Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia - happy, unhappy or fence?

How do you feel about the (expected) appointment of Sami Hyypia?

• Happy

Votes: 396 71.1%
  • Unhappy

Votes: 30 5.4%
  • Fence

Votes: 131 23.5%

• Total voters

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
happy, I liked him at Liverpool as a player well liked at Leverkusen where he will have learnt a lot
no one knows what happens next but it seems like a good appointment to me

as Tony B is quoted by Kicker.De
"Wir hatte viele Kandidaten von großem Kaliber in der Verlosung, aber Sami war unsere erste Wahl", sagte Brighton-Boss Tony Bloom:
"Er hat schon auf höchster Ebene gearbeitet."

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Happy that we have got something sorted .. We could not go into pre season in a vacuum. Is he the best choice? I don't know, TB and the others interviewed at length and we have to accept their best judgement.

I was just warming to the idea of the Frenchman who had taken his small club to the French Top Flight on a shoestring budget...but that is history now.

Hip Hip Hyypia ! :albion2:

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Fence. I don't know enough about him to make an opinion on him. I'm just hoping he likes to play two up front.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Fence, albeit a tad concerned that this is a man whose side lost 0-5 at home to David Moyes's Man Utd.

As opposed to, say, a manager that lost 6-1 to Kenny Dalglish's Liverpool with a side he had been building for three seasons? Or one that lost 6-0 to Allardyce's West Ham in a pivotal league game? (Poyet, if that wasn't clear).

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Exactly. Countless threads about a new manager who nobody has a clue how well he is going to perform.
More worrying is that we have had two managers that have left for whatever reason, not been sacked. These managers have left a club that has the biggest crowds in the league, one of the best stadiums in the country and a brand new training ground opening soon.
Hopefully Tony has got his man, the fact that many players have gone means that Hyypia should be able to bring in fresh faces, which could be exciting.
I reckon Dunk will be pleased and Hyypia could bring the best out of him.

Poyet was sacked for gross misconduct (already been pointed out i see) but he obviously didnt want to be here.. it is odd. Surely the structure will have been reviewed?!

D

Deleted member 2719

I have gone from fence yesterday to happy today...................god know what i will do by the end of the season!!

Naa i will back him and give him chance even if we have to get worse before we get better, but generally he is a winner.

reniformis

Jun 7, 2014
Okay, first post.

I'm a 45-year-old Liverpool fan who thinks he's seen it all and registered here to give my view, I hope it's not unwelcome.

I'll be honest, I know very little about your club aside from Jimmy Case played for you in the 80's, you knocked us out of the FA Cup in the 80's. And I don't where 'Hove' is or what it does ;) However, Sami Hyypia. He's a club legend at LFC. Character-wise, you won't find anyone better. People talk about foreign mercenaries, he is one of the most loyal, professional, likeable people you could ever wish to meet in football. This is a man who captained Liverpool to a treble in 2001. The man who Rafa Benitez rested in the league in 2005 (we finished 5th behind Moyes's Everton) so he could be the rock on which we built our 2005 European Cup win. The man who was thrown into a Liverpool team at the last minute at Old Trafford against the team we were fighting against for the league in 2009 and kept Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez quiet whilst we battered them 4-1. No fuss. He didn't complain about, and actually supported, the decision to give the captaincy to Gerrard in 2004. There's lots of other stuff, he's a team player. If he's anything like he was for us, you'll love him.

As a manager, I don't know. He's inexperienced. You'd be right to be on the fence. Sami has proved nothing either side of that fence. But there's no reason not to be optimistic. He took the third or fourth best team in Germany to third and fourth in the league. Mr Experience, Roy Hodgson, took a team that was was composed of European Cup winners from 7th to fighting relegation at Christmas before he was sacked. And let's not get hung up about Sami getting sacked at Leverkusen. In their early careers, Wenger was sacked at Monaco. Ferguson was sacked at St Mirren. Benitez was sacked at Real Valladolid and Osasuna only 5 years before winning two La Ligas with Valencia. Look at the 'Manager of the year' winners this year, Rodgers (sacked by Reading) and Pulis (sacked by Gillingham).

The biggest question, for me, would be his acumen in the transfer market. He has no record good or bad. He will have good contacts, and plenty of goodwill, and to be honest I'd be surprised if you don't have a load of loans to try and get you up. I don't intend to patronise you, although it may come across that way, but we (LFC) have loads of decent kids and fringe players who could probably do a good job for you on loan, Ibe (at Birmingham), Ilori (at Granada), Borini (Sunderland), Suso (Almeria), Coady (Sheff Utd) etc. Sami could tap into that, he knows England, never mind the German and Scandinavian contacts Sami has. Whether you want to be that kind of club is a different matter, and your choice, but would you take it if it meant promotion to the gravy train?

He may be a Liverpool fan, he may be willing to crawl across broken glass with his flies unzipped for our managers job, but the only way that's going to happen is if he's such a massive success for you that we can't ignore him. Surely you'd take that now, given what it would have meant for you? Like Southampton have with Ricky Lambert?

