Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I hoped for more, Grimsby

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don’t expect them to come out all guns blazing, of course not, but they weren’t even trying to get the ball forward quickly and challenge for second balls they literally retreated into their own half and sat in two banks of five. Also the Hughton analogy doesn’t work because firstly they couldn’t hang on for a point as it was the cup and secondly they were one nil down inside 5 minutes so needed to score. They were so passive which was in stark contrast to the Southampton game.
Because we are a lot better than Southampton… I think it’s exactly the same as Hughton. Keep the score down and hope to nick it. Worked in the 1st half and when it stopped working I still maintain they would have lost by 10 if they had changed tactics. They are L2. There is an incredible gulf with a top PL side. I would expect us to do exactly the same if roles were reversed.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I was very disappointed they sang 'Where we you when you were shit' in the 2nd half. We've been worse off than they are now, idiots.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Blimey, state of this thread.

“People have big day out at the football, have a few drinks, sing some songs and chuck some deadly paper”

Also “League 2 team not as good at football as top Premier League team”

:facepalm:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Blimey, state of this thread.

“People have big day out at the football, have a few drinks, sing some songs and chuck sone deadly paper”

Also “League 2 team not as good as football at top Premier League team”

:facepalm:
Yeah bit Premier League-damaged if you expect them to turn up, play great football and sing very nice songs about the opposition.

What did people expect? That they would play tiki-taka football and give standing ovations to Brighton just because the boys are playing great football and getting good results? Just doesn't work like that... anywhere.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yeah bit Premier League-damaged if you expect them to turn up, play great football and sing very nice songs about the opposition.

What did people expect? That they would play tiki-taka football and give standing ovations to Brighton just because the boys are playing great football and getting good results? Just doesn't work like that... anywhere.
Well quite.

More or less any time there’s a paper mosaic display at a game something “interesting” happens to the remains. Someone made a very good paper aeroplane in the North Stand, one of the best I’ve seen fly. Ticker tape made with other bits

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Well quite.

More or less any time there’s a paper mosaic display at a game something “interesting” happens to the remains. Someone made a very good paper aeroplane in the North Stand, one of the best I’ve seen fly. Ticker tape made with other bits
I can't quite work out why the Grimsby fans would have been given them though?! Surely not expected to hold up blue ans white paper 🤣

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Have we get paused to celebrate what a great sight a few hundred inflatable haddock being synchronously waved is and how it's existence accurately and positively reflects our national identity?
Also Grimsby should be proud of their performance. Stuck to their task after a soft early goal, heads didn't drop after the second and very nearly got back in it after the disallowed third. Sakes they're league 2. We got humped 6-1 by Liverpool in the cup not so long ago with far less gulf between the sides and a not entirely dissimilar gameplan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh, I'd happily go back to 1980...as long as we played as we are, now.
I still expected/hoped for more 'oomph' from Grimsby, given what was at stake.
Still, we're through, and just the Man U hurdle to go, before facing the Man C in the final.
That'll go well.
Christ. Live the last 43 years of my life again? If I had Groundhog day style recall, sure.
Well done for getting this far, and I'd hoped for more of a game from you. Lovely fans, and I wish you well in the League and a safe journey home.
Anyway, what about this?

1679260457964.png
1679260476942.png
1679260506574.png

To be fair Grimsby simply didn't have the quality to make a game of it. 1st half we treated like a training session until Roberto got into them at half time! Even in 1st half we should of been nearly out of sight. All they could do was defend and they did have 1 decent chance which big Bob saved well considering he was a spectator for most of the game.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The library chant made me chuckle - heard it just after hearing non-stop albion chants for quite a while (watching on telly)
Yep - absolutely correct. always seems bizarre timing when that zzzzz chant comes out!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
If OP and others wants to learn a bit of class and humility, you can read the thread on the Grimsby board:

Lots of fantastic comments on that thread and a few others re our club and fans. Couldn't make the game but was along the seafront this morning for a few hours. Brilliant atmosphere between fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here