Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HTC Wildfire ... S

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I got my HTC Desire HD on Saturday and I love it. The battery life is a bit rubbish but then I have been downloading apps and playing games on it constantly which is obviously going to drain the battery.

I ended up getting a really good deal with Vodafone too so I am very happy!

Is there anything you can do about the battery life? Mine really is crap, and it's causing some problems work-wise.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is there anything you can do about the battery life? Mine really is crap, and it's causing some problems work-wise.
You can keep apps being run down to a minimum, and buy additional chargers including one for your car. Well that's what I've done anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Download the Advanced Task Killer app (free). This lets you cancel lots of unnecessary background activity the phone does when its sitting in idle.
Switch off 'Background Data' in your accounts & sync menu - you only need to activate this when you're downloading stuff.
Switch off GPS when you're not using it
Switch off the wireless detector when you're not using it

All these things nibble away at ther battery when you're not even using it, and can easily be re-activated at the touch of a button as and when you want to use them. I usually only need to recharge my Wildfire every other day, and thats with a fair amount of usage, so I'd imagine its similar with a Desire (or whatever HTC it is you have).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh, and switch off the haptic feedback on key presses. Totally pointless having the phone vibrate every time you touch it (unless you are Ashley Cole of course).

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Much obliged, will give some of that a try.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Can anyone advise me on the LG Optimus GT540?

Seems to me its a lot of phone for the money and can be upgraded to run on Android 2.2.
Has anyone got one? What are your opinions.

I currently have an HTC Smart (anything but imo). So am thinking about the GT540 as i dont really want to spend over £100.

Mrs. W has one.
It's not bad at all for the money.
The screen can be a bit slow to react at times though.

I didn't know Android 2.2 was comiing its way.
Had heard 2.1 was out for it though.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Mrs. W has one.
It's not bad at all for the money.
The screen can be a bit slow to react at times though.

I didn't know Android 2.2 was comiing its way.
Had heard 2.1 was out for it though.

Thanks Tony, bought one today, early days but it seems fairly good so far.
There are some videos on you tube of people who have upgraded to 2.2, seems there are a few glitches yet but im sure they will get ironed out.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
No wonder you are moaning about University fees, how on earth can you keep right up to date with technology if you have to pay for university as well

Four reasons. Firstly, its not that expensive given that I could spunk 400 or 500 up the wall on an iPhone. Secondly its actually my birthday towards the end of June. Thirdly I am not going to be paying the higher fees, I just disagree with them. Fourth I have a job.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I already have a HTC Desire, but the price of it means I am always a bit wary of losing it, particularly on away days. I thought I misplaced it a couple of times in Milton Keynes on Saturday.

Saturday also showed I need GPS to navigate places like Bletchley! The Wildfire seems arguably the cheapest smart phone with this capability.

My dad has the HTC Desire HD. Its beautiful.

I'm really excited to get it!

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Thanks Tony, bought one today, early days but it seems fairly good so far.
There are some videos on you tube of people who have upgraded to 2.2, seems there are a few glitches yet but im sure they will get ironed out.

Nice one, I'm sure you'll find it great value for money.
I have read the phone runs more smoothly with the official Android 2.1 upgrade off the LG site (it currently has 1.6).
I guess 2.2 would be even better once they sort out any issues.

I have the HTC HD7 and its OK. Just Ok though! I miss a half decent camera (Sony win this hands down), the ability to save a message in drafts when someone rings halfway through, the ability to import own music/ringtones and some other niggly bits but its OK.
I would rather have my old Satio working for ease of use and camera but there you go!

HCQ

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Download the Advanced Task Killer app (free). This lets you cancel lots of unnecessary background activity the phone does when its sitting in idle.
Switch off 'Background Data' in your accounts & sync menu - you only need to activate this when you're downloading stuff.
Switch off GPS when you're not using it
Switch off the wireless detector when you're not using it

All these things nibble away at ther battery when you're not even using it, and can easily be re-activated at the touch of a button as and when you want to use them. I usually only need to recharge my Wildfire every other day, and thats with a fair amount of usage, so I'd imagine its similar with a Desire (or whatever HTC it is you have).

Read somewhere that Advanced Task Killer actually uses more battery than it saves? Not sure how true that is. I tend to use the option in the Settings to "force stop" some things, but again as long as you turn off your WiFi and 3G connections when not using you should be fine.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've read conflicting reports as well about Advanced Task Killer. But for me, the proof is in the pudding. Without it, I used to switch the phone on and notice the battery had drained a couple of bars without any usage by me, so it needed charging EVERY night. With it, the battery level stays up and I only usually recharge every other night, unless I've been using it loads and loads (which is rare).

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I've read conflicting reports as well about Advanced Task Killer. But for me, the proof is in the pudding. Without it, I used to switch the phone on and notice the battery had drained a couple of bars without any usage by me, so it needed charging EVERY night. With it, the battery level stays up and I only usually recharge every other night, unless I've been using it loads and loads (which is rare).

I didn't really notice much benefit from using ATK, once I killed something, chances are 5 minutes later it would be back up and running again. There were a couple of certain programmes it wouldn't kill at all, they just stayed on screen and wouldn't die! I have found keeping the Wifi and 3G connections off keep the battery going for a few days which is usually enough. Still miss the days of my Nokia lasting a week or so!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Me can send man to the moon, carry out organ transplants, but we can't make a small battery last for more than a few days. Unbelievable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here