Humility and perspective

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Very good opening post. Some perspective at last. It really does not seem that long ago that we were fighting for our lives. Let's appreciate where we are now and respect the position of others less fortunate.

farawaysaint

Oct 1, 2011
Interesting... One way to measure support could be number of season ticket holders over cost in pounds. This would give you a directly comparable figure of support with clubs who pay more for their season tickets. So for example say Leeds have half the number of ST holders but twice the price it would be more relevant I feel? Just a thought if you truly do want to see just how you compare.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
It is an AMAZING to be an Albion fan but could some fans adopt a little humility and perspective?

1. We are not suddenly the 9th best supported club in the land........ We have sold a phenomenal number of season tickets which is brilliant but we are on a crest of a wave and capacity is limited compared to many larger clubs. Let's enjoy where we are but lets not get arrogant and too big for our boots.

2. There but for the grace of god...... We know our unfortunate history and it is a great feeling having put it behind us. Other football fans are not so lucky. Have we really forgotten how painful it is and how helpless you can feel when your club goes down the tubes. So many fans of so many their clubs backed us when we were in the shit. Are we so heartless with such short memories that we choose to gloat at others misfortune?

3. Careful how you treat people on your way up; you might meet them on the way down....... We are SO fortunate to have a genuine fan supporting our club. But (no disrespect to TB implied) how many Albion fans have inspected the accounts, looked at the business plan or carried out due dilligence on the Board? Probably few if any - not least because we are so happy! Yet some criticise Pompey fans for failing to do this. They are fans of their club just like we are of ours. Football finances are become more and more precarious. No one should assume that it can't happen to them whether for the first time or again.

4. Not every signing has to be a Vicente..... Obvious but some people are setting the bar higher and higher and expectations are going crazy. Maybe it doesn't matter but we need to be sustainable first and foremost. If the PL comes great but not at any cost. Let's not lose sight of our past as we dream of the future.

5. We have a great stadium..... But not everyone else's is suddenly a crap hole. Some would love a new stadium, some would just like better pies but all grounds were better than Withdean. Again, have some forgotten where we have come from?

As a club and a set of fans we made many friends over the last 20 years. We are out the other side but others are in the midst of have some tough times ahead. We can be an inspiration and a beacon of hope or we can turn our back on our roots becoming arrogant and disliked by all.

Ok,now shoot me!

:ascarf:
Now johnbumlick this is the last time you naughty boy

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Great post... About time someone said it.

As for our fans revelling in Pompey's demise, shame on you all! You have very short memories of our recent battles to stay as a football club!

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Very good opening post. Some perspective at last. It really does not seem that long ago that we were fighting for our lives. Let's appreciate where we are now and respect the position of others less fortunate.

Agree with this. Exactly the approach you'd like to think Albion fans would take...given what we've been through and fought for.

We should show some class. Oh and John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood (aka TCWTB - work it out!) showed up for Fans United at the Goldstone in 1997. He's not to many people's taste and PFC are a corrupt mess. But to wish them gone as some on here do?!!

No true football fan would wish that other fans' local club dies imo. :ohmy:

I await a flaming.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
We should show some class. Oh and John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood (aka TCWTB - work it out!) showed up for Fans United at the Goldstone in 1997.

Exactly, yet to read some of the vitriol towards him by Albion fans on this site should make them hang their heads in shame. He probably made more effort to save Brighton than half the people who now claim to have been at every rally, demo, march, Gillingham etc. Never met the bloke, looks a pratt but he supported us in our hour of need so OK by me and I hope his club survives too.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Regards Pompey, yes they maybe should have done a bit more, it's surprising knowing the insularity of that area that they did not. But deny them a football club?

This this this..........i cannot stand Pompey but the all the gloating of (some of) their fans in their (Unpaid for) glory years and the posturing of a section of their 70/80s style hooligan fans, the seemingly inaction of their loyal support in desperate times for the club cannot be a reason to want their fantastic, yes sorry hard to say but on the whole fantastic, supporters to lose their club. I hope they stay shit for many years to come, not to lose them though. We hardly know the in-and- outs of the club so who are we to criticise a club we only view from the outside. We have been very very very lucky the way things have panned out for our club, lets not get all high and mighty about clubs in dire positions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports