Humility and perspective

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Excellent post, I was expecting you to get slated, glad to see the responsives have been in agreement. :)

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
It is an AMAZING to be an Albion fan but could some fans adopt a little humility and perspective?

1. We are not suddenly the 9th best supported club in the land........ We have sold a phenomenal number of season tickets which is brilliant but we are on a crest of a wave and capacity is limited compared to many larger clubs. Let's enjoy where we are but lets not get arrogant and too big for our boots.

2. There but for the grace of god...... We know our unfortunate history and it is a great feeling having put it behind us. Other football fans are not so lucky. Have we really forgotten how painful it is and how helpless you can feel when your club goes down the tubes. So many fans of so many their clubs backed us when we were in the shit. Are we so heartless with such short memories that we choose to gloat at others misfortune?

3. Careful how you treat people on your way up; you might meet them on the way down....... We are SO fortunate to have a genuine fan supporting our club. But (no disrespect to TB implied) how many Albion fans have inspected the accounts, looked at the business plan or carried out due dilligence on the Board? Probably few if any - not least because we are so happy! Yet some criticise Pompey fans for failing to do this. They are fans of their club just like we are of ours. Football finances are become more and more precarious. No one should assume that it can't happen to them whether for the first time or again.

4. Not every signing has to be a Vicente..... Obvious but some people are setting the bar higher and higher and expectations are going crazy. Maybe it doesn't matter but we need to be sustainable first and foremost. If the PL comes great but not at any cost. Let's not lose sight of our past as we dream of the future.

5. We have a great stadium..... But not everyone else's is suddenly a crap hole. Some would love a new stadium, some would just like better pies but all grounds were better than Withdean. Again, have some forgotten where we have come from?

As a club and a set of fans we made many friends over the last 20 years. We are out the other side but others are in the midst of have some tough times ahead. We can be an inspiration and a beacon of hope or we can turn our back on our roots becoming arrogant and disliked by all.

Ok,now shoot me!

:ascarf:

A far too sensible post for this forum :lolol: :lolol:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the op I do think that as part of NSC we can worry a little too much about how a handful of deluded nutters posting on here are perceived in the wider football community. The vast majority of football people know to take message boards with a bucket of salt. What matters is how we behave at games and in public in general. On that count we have little to worry about.

Agreed. I think a few people who take the piss on an internet message board isn't really representative of our fanbase as a whole. I would say most of our fans would agree with all the points made by the op apart from a select deluded few.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Does this mean I shouldn't be disappointed if we don't sign Michael Owen?

In all seriousness a good post and sometimes we could use a little more humility but then again we've had so little to shout about for many years one could hardly begrudge the odd joke at the expense of others.

As for TB and finances I really do hope his other business interests allow him to maintain control but it's more than likely going to be a hugely expensive job and at some point he may need to sell a controlling interest to others with more money (Madjeski is a good example) and then we'll be in the same place as most others in terms of our future financial security

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It is an AMAZING to be an Albion fan but could some fans adopt a little humility and perspective?

1. We are not suddenly the 9th best supported club in the land........ We have sold a phenomenal number of season tickets which is brilliant but we are on a crest of a wave and capacity is limited compared to many larger clubs. Let's enjoy where we are but lets not get arrogant and too big for our boots.

2. There but for the grace of god...... We know our unfortunate history and it is a great feeling having put it behind us. Other football fans are not so lucky. Have we really forgotten how painful it is and how helpless you can feel when your club goes down the tubes. So many fans of so many their clubs backed us when we were in the shit. Are we so heartless with such short memories that we choose to gloat at others misfortune?

3. Careful how you treat people on your way up; you might meet them on the way down....... We are SO fortunate to have a genuine fan supporting our club. But (no disrespect to TB implied) how many Albion fans have inspected the accounts, looked at the business plan or carried out due dilligence on the Board? Probably few if any - not least because we are so happy! Yet some criticise Pompey fans for failing to do this. They are fans of their club just like we are of ours. Football finances are become more and more precarious. No one should assume that it can't happen to them whether for the first time or again.

4. Not every signing has to be a Vicente..... Obvious but some people are setting the bar higher and higher and expectations are going crazy. Maybe it doesn't matter but we need to be sustainable first and foremost. If the PL comes great but not at any cost. Let's not lose sight of our past as we dream of the future.

5. We have a great stadium..... But not everyone else's is suddenly a crap hole. Some would love a new stadium, some would just like better pies but all grounds were better than Withdean. Again, have some forgotten where we have come from?

As a club and a set of fans we made many friends over the last 20 years. We are out the other side but others are in the midst of have some tough times ahead. We can be an inspiration and a beacon of hope or we can turn our back on our roots becoming arrogant and disliked by all.

Ok,now shoot me!

:ascarf:

You can tell the schools have broken up :lolol:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
This.

Or "I wish to express my endorsement of the opening poster's comments" - if you're not into that whole, you know, brevity thing.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Agree entirely with original post :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Good post.

Which highlights why we should not gloat at what is going on down the road at Portsmouth. Not the fault of their fans.

Exactly , we should all be gloating and taking the piss out of the tinpot club up the A23.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
*tips hat to OP*

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Agreed with almost all of that, except parts of point 3.

I completely trust Tony Bloom to know how much he can spend and to only spend what he has, so I don't feel the need for any of us to check the accounts. He hasn't splashed out a ridiculous amount on players yet and I'm led to believe our wage structure isn't extremely generous let alone unsustainable.

I was certainly not suggesting I don't trust TB, far from it. But we don't really know whether the financial model is stable or will be in the future. However we trust TB and the Board. But that trust is not actually based on anything but a good vibe, many good words and great actions. We don't have figures or actual proof to back up our optimism that we wont one day do a Pompey, Leicester etc. And why should we? We are not putting up our £millions and we are not shareholders. But how does this really make us different from other fans who have been let down by their club's owners?

In my view it doesn't. So again there but for the grace of God.......

( I also have a memory that we all thought Belotti was Ok... To start with!)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well said ABC. There's too much arrogance about at the moment. The most important thing is the long term stability of the club, not whether we get promoted (or relegated) in any particular season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports