Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Humility and perspective

abc

Jan 6, 2007
It is an AMAZING to be an Albion fan but could some fans adopt a little humility and perspective?

1. We are not suddenly the 9th best supported club in the land........ We have sold a phenomenal number of season tickets which is brilliant but we are on a crest of a wave and capacity is limited compared to many larger clubs. Let's enjoy where we are but lets not get arrogant and too big for our boots.

2. There but for the grace of god...... We know our unfortunate history and it is a great feeling having put it behind us. Other football fans are not so lucky. Have we really forgotten how painful it is and how helpless you can feel when your club goes down the tubes. So many fans of so many their clubs backed us when we were in the shit. Are we so heartless with such short memories that we choose to gloat at others misfortune?

3. Careful how you treat people on your way up; you might meet them on the way down....... We are SO fortunate to have a genuine fan supporting our club. But (no disrespect to TB implied) how many Albion fans have inspected the accounts, looked at the business plan or carried out due dilligence on the Board? Probably few if any - not least because we are so happy! Yet some criticise Pompey fans for failing to do this. They are fans of their club just like we are of ours. Football finances are become more and more precarious. No one should assume that it can't happen to them whether for the first time or again.

4. Not every signing has to be a Vicente..... Obvious but some people are setting the bar higher and higher and expectations are going crazy. Maybe it doesn't matter but we need to be sustainable first and foremost. If the PL comes great but not at any cost. Let's not lose sight of our past as we dream of the future.

5. We have a great stadium..... But not everyone else's is suddenly a crap hole. Some would love a new stadium, some would just like better pies but all grounds were better than Withdean. Again, have some forgotten where we have come from?

As a club and a set of fans we made many friends over the last 20 years. We are out the other side but others are in the midst of have some tough times ahead. We can be an inspiration and a beacon of hope or we can turn our back on our roots becoming arrogant and disliked by all.

Ok,now shoot me!

:ascarf:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
great post and I read it all no drivel all good
agree wholeheartedly with it all

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It has taken a lot of hard work to get to where we are now, and much more is still needed if we're to progress further. It doesn't take a great deal for us to plunge back to where we once were, I think we need to remember that. I think also with some of the recent threads, they should be taken with a pinch of salt, but either way, no one can deny we deserve a little bit of credit for getting this far.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I agree fully, I've always been very proud to be a Brighton fan and our understanding of other clubs was a part of that. Like them or not we shouldn't be giving the Pompy fans such shit. If they do have to reform I for one hope we are able to loan out some of our youth to the fan run club, and support them.

We were given alot of support from teams in our bad times and it's time we pay some of that back and not forget.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It is an AMAZING to be an Albion fan but could some fans adopt a little humility and perspective?

1. We are not suddenly the 9th best supported club in the land........ We have sold a phenomenal number of season tickets which is brilliant but we are on a crest of a wave and capacity is limited compared to many larger clubs. Let's enjoy where we are but lets not get arrogant and too big for our boots.

2. There but for the grace of god...... We know our unfortunate history and it is a great feeling having put it behind us. Other football fans are not so lucky. Have we really forgotten how painful it is and how helpless you can feel when your club goes down the tubes. So many fans of so many their clubs backed us when we were in the shit. Are we so heartless with such short memories that we choose to gloat at others misfortune?

3. Careful how you treat people on your way up; you might meet them on the way down....... We are SO fortunate to have a genuine fan supporting our club. But (no disrespect to TB implied) how many Albion fans have inspected the accounts, looked at the business plan or carried out due dilligence on the Board? Probably few if any - not least because we are so happy! Yet some criticise Pompey fans for failing to do this. They are fans of their club just like we are of ours. Football finances are become more and more precarious. No one should assume that it can't happen to them whether for the first time or again.

4. Not every signing has to be a Vicente..... Obvious but some people are setting the bar higher and higher and expectations are going crazy. Maybe it doesn't matter but we need to be sustainable first and foremost. If the PL comes great but not at any cost. Let's not lose sight of our past as we dream of the future.

