Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I hoped for more, Grimsby

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Was all for them until the throwing stuff on the pitch got silly and the chant of " where were you when you were shit " .
Could have done without the chants of "You take it up the arse" and "You're just a town full of benders" from a group of them before the game too.

A very small minority of course, but still pretty pathetic.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I thought their team played well really. Really compact, defended well and went In at HT at 1-0. Pretty commendable. Didn't fall into any of our traps. They breathy only came apart at 2-0 when they started to leave spaces.
they were crap and knew they were. Spaces were bound to appear once tiredness set in.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
On a forum that has ditched its ‘support your local team’ attitude to accept a vlogger born in a another continent, 10 page threads moaning about a bit of pushing and shoving at Norwood Junction post Palace (a), moaning about paper balls being thrown on the pitch today, folk asking for advice on what to do after being hit with a bottle at Leicester, grown adults starting threads for help getting from Brighton station to Falmer station … this, this is exactly the comment I wanted to see to reassure me a once great fanbase is still alive and kicking & it’s hardly surprising that it’s come from someone living in the best country in Europe.

Congrats today now go on and win it :bhasign:
Thank you for bringing up the Leicester bottle incident , reminds to follow up with LCFC to see if they found the individual concerned.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What about the satsumas? There were 3 chucked on that I saw, and I didn't know they ate fruit up there...
Not sure if they were satsumas or the red bits of those cards they were holding aloft at start of the game, I assume that's what was used for the rest of the ammunition.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Just back home in the industrial norf, feeling absolutely shattered after a long few days, but enjoyable ones nonetheless.

In terms of the atmosphere, it was very good in the concourse before the game but definitely anti-climatic and nowhere near as good as Southampton in the stands. I think there are a few reasons for this.

Firstly, there was a collective sharp in take of breath as the Brighton lineup came in. I think we all expected a strong team from you, but to see more or less your first-team, including several players who were playing at the World Cup a few months ago and one with hands fresh off the trophy itself - it was a reality check and a sudden bursting of the bubble. I think we knew at that point we were on a hiding to nothing.

Another one, and this might sound a bit daft, but not letting our drum in. Drums can be a double edged sword, but it worked a treat at Southampton to set the tempo and get songs started consistently, which can be tricky when you’ve got a larger than usual away following.

Then, the game itself. Ok, we kept ourselves just about in the contest for 70 minutes, but for much of that time there wasn’t much to shout about at the sharp end of the pitch.

That said, to those saying the Town players put in a poor shift or didn’t try, I think you’re doing a disservice to your own team and just how fúcking good you are, if anything. I can’t be arsed to do the maths, but I’d imagine if you were to sell the Brighton squad tomorrow you’d get somewhere in the region of £600m. Out lot, not much more than £600k. That’s a ratio of 1,000 - we are worlds apart.

I thought our players did us proud, reflected by the scenes at the end - and thanks to every Albion fan who stayed behind to clap our players of the pitch, there were plenty of you. We just couldn’t keep the ball for more than a few seconds. In League Two, you play the percentages and there’s usually a mistake or two in key areas to take advantage of. Your team is different gravy, and was about 99.9% in that regard.

The only mistake of note was, maybe, Sanchez and the handball. I joked in real time that it was handball and VAR ought to give him a red, having no clue whatsoever from my vantage on row AA in the south stand. I had a bit of a hot flush when I realised it was being looked at for real, but alas it was not to be. I was momentarily angry when I saw it back on the concourse TVs at half-time, looked a definite red from the one clip / angle I saw, but as the second half wore on it became clear that you’d have had enough to dispatch us with 10 men anyway. We might have left with a better score line, but not much more.

The throwing stuff on the pitch? Not dangerous but pointless and stupid - will cost the club some of our hard earned FA Cup money. I don’t engage in chants attempting to bait the opposition personally - you’re either losing or asking for it to bite you on the arse. I didn’t hear anything genuinely offensive though - I think it’s reasonable to assume that a good proportion of our following didn’t have a solid handle on Brighton’s history over the last 30 years. I suspect a majority of yours don’t know our recent history, either.

