Huddersfield - pub recommendatons?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dandyman

In London village.
Surprisingly, especially after what happened a couple of years ago!

Things did get a bit fruity. I think one or two people were forced to pop outside to take the night air.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So what is a good 4/5 pub crawl to the ground, including a place with decent food, starting at the station at 12 ish, or maybe just before?

Last edited:

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
It's all about Magic Rock in Huddersfield.

And also about Mallinsons, as anyone who visits the Sportsman should find out. The Sportsman also do their own beers, but not a patch on the Mallinsons.
Mallinsons Brewing Company

The Vulcan is also OK in a slightly down at heel sort of way and on the way towards the ground, but not as good as the Sportsman, Kings Head or Head of Steam.

The home of Magic Rock is the Grove Inn, http://www.facebook.com/Thegroveinnhuddersfield?v=wall
One of the finest beer selections to be found anywhere in the UK with about 15 hand pumps in two bars with different ales on and a large number of Craft Keg pumps. Apart from the Magic Rock and the USA or Mikkeler Craft, when I was there last spring, they had a permanent Dark Star pump, for any Brightonians feeling homesick, which must be unique in Yorkshire. The pub itself lacks a little atmosphere compared to some of the above mentioned, but the main disadvantage is that it is in the opposite direction from the rail station as the football stadium, but only by about ten minutes. Well worth seeking out if you have the time.

Another cracking boozer, but slightly out of the way for the stadium is the Rat and Ratchet on Chapel Hill. It's a bit labyrinthine and multi-levelled / slopey floored inside due to the hill, with lots of retro ads and posters on the walls. They also do some of their own beers, which are very tasty. I think White Rat was a wheat beer, Black Rat was a stout, Golden Rat was a pale ale etc or something on those lines.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
When I was a nipper, my grandad would take me to the pub down in armitage bridge. I would sit outside with a lemonade and a packet of crisps, whilst he was inside having his brown ale.

When last in Huddersfield, I had a drink at the pub opposite newsome church. It had a cracking atmosphere in there.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
When I was a nipper, my grandad would take me to the pub down in armitage bridge. I would sit outside with a lemonade and a packet of crisps, whilst he was inside having his brown ale.

When last in Huddersfield, I had a drink at the pub opposite newsome church. It had a cracking atmosphere in there.

Do you mean the Wellington ( now a care centre) or the Fountain? Now that is a good cheap pub

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
So what is a good 4/5 pub crawl to the ground, including a place with decent food, starting at the station at 12 ish, or maybe just before?

Head of Steam for beer and food - then a bit of a walk - Star at Folly Hall, Rat and Ratchett, Grove, then head to teh Sportsman for a quick one before heading to the ground only problem is that three of those pubs are outside the ring road.

If anyone likes bottled european lagers the Hand drawn Monkey is good they have Erdinger Kristall and also soem beer from Norway brewers Nogne - although to much of that and you won't make the game fullstop.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Hudd is great for pubs, a burgeoning real ale scene there. The best ones are off the ring road to the South (e.g. The Grove) so wrong way for the ground. The two inside the train station are good too, particularly the Head of Steam. The ones near the ground are shit though.

Acetripper

Apr 23, 2009
There's loads of excellent pubs in Huddersfield it all depends on what you want!

The two either side of Hudders Railway station the 'Head of Steam' and the 'Kings Head' are brilliant Real Ale pubs, as is the 'Sportsman' close by on Northumberland St. 'The Slubbers' is a legendary Timothy Taylor's pub but a bit of a walk. I've never seen any bother what so ever in any of these pubs. Gas Club is basic with cheap fizzy beer and simple food (with chips) if that's your liking. Over the other side of town there's the 'Rat and Ratchet' and 'The Grove' which are both award winning Real Ale pubs.

If you prefer the 'Lager Shed' experience with nice young ladies there's plenty around the University area with massive screens showing Sky Sports. Down on Leeds Road there's a fairly new Marstons pub the 'Yorkshire Rose'. Very decent standard of food and a range of hand pulled beers. Very much a family pub, where you could park up for the game. Wearing colours isn't usually a problem in these pubs however, there are ones in the centre of town where it's not advisable. They're easy enough to spot because the Cops aren't too far away!

I'll probably call in the 'Sportsman' to see my old mate who's the owner! Hope that helps!:lolol:

no81skint

Apr 27, 2007
Coventry
Thanks all for some great tips...will be setting off soon...and I think it's going to be...

Head of Steam!
All have a great day out :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports