I am an alcoholic

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I never thought I had a drink problem, I have a partner & close friends who regard me as someone who doesn't drink much.

Last year I had to under go a blood test. About a week later got the phone call from the clinic & was asked " How much alcohol do you drink" I replied "a couple of beers after work, then a 2or 3 glasses of wine with my dinner"

" Well that's more than 30 drinks a week, we like to set a maximum of 20, you had a reading of 120, we like to see a maximum of 60, if you care about your liver " was their reply.

So I never had a drink for the next week leading up to my follow up blood test, after which I was told I had a reading of only 59.

If I had drunk the amount of alcohol mentioned in previous posts I would have probably died 20years ago.
Only have to get a twinge in the lower rib abdomen area & I think, shit must be my liver playing up.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Hi guys
Back in 2003-2005 I was a regular poster on NSC, but sadly have lapsed in recent years.
I had so much support from people on here during those dark years, and am still in regular touch with a few on Facebook.
Life is still a battle, but have cracked the demon alcohol, at least today!
Have written about two parts of that battle here.
http://seagullnic.wordpress.com/201...ake-up-and-strengthen-the-things-that-remain/
and here:
http://seagullnic.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/i-met-the-sons-of-darkness-and-the-sons-of-light/
Thank you warmly once again
OTLW
And now three points against Ipswich!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm a regular listener to Frank Skinner's radio show, on Absolute, in a minute.

He is open and honest about his alcoholism, peppered with comedy, as you might expect.
He makes many references to wanting a drink, just a half after a long day nothing excessive. I think he's been sober for 20+ years, but knows he just can't do it.
The people around him know that too, and just won't let it happen.

Anyway someone at Christmas got him a case of alcohol free wine, which he's now drunk.
It's been interesting listening to him reference it, because you can definitely hear 'the demons' (sorry for being crass I just don't have the words to explain it) of addiction when talking about "sitting there with a glass of wine".

The mental strength required to stay sober is something to be very proud of.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hi guys
Back in 2003-2005 I was a regular poster on NSC, but sadly have lapsed in recent years.
I had so much support from people on here during those dark years, and am still in regular touch with a few on Facebook.
Life is still a battle, but have cracked the demon alcohol, at least today!
Have written about two parts of that battle here.
http://seagullnic.wordpress.com/201...ake-up-and-strengthen-the-things-that-remain/
and here:
http://seagullnic.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/i-met-the-sons-of-darkness-and-the-sons-of-light/
Thank you warmly once again
OTLW
And now three points against Ipswich!

Well done, and stay strong all the best.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I drink every day. Beer mainly with the odd gin. Always make sure I have enough in the fridge before I leave in the morning or make sure I have enough to buy some on the way home. That's the way it's always been for about the last 20 years.
Anyway yesterday I finally decided I'm drinking too much, getting too fat and generally need to 'fit' up. So bought a load of 0% alcohol beers and last night stayed on that. Was easier than I thought.
Plan now is to only have actual alcohol on weekends. Fags are the next project to bin off.
Felt I was on a slippery slope so the best of luck to the OP. Hope it goes well.

Last edited:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Anyway someone at Christmas got him a case of alcohol free wine, which he's now drunk.
It's been interesting listening to him reference it, because you can definitely hear 'the demons' (sorry for being crass I just don't have the words to explain it) of addiction when talking about "sitting there with a glass of wine".

The mental strength required to stay sober is something to be very proud of.

I've known starting to drink alcohol free wine/beer as the start of several relapses even in people 20 years sober. it's not something I'd recommend to any alcoholic.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I like to drink every day and it's pretty much a habit now, albeit I'm in a position that when work dictates that I mustn't drink then I manage not to. If I really wanted to stop permanently I've no doubt I'd probably fail. I can't describe the admiration I have for those that try, and those that succeed.

FlowersBrighton

Mar 24, 2012
Alcoholics drink for the effect, not for the taste. Alcohol free won't cut it and as Merry Prankster says it'll more than likely lead to full on relapse.

rubin

Oct 24, 2011
Good luck with it OTLW. A replacement helped me stop my addiction, not that is was as addictive as yours, I imagine. All the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports