Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton out

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
All very well making judgment when you didn't have the conviction to offer an opinion at the time.
If you were CH in at this point and made it known, then gloat away if it makes you feel better.

But let's not forget, TB wanted Hyypia to stay, which would've almost certainly meant relegation- who knows where we would be now? Hindsighting like this is bullshit.

Easy to forget that we stayed up by pure luck as well

I don't think relegation was avoided by luck. Around that time someone said to me. '' Its difficult having to keep a clean sheet to pick up any points at all '' - Relegation was avoided by virtue of those clean sheets.

In the close season after that. Was one of the best transitions of a squad I have seen at Championship level on such a limited budget. He always says it takes at least 4 transfer windows to build a squad sensibly and true to his word he got Promotion after 4 transfer windows.

Then you go up to the PL and it takes another 4 Transfer Windows to build a PL team and we are on the 3rd Transfer window now and I think he might just be on course AGAIN.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Wonder what would have happened if Hyypia hadn't resigned? Relegation, almost certainly.

Maybe players as good as him (and as good as the players he had around him in his playing days at Liverpool) could have made his system work.

But the awful squad he had, thanks to Burke, buggered him from the start. I remember his second league game, at Birmingham. The poor bugger had to try and get a result with Chicksen, Ince, Forster-Caskey and O'Grady in the team, with the likes of Fenelon and Kemy on the bench. Imagine Mourinho's moans if he had to make something out of that!

Didn't Burke and co. then 'help' him (IIRC) by adding Joe Bennet and Gary Gardner to the squad........... :facepalm:

I don't think relegation was avoided by luck. Around that time someone said to me. '' Its difficult having to keep a clean sheet to pick up any points at all '' - Relegation was avoided by virtue of those clean sheets.

In the close season after that. Was one of the best transitions of a squad I have seen at Championship level on such a limited budget. He always says it takes at least 4 transfer windows to build a squad sensibly and true to his word he got Promotion after 4 transfer windows.

Then you go up to the PL and it takes another 4 Transfer Windows to build a PL team and we are on the 3rd Transfer window now and I think he might just be on course AGAIN.

Maybe pure luck is a bit far, but generally, 47 points doesn't get you much further than 22nd in that league. Peterborough went down with 54 the season before.

CH walked into an utter shitstorm, absolutely. I've always had a lot of respect for him as a manager and as a man, but he seemed like the wrong appointment at the time. He would've been perfect to pick up from where Oscar left off, but I don't look back at my reservations that he could get the best out of a poor bunch of players who had clearly had the enthusiasm knocked out of them and think 'I was a total idiot.'

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe pure luck is a bit far, but generally, 47 points doesn't get you much further than 22nd in that league. Peterborough went down with 54 the season before.

CH walked into an utter shitstorm, absolutely. I've always had a lot of respect for him as a manager and as a man, but he seemed like the wrong appointment at the time. He would've been perfect to pick up from where Oscar left off, but I don't look back at my reservations that he could get the best out of a poor bunch of players who had clearly had the enthusiasm knocked out of them and think 'I was a total idiot.'
Yes, but the shit-storm he inherited was tthe same shit-storm that Hyypia walked into. Crap recruitment.. Chris hauled it round - Hyypia just didn't get it that they were players who couldn't play the way he wanted. That's why he failed.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Yes, but the shit-storm he inherited was tthe same shit-storm that Hyypia walked into. Crap recruitment.. Chris hauled it round - Hyypia just didn't get it that they were players who couldn't play the way he wanted. That's why he failed.

True. Then again, Hyypia also managed to get one of the biggest clubs in Switzerland relegated from the top flight for the first time in almost 30 years, which is no mean feat.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That's why David Burke was sacked on Christmas Eve before Chris joined us. He was also the cause of Oscar resigning and other managerial fall outs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All very well making judgment when you didn't have the conviction to offer an opinion at the time.
If you were CH in at this point and made it known, then gloat away if it makes you feel better.

But let's not forget, TB wanted Hyypia to stay, which would've almost certainly meant relegation- who knows where we would be now? Hindsighting like this is bullshit.

Easy to forget that we stayed up by pure luck as well.

The league table after 46 games never lies. The three teams that went down deserved it more than us. Fact.

Hindsight? Some of us defended CH in this thread and got it right.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Phew, I got lucky with a pro-CH post, when so many others thought he was crap!

I can’t recall posting that, but I do remember my view that squad quality was allowed deliberately to dip massively (post Lopez, Vicente, Orlandi, Bridge and Upson), as TB/PB tried to stem annual accounts losses. But s/t numbers falling by 3,500 as a result over 2 seasons.

They then changed tack, invested heavily to back CH and the rest is history.

Yeah, maybe, or perhaps you're one of the few who were able to view his first few months in charge as a mission ONLY to keep us up and showed enough foresight to understand that the next season was pivotal to how CH should be judged.

Not that I'm hero-worshiping at all, you understand :bowdown:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah, maybe, or perhaps you're one of the few who were able to view his first few months in charge as a mission ONLY to keep us up and showed enough foresight to understand that the next season was pivotal to how CH should be judged.

Not that I'm hero-worshiping at all, you understand :bowdown:

That must have been how cerebral TB & PB saw it. :):)

Thankfully NSC’ers hatchet men had zero influence on real events.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PS: we're only a long poor run away from this thread being started up again seriously.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It was a great transition. It wasn't a limited budget.

It was a lot less than what other clubs around him spent back then and even now other clubs are spending more, especially when he was getting, ''jack shit'' for what was going out the door - no players were costing more than around 3 or 4 million back then

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
PS: we're only a long poor run away from this thread being started up again seriously.

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it now - and I'll say it again if somebody starts this thread up again seriously. Even if we get relegated I'd still want to keep CH as our manager to get us back up after one or two seasons. If we look to be heading for League 1 approaching some future Christmas, then I'll change my mind - but only then.
And yes, even if we're heading for a European spot I'll still be moaning about his substitutions and calling for him to leave Izzy or Knocky (or another one of our fastest players) up on the half way line at corners and free kicks!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here