Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hudds to hand 'arry a lifeline?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Reading are the only team Huddersfield could beat in the play-offs, so I really hope they play Wednesday or Fulham who will take them apart.

If Huddersfield finish third, and I mean this, they will be the worst team ever to do so at this level.

Well if you had gone to the match there this season, you would have seen them rip us a new one. We were totally blitzed....despite resting 10 player the previous weekend in the cup match at Lincoln.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Reading are the only team Huddersfield could beat in the play-offs, so I really hope they play Wednesday or Fulham who will take them apart.

If Huddersfield finish third, and I mean this, they will be the worst team ever to do so at this level.
Huddersfield were excellent at their place when we played them, but truely woeful at the Amex so the obvious conclusion is that they are very inconsistent !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The simple answer is after a long hard season of 46 games to promote a team based on a 3 game knock out just for TV is ridiculous and not representative of the best teams achievements. So promote the top 3 teams and relegate the bottom 3 in each division including the National League thus scrapping the play offs altogether. This would prevent teams putting out a weakened side for the last 3 or 4 games to suit their purpose. A straight 3 up 3 down in all divisions.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The simple answer is after a long hard season of 46 games to promote a team based on a 3 game knock out just for TV is ridiculous and not representative of the best teams achievements. So promote the top 3 teams and relegate the bottom 3 in each division including the National League thus scrapping the play offs altogether. This would prevent teams putting out a weakened side for the last 3 or 4 games to suit their purpose. A straight 3 up 3 down in all divisions.
That's just dull though.

The playoffs are very much a consolation 2nd chance prize for the 4 teams that arn't quite good enough for automatic promotion.

Now there should be more advantage for finishing higher within the 4 teams, but the general idea is a good one.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

Play offs keeps the top half of the division alive otherwise there could be much more chance of dead nothing games come the end of the season. It also generates money and is entertaining. Lets not lose sight that football is meant to be entertainment and the play offs give this.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's just dull though.

The playoffs are very much a consolation 2nd chance prize for the 4 teams that arn't quite good enough for automatic promotion.

Now there should be more advantage for finishing higher within the 4 teams, but the general idea is a good one.

That is the whole point after a long hard 46 game season with its ups and downs, injuries and suspensions there shouldnt be a consolation prize if you were not good enough to achieve your aim.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That is the whole point after a long hard 46 game season with its ups and downs, injuries and suspensions there shouldnt be a consolation prize if you were not good enough to achieve your aim.

Even if that aim was thwarted by a referee who looks like a constipated Jasper Carrot?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I wonder if the FL would step in if Hudds had won the game with their so-called "weak" squad? Whose right is it to define which is the strongest or weakest XI for a club - I don't think many would agree on NSC what our "best" XI is for example.

I know the rules are there to stop blatant "throwing" of a game to manipulate a league position, but you could do the same by putting out your 'strong' XI with instructions to lose 4-0 if you're being that cynical.

I simply don't understand the point of a 25 man squad if you're not allowed to rotate it. We fell victim to it last year so I sympathise with Blackburn on that level, but ultimately they've put out their best XI all season and been absolutely toilet. If they were safe in mid-table this wouldn't be a discussion. Maybe they would be better served addressing that, rather than the manager of another team rotating his squad.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well if you had gone to the match there this season, you would have seen them rip us a new one. We were totally blitzed....despite resting 10 player the previous weekend in the cup match at Lincoln.

I actually took the positives from that game as until then, we were getting carried away with our invincibility, and Hudds showed us that actually we were vulnerable from teams who wouldn't let us play our "pass it around" game and just roll over.

we suddenly in the next few games looked like we had received a kick in the goolies and looked more like a team that wanted to come out of the blocks.

If we could only get Mooey for next year in midfield, !!!!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
This thread screams one match scouting at its worst. No mention of how pathetic Huddersfield were at the Amex, and that's the only word to use. No ambition, no class, no quality. They were lucky to score 0 on the night, it wouldn't have been out of place for the referee to have slapped every single one of their players across the face for wasting his, and everyone else's time.

