Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hudds to hand 'arry a lifeline?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, I'll have a proper laugh if Brentford and Ipswich do this weekend while Bristol City go on a rampage.

I'd absolutely laugh my TITS off, if Brentord and Ipswich rested all their best players on Saturday. No chance it will happen though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well Birmingham will keep the points, but although it's very unlikely, it is still possible Huddersfield will be docked points.
If there is to be a points deduction for Huddersfield (which I think is unlikely) I assume it would be applied at the start of next season. Even that might be a bit tricky if they win the play-offs.......................

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So, the same question I asked jam the man....were you happy that hughton sent out a vastly reduced side against Lincoln in the cup? Was that not disrespectful to all the other teams in the competition...in fact what about wenger who always has two sides...one for the league and one for cup games?

Wagner sent out a squad team when they played Man City in the f a cup and ran them extremely close.

We have had big discussions on here about saving players for important league games over cup games for years....now Wagner does it and there is some sort of faux outrage.....this is what happens nowadays.

To be honest the only issue people have with Wagner is his comment about us bottling it ....which was all end of season banter anyway....I think hughton is the only manager with the class not to engage to be fair.

As I said earlier on in this thread, I do not think resting players in a cup match is comparable to doing it in a league match. If a team put out a weakened side for a cup match and lose, the only team to suffer are that team themselves. When we rested players against Lincoln, only we were the losers. When resting players in a league match and losing, there are ramifications for many other sides, like in this case Blackburn and Forest.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Bloody hell, that's almost 40 years ago.

Might want to let that go.....

Had Alan Mullery & Laurie McMenermy entered the field of play with their arms embraced around each other pre match and then both teams engineered a result that took both Southampton and Brighton to promotion at the expense of Tottenham ( what was it the team which had scored in every home game against the team who had scored in every away game) playing out a 0-0 result, you would just accept it and not feel even a slight bit peeved?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Had Alan Mullery & Laurie McMenermy entered the field of play with their arms embraced around each other pre match and then both teams engineered a result that took both Southampton and Brighton to promotion at the expense of Tottenham ( what was it the team which had scored in every home game against the team who had scored in every away game) playing out a 0-0 result, you would just accept it and not feel even a slight bit peeved?

I think I may have gotten over it by now.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As I said earlier on in this thread, I do not think resting players in a cup match is comparable to doing it in a league match. If a team put out a weakened side for a cup match and lose, the only team to suffer are that team themselves. When we rested players against Lincoln, only we were the losers. When resting players in a league match and losing, there are ramifications for many other sides, like in this case Blackburn and Forest.

so how would you legislate against it? force teams to put out their best team in every game they play, because one could use the argument that putting a weakened team in the FA cup gives advantage to all the other clubs in the cup who don't, as you are not taking it seriously?

This could have a knock on effect that teams who have nothing to play for in the league structure and may only be relying on progress in the FA Cup /League Cup or whatever cup...

There was also this argument about english teams in the Europa cup putting out weak sides, as now it appears that the Premier league is the be and end all of English football and staying in it/getting in it at all costs is the prime objective of all clubs. Yet they are the first to leap up and down in celebration when they get in Europe. That is probably wagner's argument and was used by every other team throughout the ages who have fielded weakened teams...just because they can.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Would you be happy for Brighton (and whoever else) being banned from next seasons cup for making 9? Changes for the Lincoln game?

Granted it's a different competition, but if you are going to start handing out fines and points deductions for making 10 changes in one - it has to be accross the board.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
so how would you legislate against it? force teams to put out their best team in every game they play, because one could use the argument that putting a weakened team in the FA cup gives advantage to all the other clubs in the cup who don't, as you are not taking it seriously?

This could have a knock on effect that teams who have nothing to play for in the league structure and may only be relying on progress in the FA Cup /League Cup or whatever cup...

There was also this argument about english teams in the Europa cup putting out weak sides, as now it appears that the Premier league is the be and end all of English football and staying in it/getting in it at all costs is the prime objective of all clubs. Yet they are the first to leap up and down in celebration when they get in Europe. That is probably wagner's argument and was used by every other team throughout the ages who have fielded weakened teams...just because they can.

Can you really not see the distinction between fielding different strength teams in different competitions (where a club can feel entitled to apply different priorities to different trophies) and fielding different strength teams in a league, where the team a club puts out has a direct impact on several other clubs?

I hope Huddersfield fck it up and find themselves victims of this shìte next season.

Granted it's a different competition
Which pretty much renders the rest of your post as completely pointless.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can you really not see the distinction between fielding different strength teams in different competitions (where a club can feel entitled to apply different priorities to different trophies) and fielding different strength teams in a league, where the team a club puts out has a direct impact on several other clubs?

I hope Huddersfield fck it up and find themselves victims of this shìte next season.

Which pretty much renders the rest of your post as completely pointless.

:thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
With potentially £100m on the outcome, I'd have done the same as Wagner.

Even if he had put out a full strength team, would they have put 100% into the performance?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I've just got slight suspicion that playing to avoid Fulham in the semis will backfire and they'll get knocked out by Massive or Reading anyway.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
Bloody hell is this still going?

It's amusing that it seems to only be neutral fans that have any issue with this - haven't heard a single Forest or Blackburn fan moaning. Only their managers...I wonder why.

With you guys I assume it's a combination of Wagner calling you 'bottless gets', some hatred of Redknapp, regret that you didn't the opportunity to rest players before the playoffs last season.

Anyway, these guys are right on the money with it: https://twitter.com/Radio_Yorkshire/status/859732530555011073

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Reading are the only team Huddersfield could beat in the play-offs, so I really hope they play Wednesday or Fulham who will take them apart.

If Huddersfield finish third, and I mean this, they will be the worst team ever to do so at this level.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Reading are the only team Huddersfield could beat in the play-offs, so I really hope they play Wednesday or Fulham who will take them apart.

If Huddersfield finish third, and I mean this, they will be the worst team ever to do so at this level.

Played us off the park at their place and were a match at ours. Good side that play great football. Just not that consistent. Far better than Leeds, Reading or swfc.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Played us off the park at their place and were a match at ours. Good side that play great football. Just not that consistent. Far better than Leeds, Reading or swfc.

Which means absolutely nothng going into the play offs.

I fancy Sheff Weds to get over the line, last years play off experience should be a big help to them, and are more solid at the back than the other 3 teams.

Its a bloody lottery really, one I am delighted we are not part of. I can sit back, watch and enjoy for a change

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
Which means absolutely nothng going into the play offs.

I fancy Sheff Weds to get over the line, last years play off experience should be a big help to them, and are more solid at the back than the other 3 teams.

Its a bloody lottery really, one I am delighted we are not part of. I can sit back, watch and enjoy for a change

I agree, I think that their assortment of £40k a week strikers will see them over the line. It'll be a good experience for us though, noone was expecting play-offs this year so it's all a bit of a bonus.

Also "If Huddersfield finish third, and I mean this, they will be the worst team ever to do so at this level." hahahahaa. Cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here