Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hope Tony is as utterely distraught (privately) as I am

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The age of our squad is a big problem and there's people talking about signing Bobby Z. We need a youthful squad, build it up and get it gelled. Then make a push not next season but the next one.
We don't need every single player to be young. A mix usually works fine, and if Bobby was here as an extra strike option from the bench or when others are injured/out of form, as someone to help the other strikers learn in training, I don't see the problem.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I'm not arguing about their quality - 20th in the table is all we need to know about that, just inference that our recent signings were cheap (they're not), lower league (mostly not), and journeymen (they're not).

They may not be cheap, lower league or journey men, so why do they play like they are, or who, in the club, thinks they are not those things?

liverpool_one

Feb 12, 2004
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Bigger picture guys, taking longer than we would like but patience is a virtue.
one day we will look back on this and see bournemouth at least one division below us.
10070 for your promotion party is not good and we will see them go the same way as wigan
only quicker.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Good old Albion. Core business activity: real estate. Secondary business activity: people-smuggling players into the Premier League, one or two at a time..

Crazy talk I know, but reckon the key to competing with clubs in receipt of very generous parachute payments might be to invest to get up there and grab some parachute payments of our own. Sound like a plan?

Correct me if I am wrong.... but I don't think a team with parachute payments has gone up automatically since Newcastle and WBA in 09/10, even out of the play off winners in that time only 2 had them from what I can see.

They are a bit of a myth.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Correct me if I am wrong.... but I don't think a team with parachute payments has gone up automatically since Newcastle and WBA in 09/10, even out of the play off winners in that time only 2 had them from what I can see.

They are a bit of a myth.

Agree completely. People get so hung up on parachute payments, but they don't guarantee you anything and often guarantee you nothing at all. It's the same with people saying the Championship was easier to get out of when Palace went up - another myth - any dog can have its day.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Agree completely. People get so hung up on parachute payments, but they don't guarantee you anything and often guarantee you nothing at all. It's the same with people saying the Championship was easier to get out of when Palace went up - another myth - any dog can have its day.

Most people use them to pay off players, yes you may get the payments but you also have to sell off your best players and buy replacements/youth team

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I thought Bournemouth have done really well this season and scored some great goals last night.

My anger is vented at the poor recruitment last summer and the summer before when Kemy was signed.

We MUST make moves for some of the Bournemouth squad who are NOT 'Premier League Ready'. However much it costs...........

Elphick and Cook would be a good start, if they'll come (which they won't).

People have forgotton that the cheap young players B'muff have bougt include two home grown former youth team players that were intended to form part of OUR Premier league squad, BUT WE let them go............

No business succeeds if it sells it's assets (who have had time, money and effort invested in them) to it's competitor at a knock down price.

Last edited:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
No. He's just a rare example of a regular NSC poster who engages his brain before posting. There is no arguing with the list of players he's given and the money spent on them - either in transfers and/or wages.

Except you need to compare BHA's investment with the investment made by the other 23 clubs in the Championship. What BHAFC have done in previous years is irrelevant now, inflation will always make your recent signings more expensive than those from 10, 20 or 30 years ago,. We need to compare apples with apples, not this year with yesteryear.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
We MUST make moves for some of the Bournemouth squad who are NOT 'Premier League Ready'. However much it costs...........

Elphick and Cook would be a good start, if they'll come (which they won't).

m People have forgotton that the cheap young players B'muff have bougt include two home grown former youth team players that were intended to form part of OUR Premier league squad, BUT WE let thego............

No business succeeds if it sells it's assets (who have had time, money and effort invested in them) to it's competitor at a knock down price.