5. We have a great stadium..... But not everyone else's is suddenly a crap hole. Some would love a new stadium, some would just like better pies but all grounds were better than Withdean. Again, have some forgotten where we have come from?

As a club and a set of fans we made many friends over the last 20 years. We are out the other side but others are in the midst of have some tough times ahead. We can be an inspiration and a beacon of hope or we can turn our back on our roots becoming arrogant and disliked by all.

Ok,now shoot me!

are we sure there is a place for such reasoned,calculated,objective commentary on NSC ......???

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Good post.

Which highlights why we should not gloat at what is going on down the road at Portsmouth. Not the fault of their fans.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Ok,now shoot me!

Well said.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Agreed with almost all of that, except parts of point 3.

I completely trust Tony Bloom to know how much he can spend and to only spend what he has, so I don't feel the need for any of us to check the accounts. He hasn't splashed out a ridiculous amount on players yet and I'm led to believe our wage structure isn't extremely generous let alone unsustainable.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Ok,now shoot me!

Blimey, good stuff.

- I agree 100%

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agree strongly with points 1,4 and 5.

If point 2 refers to some people's disdain for the situation at pompey then I do not agree, that football club will hopefully get what it deserves. As regards point 3 I agree with SeagullSongs post above.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

Ok,now shoot me!

most sensible, spot on post I've read on NSC in a long time.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I agree fully, I've always been very proud to be a Brighton fan and our understanding of other clubs was a part of that. Like them or not we shouldn't be giving the Pompy fans such shit. If they do have to reform I for one hope we are able to loan out some of our youth to the fan run club, and support them.

We were given alot of support from teams in our bad times and it's time we pay some of that back and not forget.

And unlike some on here, I'd find little to celebrate in Pompey actually going out of business
I'd rather they were just shit.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
To be honest, this attendance thing bores the shit out of me. As a football supporter you either play the hand you were dealt or you leech on to some successful club that has nothing whatsoever to do with you. Even leaving Gillingham and Withdean aside, I remember standing on the north stand at the Goldstone watching utter dross in complete silence with huge gaps all around the terraces. It's what happens when you support your local club (unless you happen to be local to Manchester, Liverpool, N London etc etc.) It's fantastic that we are on the rise again but calling other clubs "tinpot" and laughing at their 9000 STH's is, well, tinpot. Palace fans are essentially the same as us in so far as they are playing the hand they were dealt. Respect for that. It goes without saying that I can't stand their club but these we sing louder than you tit for tats are cringeworthy.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the op I do think that as part of NSC we can worry a little too much about how a handful of deluded nutters posting on here are perceived in the wider football community. The vast majority of football people know to take message boards with a bucket of salt. What matters is how we behave at games and in public in general. On that count we have little to worry about.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Regards Pompey, yes they maybe should have done a bit more, it's surprising knowing the insularity of that area that they did not. But deny them a football club?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think the OP is spot on. A good number of so-called Albion supporters seemingly have a very short memory (or no memory at all). Piss-poor show.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
To be honest, this attendance thing bores the shit out of me. As a football supporter you either play the hand you were dealt or you leech on to some successful club that has nothing whatsoever to do with you. Even leaving Gillingham and Withdean aside, I remember standing on the north stand at the Goldstone watching utter dross in complete silence with huge gaps all around the terraces. It's what happens when you support your local club (unless you happen to be local to Manchester, Liverpool, N London etc etc.) It's fantastic that we are on the rise again but calling other clubs "tinpot" and laughing at their 9000 STH's is, well, tinpot. Palace fans are essentially the same as us in so far as they are playing the hand they were dealt. Respect for that. It goes without saying that I can't stand their club but these we sing louder than you tit for tats are cringeworthy.

especially when you consider how much competition small/medium sized clubs in the Midlands / North West / London areas have for their support

there's a little bit too much grandstanding on here at the mo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here