Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] I miss Brighton

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Miss it to a point...like others have said, its not the same, but places change constantly...everytime I come home (i still call it home), clubs are different, shops are different, im guessing many pubs are different, and all my old friends seem to have moved away as well... so its a bit alien, which in itself, makes it a good visiting destination for me haha...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a great place but I felt I needed a change after 10 years.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Couldn't wait to leave Brighton, albeit only after a year. Definitely the worst place I've lived. But then I'm Canadian and use to certain things such as space, politeness, value for money, etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Couldn't wait to leave Brighton, albeit only after a year. Definitely the worst place I've lived. But then I'm Canadian and use to certain things such as space, politeness, value for money, etc.

The worst place you have lived? Where on earth have you previoosuly lived?

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Predominately in Canada. Moving to Brighton was a a real shock for me especially coming from Calgary, which has been consistently ranked in numerous top 10 best and most liveable cities in which to live.

Personally I prefer less populated places in the UK. People are friendlier, houses more affordable and high-density living isn't part of the equation.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
But more on topic, left Brighton 25 years ago. Only been back on very occasional day trips since. Can't even remember the last time I was there - 5 to 10 years ago?

And yes I do miss it.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Havent lived in Sussex for 28 years and miss it every year. I know its really about Portsmouth but everytime I hear the Joe Jackson song 'My Hometown' I get all nostalgic and when Mark Chadwick sings 'My father when I was younger took me up on to the hill' I imagine myself looking down from the top of East Brighton hill.

Its actually hurts typing this.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Have lived or worked in all of the above. Not for me either.

came back to UK 2020-2006 and lived in Harlow and Stortford. BS ok but kept sneaking down to Brighton whenever we had a chance. Almost certainly it was a rainy day in Brighton that triggered the birth of my eldest.

Brighton has given me so much ....

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I love Brighton, grew up here, lived away so learnt just what a great place it really is.

It is cleaner, undoubtedly so in fact, accepting that it can look a little 'worst for wear' after a busy sunny weekend, but thats down to loads and loads of people enjoying the place.

But in the 70's & 80's it was a little shabby, but has spruced itself up, hoping that the retail/pub chains dont become too prominent, but hopefully the North Laines will keep its bohemian vibe.

Yep I love it .......

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I missed it a bit when I first moved away, but not anymore, and I wouldn't move back. Brighton thinks it's so cool and cosmopolitan, but it's not really, it's just a few ageing hippies, gays and some art. And a load of chavs. Same as most other cities really. It's much dirtier than most other cities though.

Brighton's a far superior place to those Northern hell hole towns like Burnley and Bradford etc, but I don't think it's much better or worse than any other reasonable cities in the UK. And for a city, it is very small, you get bored going to the same places all the time very quickly. It's helped as a city because it is in Sussex, which is a great county, probably 5th or 6th nicest in the country.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Brighton is a totally different place to 20 years ago, I like to visit now but I would never live there again. I know Newhaven is nothing to shout about but I like to park outside my house not 3 streets away.

Crikey you moved to Newhaven so you could park outside your house - just wow.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I missed it a bit when I first moved away, but not anymore, and I wouldn't move back. Brighton thinks it's so cool and cosmopolitan, but it's not really, it's just a few ageing hippies, gays and some art. And a load of chavs. Same as most other cities really. It's much dirtier than most other cities though.

Brighton's a far superior place to those Northern hell hole towns like Burnley and Bradford etc, but I don't think it's much better or worse than any other reasonable cities in the UK. And for a city, it is very small, you get bored going to the same places all the time very quickly. It's helped as a city because it is in Sussex, which is a great county, probably 5th or 6th nicest in the country.

Interesting and I am guessing your in London, undoubtedly a world class city or so I am assured.

I quite like the size of Brighton and Hove you have all the tastes just a short walk/taxi ride away.

If you live in one nondescript location in London ( not necessarily saying that you do ) and have to travel 30 mins or an hour to another area of London for a different experience, for me it doesnt follow that this relates or has any association in any way to where you have just left.

Where you live is just slightly more convenient to where you have just arrived ..........

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I left Brighton in 2009 and moved around the world for 2.5 years and ended up just north of Bristol out in the Cotswolds.

I've been back to Brighton 3 times since and I don't really miss it. Of course I miss the football big time, as well as a few parks as I was always involved in a kick around at Hove/Wish/Victoria/Stoneham Park.

The only reason I'd move back to Brighton or East Sussex is if I got offered a fat pay check as housing costs back home are ridiculous compared to what I pay here.

Otherwise, I'm happy out in the countryside drinking at the traditional old English pubs with the rolling hills as my backdrop with the Spaniels wandering between the tables.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I currently live in York for Uni but obviously still regularly come back for extended periods of time, but still, despite York being a pretty city and relatively affluent compared to other parts of yorkshire, I miss that clean sea air and the general atmosphere of brighton. I miss the north lanes :)jester:) and all that, but what I find the most disorienting about not being in brighton is that I can't tell which direction I'm facing when in York, whereas in brighton you always know which way is south.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Interesting and I am guessing your in London, undoubtedly a world class city or so I am assured.

I quite like the size of Brighton and Hove you have all the tastes just a short walk/taxi ride away.

If you live in one nondescript location in London ( not necessarily saying that you do ) and have to travel 30 mins or an hour to another area of London for a different experience, for me it doesnt follow that this relates or has any association in any way to where you have just left.

Where you live is just slightly more convenient to where you have just arrived ..........

You are correct in your assumption, although I'm not sure that living in London is what's lowered my opinion of Brighton, although maybe it is. I lived in Brighton for five years, and however hard I tried not to, I always ended up going to the same pubs etc and doing the same things. I don't do that in London at all, there is always something new, something different. Brighton feels so small and provincial in comparison.

As for the travel times, I guess you just get used to sitting on a tube, so travelling half an hour to get somewhere in the same city doesn't feel like anything out of the ordinary. Plus, Central London isn't actually that big anyway, and it's only when I started exploring it by walking, rather than by tube, that I realised this. If I get the tube home from work I get in about 6.20, if I walk, I'll get in about 6.40. Not really that much difference.

I think the thing I like most about London is the people, and not the proper Londoners (not that you really see many of these anymore), but the people who have come to the city from outside. Streets paved with gold and all that.

Brighton's a decent city, but I really don't think it's as good as it's residents seem to think, although it is nice that there is a sense of local pride from the people who live there. I had a fantastic time living there, but I can see why people from outside of the city think it's a dump.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here