I certainly have not forgotten about them or the others we have let go, I still cannot understand how Muff have made it to the premiership or no maybe I can they have been more astute with their money.

and they have forwards who can score at will and when they get a good offer for one of them, they sell and buy another for less that they sold for but NOT the cheap option.
bye the bye thats all gone now and lets hope we can learn from our mistakes

Soggy

Mar 22, 2013
I'm distraught as well but pleased for Bournemouth. However can't really see them surviving in the Premiership. I wasn't that impressed by them as a team when they came to the Amex. Their stadium only holds 12,000 and plans as I understand it are still on hold to expand. Somebody will have to splash the cash on a bigger and better squad this summer and no doubt Eddie Howe will become a prime target by one or more of the big spending Premiership clubs although Harry Redknapp reckons he won't be tempted. Well he did go to Burnley!
Our turn next? :albion2:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We need to splash the cash and just go for it
I am not sure it's as simple as that, our market value has dropped considerably with the managerial shenanigans, the misuse of players, poor recruitment policies, plus the rigid salary structure......we are not automatically going to be a first option when decent ambitious players have a few options on the table.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
We basically need a new team!

That's assuming that results are important, of course.

But why even bother spending money on trying - and potentially failing - to assemble a decent team from scratch - and at great expense - when 87% of people have renewed their season tickets anyway, even after last season's complete car crash on the pitch? Isn't that a waste of money?

Shouldn't we just spend enough in order to stay bouncing along in this division - after all, don't people have a nice day out at a Premier League-standard ground relatively irrespective of results? - and while we might not go up, we probably won't go down or bust either. In that sense Hughton really is the perfect manager too: solid.

One might start to call this the Joe Dolce Principle of Championship football administration: Falmer's a nice place, we should shuddup our face and be grateful.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

But why even bother spending money on trying - and potentially failing - to assemble a decent team from scratch - and at great expense - when 87% of people have renewed their season tickets anyway, even after last season's complete car crash on the pitch? Isn't that a waste of money?

Shouldn't we just spend enough in order to stay bouncing along in this division - after all, don't people have a nice day out at a Premier League-standard ground relatively irrespective of results? - and while we might not go up, we probably won't go down or bust either. In that sense Hughton really is the perfect manager too: solid.

One might start to call this the Joe Dolce Principle of Championship football administration: Falmer's a nice place, we should shuddup our face and be grateful.
Could do that, though I think the original plan was to keep on improving and aspire to some sort of holy grail. What actually happened turned out to be a few cock ups which ended up being worse than your suggestion.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

I think this season has higher stakes with the 1901 corporate renewals.
My season ticket in the North stand is guaranteed the club know that I will always be in the 86% like most on NSC.

I don't think the 1901's will tolerate the shite football again and that really will make the board take notice

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We need to compare apples with apples, not this year with yesteryear.

Fair enough.
We came 8th in terms of wages in 2012/13. And most reports/predictions of those that spend their time poring over the public accounts , place us still in the top 10 for both 2013/14 and smart money is on us being in the top 10 for 2014/15 given the public statements of Barber/Bloom etc.
Where did you think we were ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
People have forgotton that the cheap young players B'muff have bougt include two home grown former youth team players that were intended to form part of OUR Premier league squad, BUT WE let them go............

You're right there. Its not like its been mentioned in 48 threads on here or anything.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Tony is sure to be as unhappy as the rest of us.

With that in mind I'm convinced we'll have a good transfer window this time around.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Tony is sure to be as unhappy as the rest of us.

With that in mind I'm convinced we'll have a good transfer window this time around.

Flawed though he was, Poyet seemed to be the last peep to have a good transfer window so not sure why you're quite so optimistic.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Flawed though he was, Poyet seemed to be the last peep to have a good transfer window so not sure why you're quite so optimistic.

I am optimistic because Poyet's last good window was funded by Tony, and until the evidence of this transfer window tells me otherwise, I am minded to believe that Tony will fund the squad again with serious money to put this season's disaster behind us.

In a situation with no current evidence either way, I choose to be optimistic.

If the squad improvement doesn't happen, then there is plenty of time for pessimism once next season starts. Today is not that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here