Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton named new Albion Manager

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is the equivalent of a stand up comedy show and halfway through the evening Ronnie Corbett walks onstage.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Brighton & Hove Albion have appointed former Spurs and Republic of Ireland international defender Chris Hughton as first-team manager on a three-and-a-half-year contract.

The 56-year-old former Newcastle United, Birmingham City and Norwich City manager will take charge with immediate effect.

Chairman Tony Bloom said, "Chris has an excellent record in coaching and management. He's hugely respected, both nationally and internationally, and he has great contacts within the game.

"He is someone who has a real wealth of experience in the top two divisions, from nearly 15 years at Spurs as a coach, assistant and interim manager, through to his more recent work in the Premier League and Championship.

"Chris is also a manager who has a track record for developing talent at all levels from academy upwards and will embrace the work we've been doing at the club in this area in recent seasons.

"Importantly, we also felt Chris is someone who can improve our immediate situation, while also having the management credentials and skills to plan our long-term future and help us to get back to progressing in the way we have in previous seasons.

Hughton added, "I'm thrilled to be back in management and Brighton & Hove Albion is a fantastic club, with a first-class infrastructure both in footballing and business terms.

"We've got one very obvious initial challenge, and I am aiming to hit the ground running, but I am confident with the resources at the club we can succeed in retaining our status in the Championship.

“Once that is achieved we can work towards getting the club back challenging at the top end of the division."

Meanwhile, Bloom has paid tribute to the role Nathan Jones has played as interim boss over the past nine days, and says he now has an important role to play as part of Hughton’s coaching team.

Bloom added, "Anybody who saw Nathan's reaction at full-time at Fulham on Monday evening at Craven Cottage knows just what this club means to him and how important this football club is to him.

"He's an important part of our club and will be a vital part of Chris's team. During his interim spell in charge, he has done a superb job in tough circumstances, with suspensions, injury and illness.

"Nathan has further underlined his coaching ability by lifting us out of the drop zone and giving the fans one of the best away days for some time.

"I am really grateful to Nathan, Joaquin Gomez, Antti Niemi, Simon Rusk and the rest of the backroom team, and I thank them all for their efforts."

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
All those that are underwhelmed by Chris Hughton, who were you wanting us to appoint ?

We don't know the actual list of people that the club approached or applied to us so it's speculation. I will give him his chance but I'm not convinced.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think appointing a more experienced manager like Hughton is the right way to go. TB has put in charge three inexperienced managers in a row with mixed results. Poyet was a success, Garcia not so much so and the football became unexciting, Sami was a gamble that went wrong very quickly. Nathan Jones MAY have been a success but I reckon Bloom would have thought it a gamble too far and a relegated team under N J would have the fans on Blooms back for appointing another untried manager. NJ's time may come with or without us later but for now we have more chance of moving upwards than we did under SH.

We are in agreement about Nathan and Hughton. I think you're harsh on Oscar.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I've seen loads of positive comments from Brum fans who say that we're lucky to have him, same from Geordies; Norwich mostly slag him off so something was clearly amiss there. More to do with a Premiership team built from Championship players necessitating a more defensive style to survive would be my guess. We all know how fickle football fans can be and how a season or two of success suddenly means that you should be beating everyone. Sounds kind of familiar to me.

Here's hoping for a good few seasons from him to build the team back up again and be competitive next season and mount a real challenge the following. It'll take time to recover what's happened to the squad I believe.

there maybe a lot of truth in that as to why Norwich brand him as defensive. His Newcastle team were swashbucklng and offensive. But when you're managing a team like Norwich in the Prem and of the squad is championship level players, you cant take the game to Man City or Chelsea, you'll get spanked. Park the bus, hope to hit on the break is about the best in the circumstances. I'm guessing Hughton adapted to the reality rather than setting out some grand defensive blueprint.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As for the football we will have to wait and see, but I never thought of Chris as boring, he plays out from a strong defence and pushes forward and usually had old fashioned centre forwards to bang em in, he also likes a hard defensive midfielder as well.
I have always liked him he is a true british professional who has played and managed at the top level, seems like a nice bloke too who will give 100%. His post and pre match interviews were always fair and honest with no ego and stupid statements.He cares and is not the type to jump ship at a whim.
I think he will do well with us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good news, probably the best manager available to us. Let's just hope he's got more than one string to his bow, and the football's not dull.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Prefers 4-2-3-1 and has a 40% win 26% draw and 34% loss ratio. My quick maths says that if he achieves that we will be around the 51+ points mark come the end of the season...will that be enough?

Given our line-up, result and performance on Monday night, his preference for 4-2-3-1 bodes well. Especially with Holla and Ince working together as the DM2, with the option of JFC and Stephens filling in when necessary. We just need what everyone else wants, a goalscoring, strong, mobile centre forward. Hopefully we've got one lined up for the transfer window (probably from Europe) or a loan for the rest of the season (someone like Altidore would fit the bill).
Other than that, maybe an attacking, goalscoring midfielder although we might want to wait for the summer for a better and wider choice, and securing Joe Bennett and Halford permanently would do me.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
His championship win percentage is 54%, a a draw percentage of 30%, quality appointment.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sky were going to the press conference but nothing has happened

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
has a 40% win 26% draw and 34% loss ratio. My quick maths says that if he achieves that we will be around the 51+ points mark come the end of the season...will that be enough?
My maths says we'd be on 55 points.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All those that are underwhelmed by Chris Hughton, who were you wanting us to appoint ?

Why do people on this thread keep referring to "all those underwhelmed by Hughton"? It makes it sound like there are loads of people like that when there clearly aren't. On Bozza's current "are you happy with Hughton?" poll, the score is 136-13. It's an absolute landslide.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I couldn't give a shit if he plays boring football, we can't have it both ways. Just get us clear of that bloody relegation zone and most importantly get some stability back at this club, because the last 4 months of football have been miserable.
Push on and let's get back in that top half again so that it matches the ambition of our stadium and training ground. Last thing I want to be seeing is the fixture list printed for League 1 with our name on it, and then losing 7-8 thousand season ticket holders.

Totally, absolutely 100% this. We've recruited a manager and assistant who meet most people's specification for the job + retained Jones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here