It perhaps wasn’t the day I hoped, in my dreams, it would be, but I enjoyed my first visit to the Amex. I have to admit, it’s much bigger and better in the flesh than in the photos and videos I’ve seen (and by that I mean it’s EVEN better than I had expected, not a backhanded complement). My wife, who was not at all f***ing happy at the idea of me spending Mother’s Day watching football and drinking beer while she looked after the kids, loved Brighton, so much so she wants to go back in the summer! That’s an about turn, I assure you, as for much of the journey down she was very keen to remind me that “[she] didn’t want to f***ing come!”. The kids loved it too, so we may well be back.

You have a cracking city and a wonderful club, with a stadium and team to be proud of. But to those critical of our players and fans - we’ve come a long way in a short space of time. We’ve had 20 years of absolute dogshit football thanks to our previous, batshit owner, and we have a small minority of fans (like most if not all clubs) who engage in behaviour I do not personally condone.

We were not at our absolute best today, whether that’s in the stands or on the pitch. But to see my team in the quarter final of the FA Cup, against a Premier League team brimming with World Cup stars, with 4,600+ fellow Mariners who have travelled over 500 miles for their troubles, and seeing black and white shirts on fans of all ages throughout the streets of Brighton this weekend - all this after watching us crash out of the league through my phone less than 2 years ago in that horrible Covid season - it absolutely filled me with pride.

A great weekend if not a great result for us. Thanks for the role you all played in it.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If OP and others wants to learn a bit of class and humility, you can read the thread on the Grimsby board:

Anyone, that forum thread is worth a read. Much warmth to all things Albion, we’re the most welcoming opposition fans too. Classy.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A great weekend if not a great result for us. Thanks for the role you all played in it.
Glad you enjoyed yourself! Football has never just been about the result, but the whole experience.

That picture with the Grimsby fans on the pier with their flags is something to remember with fondness.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Just back home in the industrial norf, feeling absolutely shattered after a long few days, but enjoyable ones nonetheless.

In terms of the atmosphere, it was very good in the concourse before the game but definitely anti-climatic and nowhere near as good as Southampton in the stands. I think there are a few reasons for this.

Firstly, there was a collective sharp in take of breath as the Brighton lineup came in. I think we all expected a strong team from you, but to see more or less your first-team, including several players who were playing at the World Cup a few months ago and one with hands fresh off the trophy itself - it was a reality check and a sudden bursting of the bubble. I think we knew at that point we were on a hiding to nothing.

Another one, and this might sound a bit daft, but not letting our drum in. Drums can be a double edged sword, but it worked a treat at Southampton to set the tempo and get songs started consistently, which can be tricky when you’ve got a larger than usual away following.

Then, the game itself. Ok, we kept ourselves just about in the contest for 70 minutes, but for much of that time there wasn’t much to shout about at the sharp end of the pitch.

That said, to those saying the Town players put in a poor shift or didn’t try, I think you’re doing a disservice to your own team and just how fúcking good you are, if anything. I can’t be arsed to do the maths, but I’d imagine if you were to sell the Brighton squad tomorrow you’d get somewhere in the region of £600m. Out lot, not much more than £600k. That’s a ratio of 1,000 - we are worlds apart.

I thought our players did us proud, reflected by the scenes at the end - and thanks to every Albion fan who stayed behind to clap our players of the pitch, there were plenty of you. We just couldn’t keep the ball for more than a few seconds. In League Two, you play the percentages and there’s usually a mistake or two in key areas to take advantage of. Your team is different gravy, and was about 99.9% in that regard.

The only mistake of note was, maybe, Sanchez and the handball. I joked in real time that it was handball and VAR ought to give him a red, having no clue whatsoever from my vantage on row AA in the south stand. I had a bit of a hot flush when I realised it was being looked at for real, but alas it was not to be. I was momentarily angry when I saw it back on the concourse TVs at half-time, looked a definite red from the one clip / angle I saw, but as the second half wore on it became clear that you’d have had enough to dispatch us with 10 men anyway. We might have left with a better score line, but not much more.

The throwing stuff on the pitch? Not dangerous but pointless and stupid - will cost the club some of our hard earned FA Cup money. I don’t engage in chants attempting to bait the opposition personally - you’re either losing or asking for it to bite you on the arse. I didn’t hear anything genuinely offensive though - I think it’s reasonable to assume that a good proportion of our following didn’t have a solid handle on Brighton’s history over the last 30 years. I suspect a majority of yours don’t know our recent history, either.