Aaron Mooy is up there with Jonathan Kodjia for the most overrated player on this website.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
This thread screams one match scouting at its worst. No mention of how pathetic Huddersfield were at the Amex, and that's the only word to use. No ambition, no class, no quality. They were lucky to score 0 on the night, it wouldn't have been out of place for the referee to have slapped every single one of their players across the face for wasting his, and everyone else's time.

Aaron Mooy is up there with Jonathan Kodjia for the most overrated player on this website.

You won 1-0 after our keeper threw into his own net. Bearing in mind we were still finding our feet at the top of the league we weren't that bad. I was there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

well that sums up your footballing scouts ability. How many times have you seen town this year? once at the amex? Town came with a game plan to sit back, frustrate and bully Brighton, which for 80 minutes they managed to do. We were flying at that time and wagner realised ( from his interview in the examiner a few weeks later) that there was no point trying to go for it from the off, rather sit back and wait....which we did in a few games this year...fulham...Birmingham...leeds. We are extremely difficult to beat at home and only really Charlton last season and Brentford this year have really gone at us from minute one....

It will be very interesting to see how we fare next year where, especially the big teams, are used to bossing games and are very quick in the attack. we really need to get our invincibility at home back again after Saturday ( which I am sure we will) as to stay in teh prem winning your home games is a absolute must.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Presumably a quick check of the Amex match stats will back you up.

IMG_1824.PNG

...oh

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Agreed. They were utterly woeful at the Amex, very lucky to score nil.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You won 1-0 after our keeper threw into his own net. Bearing in mind we were still finding our feet at the top of the league we weren't that bad. I was there.

You were doing well until the last bit. This is where you completely made yourself look a bit stupid. Both Mooy and Kodjia are excellent players.

Kodjia i have seen more of, has really impressed me. He scores an average a goal every two games.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
well that sums up your footballing scouts ability. How many times have you seen town this year? once at the amex? Town came with a game plan to sit back, frustrate and bully Brighton, which for 80 minutes they managed to do. We were flying at that time and wagner realised ( from his interview in the examiner a few weeks later) that there was no point trying to go for it from the off, rather sit back and wait....which we did in a few games this year...fulham...Birmingham...leeds. We are extremely difficult to beat at home and only really Charlton last season and Brentford this year have really gone at us from minute one....

It will be very interesting to see how we fare next year where, especially the big teams, are used to bossing games and are very quick in the attack. we really need to get our invincibility at home back again after Saturday ( which I am sure we will) as to stay in teh prem winning your home games is a absolute must.

I'm all for tactics, I too would be tempted to sit in, be in the game at 80 minutes and then try and change it to go for the win.

But it doesn't change the fact that their performance at the Amex was terrible, as it was against Newcastle and other games I've watched on Sky involving them. They won't win the play-offs, they won't even be in the final.

To their credit, like Leeds, they've made rapid strides this season and should be up there again next season and with a summer of investment, assuming they keep Wagner, I'm sure they'll be at the top end again next season. I have nothing against them, I just don't think they're very good but it's a good time to leave this league, but that said I think it probably always is.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'd absolutely laugh my TITS off, if Brentord and Ipswich rested all their best players on Saturday. No chance it will happen though.

Oh imagine how old scrotum face would deal with that (after endorsing what Wagner did) if Birmingham were to relegated as a consequence. You might want to be near an A&E just in case. I might wet myself.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-statement-huddersfield-town-3723224.aspx

The regulation states that Clubs must play their ‘full strength’ side in all fixtures unless some satisfactory reason is given.

Having considered all matters, there is no doubt in the Board’s mind that Huddersfield Town could have fielded a ‘stronger’ team, but in the absence of a full and detailed definition of what constitutes ‘full strength’, there was sufficient scope for the Club to make a significant number of changes to its starting line-up.

As a result of Huddersfield’s interpretation of the current regulation, the Board has requested the EFL Executive to consider amendments to ensure that the actions of any individual Club cannot be seen to negatively impact the credibility and public perception of the competition.

Proposed revisions will be discussed with all 72 member Clubs at the EFL AGM in June.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here