HTC Wildfire ... S

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I know some people on here have a Wildfire, argueably one of the best budget smart phones on the market today. However the screen resolution was too small, so I gave it a skip. Meet the HTC Wildfire S - the wildfire but bigger.

Out in Q2 (1st April - 30th June) and likely to be around the same price point making it a lower mid/upper entry level phone :banana: If you didn't fancy a small screen on the wildfire, now is the time to get on the Wildfire S. The rave reports on here weren't wrong!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I got a Sony Experia X10 on a free upgrade and for me its the best thing since sliced bread. I preferred it far more than the HTC which I sent back.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I know some people on here have a Wildfire, argueably one of the best budget smart phones on the market today. However the screen resolution was too small, so I gave it a skip. Meet the HTC Wildfire S - the wildfire but bigger.

Out in Q2 (1st April - 30th June) and likely to be around the same price point making it a lower mid/upper entry level phone :banana: If you didn't fancy a small screen on the wildfire, now is the time to get on the Wildfire S. The rave reports on here weren't wrong!

The screen size on the Wildfire S is the same as the Wildfire.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the wildfire S has improved resolution, 320x480 vs 240x320 on the older model.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
LG optimus one.

£5 a month cheaper than my old mans Wildfire, and is basically like for like.
Got mine from T mobile and got a free booster, and a free sat nav car kit, and £50 high street vouchers. Well pleased.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Can anyone advise me on the LG Optimus GT540?

Seems to me its a lot of phone for the money and can be upgraded to run on Android 2.2.
Has anyone got one? What are your opinions.

I currently have an HTC Smart (anything but imo). So am thinking about the GT540 as i dont really want to spend over £100.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

Yes, sorry. Slight slip up! I mean the increased resolution which is important in getting some apps from the market place (The Engadget app is an example). Having those extra pixels and the standard minimum resolution is now the deal breaker. Not that in inches it is any bigger. My bad.

At £270 in March, probably going to reduce in price by June time, I can't say no!

Tedebear: Sony Erricson have NOTHING on HTC who make arguably the best android phones going :wink:

The X10 was the toe to toe competitor of the Galaxy S, right? Nicely spec'd.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Can anyone advise me on the LG Optimus GT540?

Seems to me its a lot of phone for the money and can be upgraded to run on Android 2.2.
Has anyone got one? What are your opinions.

I currently have an HTC Smart (anything but imo). So am thinking about the GT540 as i dont really want to spend over £100.

Gavin,

I thought you had a wildfire too. If you do it must be "pilot error"....

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Gavin,

I thought you had a wildfire too. If you do it must be "pilot error"....

No Kip, its called a HTC smart, its much cheaper and theirs a reason for that!
Its not on Android so no downloadable apps, and is quite slow, even to open a text can take about a minute while the cogs turn to open the page.
From what ive heard the wildfire, desire etc are all good, the Smart unfortunately isnt.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Tedebear: Sony Erricson have NOTHING on HTC who make arguably the best android phones going :wink:

The X10 was the toe to toe competitor of the Galaxy S, right? Nicely spec'd.

Well I took delivery of the HTC HD and hated the look and feel of it and took advantage of Vodafones nice offer to return it for something else within 7 days. I then got the Sony X10 and thought it was miles better. Personally a phone has to look good as well as have the features for me.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Well I took delivery of the HTC HD and hated the look and feel of it and took advantage of Vodafones nice offer to return it for something else within 7 days. I then got the Sony X10 and thought it was miles better. Personally a phone has to look good as well as have the features for me.

I LOVE HTC Sense. Its beautiful! But each to their own.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Thanks for starting this thread KneeOn.

I was going to buy a Wildfire from Amazon yesterday! But having read this thread, I think I’ll put the idea on hold until the new one is out/comes down in price.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for starting this thread KneeOn.

I was going to buy a Wildfire from Amazon yesterday! But having read this thread, I think I’ll put the idea on hold until the new one is out/comes down in price.

No worries! i've been wrestling with the Wildfire thinking I want it, its a good, cheap HTC but the screen size put me off till I went on Engadget and saw a review/hands on thing!

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I got my HTC Desire HD on Saturday and I love it. The battery life is a bit rubbish but then I have been downloading apps and playing games on it constantly which is obviously going to drain the battery.

I ended up getting a really good deal with Vodafone too so I am very happy!

Last edited:

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
No worries! i've been wrestling with the Wildfire thinking I want it, its a good, cheap HTC but the screen size put me off till I went on Engadget and saw a review/hands on thing!

I already have a HTC Desire, but the price of it means I am always a bit wary of losing it, particularly on away days. I thought I misplaced it a couple of times in Milton Keynes on Saturday.

Saturday also showed I need GPS to navigate places like Bletchley! The Wildfire seems arguably the cheapest smart phone with this capability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports