Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield Town Vs Brighton & Hove Albion ***Official Match Thread***

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
No I didn't. I can add, of course that would be good enough. But 'win at home, draw away' is a common cliche that is wrong, not because it wouldn't give you enough points mathematically, but because it suggests that draws away from home are enough, and they're not.

Indeed, I'm delighted with the points tally so far, just disagree with one old cliche.

I am sure you would have taken 2nd with 7 points after 3 games.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I don't agree with this fallacy. You can't finish top 6 with just drawing away games.
look at tonight's results loads of draws, win on Saturday and tonight's result will be looked upon as a good result. Oh and we don't just draw away from home I seem to remember a win at Fulham........

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Think it's more to do how well we play first half and totally under pressure second. ( pretty much in all 3 games)Something doesn't seem right.

Our winning goals against Forest and Fulham both came in the 2nd half...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am sure you would have taken 2nd with 7 points after 3 games.
Was it my comment ("I'm delighted with the points tally so far"), that you quoted, that gave it away?

albionite

May 20, 2009
No I didn't. I can add, of course that would be good enough. But 'win at home, draw away' is a common cliche that is wrong, not because it wouldn't give you enough points mathematically, but because it suggests that draws away from home are enough, and they're not.

Indeed, I'm delighted with the points tally so far, just disagree with one old cliche.

Win all home and draw all away gives 92pts, pretty sure would give you a top 2 place

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
One match at a time, we are by no means Top 6 material at present, but who gives a Donald? Roll on Blackburn then Ipswich. Der der der der der der der der.

"By no means top 6 material"?

I guess you haven't watched us play yet this season then.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
On the positive side all the new players look good and the old players are performing better than last year.

On the negative side I have just finished my bottle of wine.

I will take that positive and go and open another bottle of wine.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But that wouldn't happen. The question is, are draws away from home good enough, and the answer is no, they're not.

It seems like you believe it possible to draw all our away games, but impossible to win all our home games (you're quick to dismiss the idea we can win all our home games, but seem to suggest drawing all our away games isn't enough - not that it won't happen). I'd say both were very unlikely. Of course we should be looking to win every game. "Win at home, win away" and you'll guarantee promotion, but that ain't gonna happen either.

The sentiment behind "draw away, win at home" is perfectly innocuous. At its heart it's the same as aiming for "2pt per game average" that so many people suggest as the aim for promotion, while acknowledging that (in theory) home games are expected to be easier to win due to home advantage.

It's not about trying to draw every away game, but that away from home a draw is not to be sniffed at.

Are away draws ever good enough? Yes, of course they are. We need one point to guarantee promotion? A draw will do that. Playing a team right below us in the table? A draw is good enough. A win in both cases is better, but the draw is enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yet oddly pessimistic around that graciously positive aura?
Well I'm a bit stressed having had to sit through the pain of listening to us on the radio, and a I'd have liked a win against a side that I don't think will do much this year. Obviously delighted to have won the first two games, so 7 points from 9 is fantastic. Not delighted to have drawn tonight though, and it's tonight that I'm thinking about mostly at the moment. And being stressed, I was reacting to a cliche I disagree with.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Happy that with the side still gelling, new (and possibly key) players still to come into the side and a new system in place, we've dropped only two points in three games - with two of those away from home.

As learning curves go this one seems pretty painless. Well played lads.

Really?

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But you quoted someone saying win at home draw away as not being good enough. Of course we wont win every home game nor draw every away game, but if we did (on average) we would be promoted. KIts a question of arithmetic.

PG

What use is arithmetic when you've got Triggaaarnomotry*?

* I've used this before. Apologies. What's more, I may do so again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here