It perhaps wasn’t the day I hoped, in my dreams, it would be, but I enjoyed my first visit to the Amex. I have to admit, it’s much bigger and better in the flesh than in the photos and videos I’ve seen (and by that I mean it’s EVEN better than I had expected, not a backhanded complement). My wife, who was not at all f***ing happy at the idea of me spending Mother’s Day watching football and drinking beer while she looked after the kids, loved Brighton, so much so she wants to go back in the summer! That’s an about turn, I assure you, as for much of the journey down she was very keen to remind me that “[she] didn’t want to f***ing come!”. The kids loved it too, so we may well be back.

You have a cracking city and a wonderful club, with a stadium and team to be proud of. But to those critical of our players and fans - we’ve come a long way in a short space of time. We’ve had 20 years of absolute dogshit football thanks to our previous, batshit owner, and we have a small minority of fans (like most if not all clubs) who engage in behaviour I do not personally condone.

We were not at our absolute best today, whether that’s in the stands or on the pitch. But to see my team in the quarter final of the FA Cup, against a Premier League team brimming with World Cup stars, with 4,600+ fellow Mariners who have travelled over 500 miles for their troubles, and seeing black and white shirts on fans of all ages throughout the streets of Brighton this weekend - all this after watching us crash out of the league through my phone less than 2 years ago in that horrible Covid season - it absolutely filled me with pride.

Glad you(and the mrs) enjoyed your day/weekend.

I wouldn't worry too much about any negative comments about Grimsby's performance. They put a shift in and did what they could.

The truth is(and I hope this doesn't sound arrogant) the win was always in Brighton's hands, regardless of how well Grimsby played. All you can really ask in those circumstances is that your team never stops trying. You didn't so should be really proud of the team.

It's only a few weeks ago that Declan Rice came off the pitch at the Amex after losing 4-0 and admitted how demoralising it was playing against us. His team visibly gave up against us, yours didn't.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

It's only a few weeks ago that Declan Rice came off the pitch at the Amex after losing 4-0 and admitted how demoralising it was playing against us. His team visibly gave up against us, yours didn't.
Very much this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well quite.

More or less any time there’s a paper mosaic display at a game something “interesting” happens to the remains. Someone made a very good paper aeroplane in the North Stand, one of the best I’ve seen fly. Ticker tape made with other bits
Only the one? Lots of paper planes flying around G block.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Grimsby looked what they are - a division 4 side. What pleased.me was that we looked what we are - a team with top 4 aspirations.

As for their support, they were out of the game from the off. We had a presentable chance before they had even touched the ball and took less than 6 minutes to start the rout. One or two classless chants but I've heard all sorts of shit chants from our support down the years, so won't be holding that against their entire fanbase.
It was good to see us beating well a team that we should be beating well, which hasn’t always been the case for us, while Grimsby didn’t disgrace themselves

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Really? There was loads of it, and it was coming at players as they were playing. Total dickhead, moronic behaviour. Loving all the 'bit of banter' shouts on here. The players clearly didn't agree. What should the ref do? Hope it doesn't become anything worse and wing it? They're a club on a shoe string and are probably going to get fined now and rightly so.

Some of their chants were beyond small time - makes no difference that we may have done it before. It was pathetic then too.

Again one to one they were fine but it's not OK to watch players have things landing all around them when they are taking corners and thrown in and the ball boys sent to clean it up were getting stuff luzzed at them too. Pathetic behaviour.
Agree - it annoyed me. If the ref were to acquiesce in allowing the throwing of harmless paper balls, how long before it turns in to something more substantial.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Fair comments, my thoughts from some of the negativity stems from 2 points of view - 1. many of us still see Brighton as #TeamslikeBrighton and it just does quite register that we ae now one of the best teams in the country and play bloody good football and 2. our growth is starting to attract an element of entitlement.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

Good stuff. Glad you had a good time regardless of the result. Every Grimsby fan I met in person was absolutely sound. All the best in the league this season.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Good stuff. Glad you had a good time regardless of the result. Every Grimsby fan I met in person was absolutely sound. All the best in the league this season.
Same to you - hope you continue your great league form and go on to win the cup!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here