[Albion] Hughton: Judge us after the transfer window

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh dear Chris!
Better to say nothing than to trot out almost verbatim the "promises" from last year? Poorly judged & poorly timed IMO :(

He's being fed the party line.

But he was clearly being interviewed by Naylor or at a press conference. I doubt he just walked in to Argus Towers and gave them a quote. What's the headline if he refuses? "Hughton Refuses to Talk over Transfer Disappointment"? What if he gives a really bullish interview? Everyone says it's spin and it gets spat back at him if we fail. He's an intelligent, honest guy and those are intelligent, honest quotes.

Adjust your expectations people. We're probably not going up. I'd really just settle for a better season than the last one at the moment.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pretty much no club has every signing in place by the time of the first game, but it's all about how close you are. I don't think you can go into the first game more than two players short of what you need and expect to challenge. At the moment, we're at least three away, and more importantly the positions we need are the most difficult to fill.

I really think we need one more signing before Forest so that we haven't got too much to do in late August and to inspire a bit of confidence.

Even the promoted clubs are still a couple of players short of optimum even in important positions.

When in the glory years of the late seventies we had the spine of the side, Lawrenson, Horton, Ward, but we didn't have a fast winger, Maybank and Poskett as target men was short of the mark, and the box-to-box in midfield (Clark) was a shortcoming.

None of the current Championship sides have got a covering central defender who is very good. We have Kayal in the Horton role and Kayal looks better or at least quicker. And if I was to pick the best striker in the Championship I think I would go for McCormack. Second Chris Martin for his effectiveness and I have always rated Daryl Murphy ahead of Ashley Barnes (even when Barnes was scoring more).

Still Derby look to be strong in all areas until Thorne gets injured and some winger finds Forsyth out. Middlesbrough look like they have more wingers than can even fit into their first team squad e.g. Carayol may be surplus.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think we probably need another half a dozen players on the basis we could lose a couple of strikers (one where we get back the money we shelled out and the other for a nominal fee).

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Really ? You think they'd spin last year to be have gone well ?
Bloom has been pretty clear about last season's disappointment in various forums
Here's his letter to ST holders this week
. "Obviously last season did not go as we had intended, and our aim this year is to be much better on the pitch, getting back to the level you had become accustomed in the previous two seasons"

But sadly as it stands another season of struggle lays ahead with no real improvement as it stands

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Without additional signings, and signings of quality not also rans, we run the risk of being in the bottom 4 of the table by the end of August, probably with 3 points or less; and with all the pressure on the squad that this entails. I can't believe how short-sighted the club is being after last season's debacle. You would have thought we'd have learned our lesson but it would appear not. Endless amounts of spin and bullshit but little sign of any action but at least we can look forward to a mouth-watering line up at the Amex this season:

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/mouth-watering-line-up-at-the-amex-this-season-2585214.aspx?

Just a shame it won't be on the pitch. I can't remember being quite as depressed as this shortly before the start of a season.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Without additional signings, and signings of quality not also rans, we run the risk of being in the bottom 4 of the table by the end of August, probably with 3 points or less; and with all the pressure on the squad that this entails. I can't believe how short-sighted the club is being after last season's debacle. You would have thought we'd have learned our lesson but it would appear not. Endless amounts of spin and bullshit but little sign of any action but at least we can look forward to a mouth-watering line up at the Amex this season:

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/mouth-watering-line-up-at-the-amex-this-season-2585214.aspx?

Just a shame it won't be on the pitch.

There won't be anybody to buy it at this rate... they seem to have their priorities all wrong ... off the pitch they are top on the pitch they are very near the bottom ... can they please push their impetus towards the squad !!!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Me too....... But based on that interview I feel more rather than less worried

I do think [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has a very good point in that we are lacking creativity and a "name" signing. Those may or may not come but I very much doubt the "name" would be Zamora. If we land Marshall, Vaz Te and a decent Centre Half everyone's tails will be up. But I still think Hughton would be mad to oversell it at this stage, and because he hasn't Naylor and his sub ed have turned it in to last year again. It's a clever bit of journalism as that story is their number one viewed online out of a few basic press conference quotes. NSC has done nicely for page views too on an otherwise slow day I would imagine.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How much difference to the team that came fourth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C._season#Starting_11

29 GK Poland Tomasz Kuszczak 43 down 5%
2 RB Spain Bruno 30 par
3 CB Scotland Gordon Greer 39 down 5%
6 CB Egypt Adam El-Abd 33 up 15%
28 LB England Wayne Bridge 42 down 10%
11 CM Spain Andrea Orlandi 31 par
26 CM England Liam Bridcutt 44 up 10%
4 CM England Dean Hammond 33 par
30 RW England Will Buckley 29 down 30% on a good day, par most of the time
12 CF Scotland Craig Mackail-Smith 25 unknown
9 LW England Ashley Barnes 28 new player?
Matches[edit]

Not all that much different. Opposition much better this season. It might depend on the next signing!

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But sadly as it stands another season of struggle lays ahead with no real improvement as it stands

None ? Not even a bit ? Even the most grudging of fans would admit the defence looks stronger than last season.
And Maenpaa (on pre-season) at least looks like he will be pushing Stockdale to perform to retain his #1 jersey.
Rosenior , Bong look like good signings.
And the fringe players look a lot stronger (Harper, Rea, Tilley, Hambo, Dallison etc)
And having Baldock (first choice) and March, Crofts (probably first choice squad) back is a good sign.

