road, one long road of nothing with a crap pub on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here