Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton Out

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So, you compare Hughton's worse ten games (when limited attacking options were reduced further with both Baldock and March out) compared to Hyypia's best ten.

Whatever you say about Hyypia, his last 18 games only produced one win. That is terrible. He only won three from 22 in total. Hughton won six in 22. Not great but a lot better.

The Tilley thing is odd but if he's as piss poor as you say, he wouldn't even have taken him to the game. If he'd brought him on earlier and Tilley had made an error to lose us the game, a lot of people (almost certainly including you) would have slagged off Hughton.

We gained Stephens and Best to make up for Baldock and March so you cannot use that excuse???

We have lost more under Hughton and Hyypia drew more and scored more goals. 7 points and 3 goals from the last 10 games is awful and can't be dressed up.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yes because he's shuffling shit!
If we had a good manager who could actually organise and motivate the squad we'd certainly be higher in the league.Lets be frank our squad is mostly full of experienced players and our squad is still better than many squads in this division.

It's a poor excuse to blame so called shite players
The tactics from hooton has been really poor as you only have to watch our matches to see why we're so shite,no players in and around the box,players being played out of position,7 defensive players week after week.

A quality manager would address these simple problems or change tactics...He hasn't a clue

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We gained Stephens and Best to make up for Baldock and March so you cannot use that excuse???

We have lost more under Hughton and Hyypia drew more and scored more goals. 7 points and 3 goals from the last 10 games is awful and can't be dressed up.

I really don't get your point. Nobody is dressing it up. It's been very poor. But it was much, much worse under Hyypia. If you think otherwise, you're either Sami himself or missed the first half of the season.

Gaining Best is hardly relevant as he has been very poor (and replaced Bent who Hyypia had for his last four games). We gained Stephens but he'd been out for ages and is not the same as Baldock and March. We've missed Baldock a lot as he'd come into good form under Hughton.

Hyypia got 13 points from his last 18 games in charge. We were going down under his management. Hughton's kept us up. That will do for now (although I'd have liked to be higher up the table obviously) but it won't for next season so Hughton's got a lot of work to do. Sacking him now and waiting for a new manager to come in will not help.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If we had a good manager who could actually organise and motivate the squad we'd certainly be higher in the league.Lets be frank our squad is mostly full of experienced players and our squad is still better than many squads in this division.

The tactics from hooton has been really poor as you only have to watch our matches to see why we're so shite,no players in and around the box,players being played out of position,7 defensive players week after week.

A quality manager would address these simple problems or change tactics...He hasn't a clue

It's a very difficult job when you have no strikers who can score. Whatever you do with the rest of the team, if your strikers can't score you will always be down the bottom. I really hope we can sign a good striker in the summer and that will mean Hughton's tactics will be more attacking. Obviously this may not happen but I'm hopeful.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Houghton did what was asked of him by keeping Albion up...and although I'm willing to give him a chance for next season...a Player who will remain nameless told of him being very defensive...make of that what you will,but I'd rather see us lose 4-3 than being beat 1-0 we pay to see goals,I've seen a lot of goal scorers for the Albion over my 57 years of being there on the terraces...nothing gets the adrenlin moving more than to see the Seagulls score.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's a very difficult job when you have no strikers who can score. Whatever you do with the rest of the team, if your strikers can't score you will always be down the bottom. I really hope we can sign a good striker in the summer and that will mean Hughton's tactics will be more attacking. Obviously this may not happen but I'm hopeful.
Problem is we don't create enough decent chances and midfielders are to deep when they should be supporting the strikers and the midfield contribution has also been dire.
If you have defenders scoring all the goals then that tells you that the system is wrong surely?
It's like all the defenders attack and all the midfielders sit back...bloody strange

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I agree with you but think it should be strikerS as you need several. That's where Howe has got things right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Houghton did what was asked of him by keeping Albion up...and although I'm willing to give him a chance for next season...a Player who will remain nameless told of him being very defensive...make of that what you will,but I'd rather see us lose 4-3 than being beat 1-0 we pay to see goals,I've seen a lot of goal scorers for the Albion over my 57 years of being there on the terraces...nothing gets the adrenlin moving more than to see the Seagulls score.
Losing 4-3 will get us relegated.

D

Deleted member 2719

No ambition, about as passionate as a potato, get rid now and save next season, please!!!!

Unfair on Potatoes.

Hughton has nothing about him lets get rid now he must not get a chance to start our season, we need a fast start out of the traps for the first 10 games, not this loser.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
To be fair, that's not always true. We played really well against Leeds and Ipswich for example. We lost our way in the last month but we had very limited options. Losing both Baldock and March meant our limited attacking options were even more limited.

I'm not saying Hughton is perfect and guaranteeing things will change next season. However, he's kept us up and deserves the chance to build a new squad in the summer. Whether that works, none of us know but I really think changing manager now would be madness (especially given the last two per seasons we've had).
We have to let CH choose his own players in pre-season and hope its a double step-up on this season. Lets see Oct/Nov how it pans out before we criticise. but saying that didn't Watford have 4 managers in the first two months of this season and look where it got them. All it needs is the right manager and right players. We haven't got the right players yet. Have we got the right manager?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Problem is we don't create enough decent chances and midfielders are to deep when they should be supporting the strikers and the midfield contribution has also been dire.
If you have defenders scoring all the goals then that tells you that the system is wrong surely?
It's like all the defenders attack and all the midfielders sit back...bloody strange

It depends on where you see the problem. I'm not saying we create enough chances but there's no sign that our strikers would score if we created thirty chances per game.

I hope that a good striker will make a big difference and we'll be more attacking then. I may be wrong but Hughton showed enough in that run of home wins to suggest he can get the best out of the team. The last few weeks have been poor but he deserves that chance.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Well all I can say if your happy with this squad then crack on! I've been to 20 home games under Garcia, Hyypia and Hughton and haven't seen us win yet and Garcia had a far better squad mate the players ain't good enough some of the football under Poyet wasn't great either! Let's put all the blame on the manager and give the players a pay rise ffs! :facepalm:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I agree with you but think it should be strikerS as you need several. That's where Howe has got things right.

Fair point. Think we'll sign two, keep Baldock and let O'Grady go. We might even sign three if we decide to go two up front (which we don't have the wingers for at the moment).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I really don't get your point. Nobody is dressing it up. It's been very poor. But it was much, much worse under Hyypia. If you think otherwise, you're either Sami himself or missed the first half of the season.

Gaining Best is hardly relevant as he has been very poor (and replaced Bent who Hyypia had for his last four games). We gained Stephens but he'd been out for ages and is not the same as Baldock and March. We've missed Baldock a lot as he'd come into good form under Hughton.

Hyypia got 13 points from his last 18 games in charge. We were going down under his management. Hughton's kept us up. That will do for now (although I'd have liked to be higher up the table obviously) but it won't for next season so Hughton's got a lot of work to do. Sacking him now and waiting for a new manager to come in will not help.

Gaining Best is very relevant, Hughton has worked with him before and was a loan signing that should have been an advantage to us.

I am not saying that we should sack him, or that it would be best to sack him. I am just not convinced of his brand of football, as the Norwich fans who have posted on here warned us.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

So you think we gained by signing Best? Moron! :wrong:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here