But agreed until replacements for Tex, Buckley (ie: a winger), Halford/Hughes and another striker then we remain weak in those areas.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Adjust your expectations people. We're probably not going up. I'd really just settle for a better season than the last one at the moment.

GB, it's not my expectations that are the problem. I anticipate and expect something in the 12th-16th range.

Nope, it's TB's expectations that are the problem. This week: ".....
our aim this year is to be much better on the pitch, getting back to the level that you had become accustomed to in the previous two seasons".

This translates to a play off spot. So, with Chris saying in the interview that he expects to achieve a play off spot or "...close to it...", he is already teeing us up for failure against his chairman's goals.

I assume that he was careful with his words and is sending TB a message. The message being "you want 6th or better? I need more &/or better players. Otherwise, I'll do what I can, but no promises".

It's not "our" expectations that need adjusting; we're pretty much all aligned and we're aligned with the manager's too (imo). It's TB's expectations that need adjusting.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Just a shame it won't be on the pitch. I can't remember being quite as depressed as this shortly before the start of a season.

Without additional signings we're screwed but he didn't say we were done did he?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
None ? Not even a bit ? Even the most grudging of fans would admit the defence looks stronger than last season.
And Maenpaa (on pre-season) at least looks like he will be pushing Stockdale to perform to retain his #1 jersey.
And the fringe players look a lot stronger (Harper, Rea, Tilley, Hambo, Dallison etc)
And having Baldock (first choice) and March, Crofts (probably first choice squad) back is a good sign.

But agreed until replacements for Tex, Buckley (ie: a winger), Halford/Hughes and another striker then we remain weak in those areas.

Not sure defence was ever an issue but granted they do look a tad stronger but it still looks as if 1-goal will beat us again at the moment because the area's which were glaringly short last season are still in the same boat, maybe the youngsters should be blooded Ie Tilley, Harper, Rea, May

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure defence was ever an issue but granted they do look a tad stronger but it still looks as if 1-goal will beat us again at the moment because the area's which were glaringly short last season are still in the same boat, maybe the youngsters should be blooded Ie Tilley, Harper, Rea, May

Lets hope we sign those 3-4 players that Hughton insists he needs before the squad is complete.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The Albion transfer PR war.

1. We have learnt lessons and will try and do our business early.
2. Free transfers aren't free, signing on fee, wages.
3. We are trying very very hard.
4. No really we are trying hard and will be ready for the opener.
5. Oh bollocks, judge us at the end of the transfer window.
6. Ah, there is always the loan window.

7. Our loan signings need time to gel.
8. We will make sure we are active in the January transfer window

:bla::bla::bla::bla::bla::bla::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Im certain that the club are trying to get players in, it obvious to all what positions we've got to fill, but I think it's the players/agents hanging on until the last minute rather than the club. It's entirely in the players/agents best interest to wait for the best deal possible.

Us supporters aren't really part of the equation.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I think the despondency is unjustified. As is the the badger for ageing journeyman forwards. Its a young man's game. Still uncertain that the forward line is any better.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
GB, it's not my expectations that are the problem. I anticipate and expect something in the 12th-16th range.

Nope, it's TB's expectations that are the problem. This week: ".....
our aim this year is to be much better on the pitch, getting back to the level that you had become accustomed to in the previous two seasons".

This translates to a play off spot. So, with Chris saying in the interview that he expects to achieve a play off spot or "...close to it...", he is already teeing us up for failure against his chairman's goals.

I assume that he was careful with his words and is sending TB a message. The message being "you want 6th or better? I need more &/or better players. Otherwise, I'll do what I can, but no promises".

It's not "our" expectations that need adjusting; we're pretty much all aligned and we're aligned with the manager's too (imo). It's TB's expectations that need adjusting.

Good points and I trust you as a fair and reasonable poster on here. If anything your post worries me more than Hughton's comments.

If there has been a constant theme since we got to The Amex it's that we've struggled to hold on to managers / first team coaches due to "recruitment issues". I had assumed that was code for David Burke and part of my unusual optimism is due to the fact we seem to have a solid management team in place again. If Bloom does think we can get promotion on the cheap we probably can't (though Burnley managed it just two seasons ago and Palace weren't massive spenders either). If those thoughts destabilise another manager then the fans would be correct to question the whole leadership of the club.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

If you're reading any differences in TB saying "our aim this year is to be getting back to the level you had become accustomed to " or Hughton says " want to be doing is challenging, in or close to that top six.
We’ll certainly be giving everything we can to be there but we certainly need to make sure we have a good end to the transfer window.” then i simply can't see it.

They're not saying they expect it, they're not saying it will happen. They're both saying its their aim or what they want. Of course they are. Hughton has delivered on this before at his previous clubs and Bloom has funded a squad who has done this twice in 3 years. Of course they think its an aim , an achievable aim and want they want. And Bloom isn't blind. He sat through enough of our performances last year to realise that he's got a tough job on his hands. Now i think its currently unlikely given the squad is mostly the same as that that finished 20th and the rebuilding isn't complete but so what ? . Perplexed as to what else you actually expect them to say at this stage?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here