In short, I hope he's a massive success for you. Honestly.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Okay, first post.

I'm a 45-year-old Liverpool fan who thinks he's seen it all and registered here to give my view, I hope it's not unwelcome.

I'll be honest, I know very little about your club aside from Jimmy Case played for you in the 80's, you knocked us out of the FA Cup in the 80's. And I don't where 'Hove' is or what it does ;) However, Sami Hyypia. He's a club legend at LFC. Character-wise, you won't find anyone better. People talk about foreign mercenaries, he is one of the most loyal, professional, likeable people you could ever wish to meet in football. This is a man who captained Liverpool to a treble in 2001. The man who Rafa Benitez rested in the league in 2005 (we finished 5th behind Moyes's Everton) so he could be the rock on which we built our 2005 European Cup win. The man who was thrown into a Liverpool team at the last minute at Old Trafford against the team we were fighting against for the league in 2009 and kept Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez quiet whilst we battered them 4-1. No fuss. He didn't complain about, and actually supported, the decision to give the captaincy to Gerrard in 2004. There's lots of other stuff, he's a team player. If he's anything like he was for us, you'll love him.

As a manager, I don't know. He's inexperienced. You'd be right to be on the fence. Sami has proved nothing either side of that fence. But there's no reason not to be optimistic. He took the third or fourth best team in Germany to third and fourth in the league. Mr Experience, Roy Hodgson, took a team that was was composed of European Cup winners from 7th to fighting relegation at Christmas before he was sacked. And let's not get hung up about Sami getting sacked at Leverkusen. In their early careers, Wenger was sacked at Monaco. Ferguson was sacked at St Mirren. Benitez was sacked at Real Valladolid and Osasuna only 5 years before winning two La Ligas with Valencia. Look at the 'Manager of the year' winners this year, Rodgers (sacked by Reading) and Pulis (sacked by Gillingham).

The biggest question, for me, would be his acumen in the transfer market. He has no record good or bad. He will have good contacts, and plenty of goodwill, and to be honest I'd be surprised if you don't have a load of loans to try and get you up. I don't intend to patronise you, although it may come across that way, but we (LFC) have loads of decent kids and fringe players who could probably do a good job for you on loan, Ibe (at Birmingham), Ilori (at Granada), Borini (Sunderland), Suso (Almeria), Coady (Sheff Utd) etc. Sami could tap into that, he knows England, never mind the German and Scandinavian contacts Sami has. Whether you want to be that kind of club is a different matter, and your choice, but would you take it if it meant promotion to the gravy train?

He may be a Liverpool fan, he may be willing to crawl across broken glass with his flies unzipped for our managers job, but the only way that's going to happen is if he's such a massive success for you that we can't ignore him. Surely you'd take that now, given what it would have meant for you? Like Southampton have with Ricky Lambert?

In short, I hope he's a massive success for you. Honestly.

Thank you for taking the time to post. TBH I hope we don't overdo the loan thing. We need to invest in our squad, not yours, or anyone else's. That said, one or two season-long loans from your lot will be fine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank you for taking the time to post. TBH I hope we don't overdo the loan thing. We need to invest in our squad, not yours, or anyone else's. That said, one or two season-long loans from your lot will be fine.
Blimey you're easily pleased.

He knows:-
Nothing about The Albion.
Nothing about Hyypia, the manager.
Nothing about his style of play.
Nothing about his transfer policy.
Doesn't want to be patronising, and then is.
But is of the impression the world revolves around Liverpool winning the Champions League, 9 years ago.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
He's got more experience that Poyet had when he arrived - happy to give him a go and see what he brings. Lets get some new players on board now and build for the new season in a confident manner.

mikebha1963

May 13, 2014

But is of the impression the world revolves around Liverpool winning the Champions League, 9 years ago.

Alan Mullery
Nothing about the Albion
Nothing about him as manager
Nothing about his style of play
Nothing about his transfer policy
Wasnt patronising, but he could be as they are entitled be as they are one of the countries best and most respected clubs.
Oh yes and of course Mullery was rubbish was'nt he ??????
Give him a chance. Good bloke from a good football background.

Mike

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Happy its settled, but fence because his record is a bit uncertain (but so Gus when he was appointed so open minded for now)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Alan Mullery
Nothing about the Albion
Nothing about him as manager
Nothing about his style of play
Nothing about his transfer policy
Wasnt patronising, but he could be as they are entitled be as they are one of the countries best and most respected clubs.
Oh yes and of course Mullery was rubbish was'nt he ??????
Give him a chance. Good bloke from a good football background.

Mike
Wow I hope your other post made more sense.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Bit harsh on the Liverpool fan there. Anyway, I thought I made it clear I don't want to see loads of loans in. Rather I want to see us invest in buying new players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit harsh on the Liverpool fan there. Anyway, I thought I made it clear I don't want to see loads of loans in. Rather I want to see us invest in buying new players.
Yeah I know.
I wasn't digging at you, beyond the fact the fella in question actually said nothing, and took a hell of a lot of words to do it.

By virtue of that I certainly don't think I was being harsh on him, I think he got off quite lightly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here