Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Htc desire s

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Have a look at the spec on a Nokia N8, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Around the same price range or just slightly under for a virtually new one PAYG. You'll be able to update to Symbian Anna OS very soon too. Of course, if you're set on Android you'll probably just dismiss Nokia anyway.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
So the one I saw would be Windows Phone 7? Are these as good as Android, and might they be better for sites that use Flash and Shockwave?

It would have been Windows Phone 7 yes.

This is Microsoft's attempt to get in on the market dominated by Apple and Android but it won't work. Apparently Windows Mobile is quite good, but ultimately they arrived too late and it really is all between Apple and Android.

Apple has the exceptionally refined hardware and software, at a premium. Android has an open source undershell and Google power behind it.

I have an Android device because it is more flexible and customisable than the iPhone, as well as being considerably cheaper

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Have a look at the spec on a Nokia N8, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Around the same price range or just slightly under for a virtually new one PAYG. You'll be able to update to Symbian Anna OS very soon too. Of course, if you're set on Android you'll probably just dismiss Nokia anyway.

Are you MAD?

Symbian is FINISHED. Nokia are moving over to Windows Phone OS for future models. It's sad to see but Nokia are dead in the water right now. The Symbian platform is defunct so there's absolutely no point getting to grips with its latest, final version. Nobody is going to make apps for it. Nobody is going to support it.

Apple has the exceptionally refined hardware and software, at a premium. Android has an open source undershell and Google power behind it.
Also worth noting that Apple continues stubbornly to rebuff Flash, the reason I wouldn't entertain their products. There has however been an interesting development featured on last week's Click, mentioning this software Google Swiffy
But why would Google release software that makes their rival's product more appealing?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Are you MAD?

Symbian is FINISHED. Nokia are moving over to Windows Phone OS for future models. It's sad to see but Nokia are dead in the water right now. The Symbian platform is defunct so there's absolutely no point getting to grips with its latest, final version. Nobody is going to make apps for it. Nobody is going to support it.

That's why their latest flagship the N9 comes with symbian anna and not windows then is it?
Look again.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
That's why their latest flagship the N9 comes with symbian anna and not windows then is it?
Look again.

The N9 is running Meego, the open source OS Nokia developed with Intel but have now left on the backburner whilst they bend over and suck Microsoft's cock.

It doesn't have the backing to be taken seriously and it won't take off. It's sad because there was potential there and I've long been a fan of Nokia hardware but unfortunately they're just too far behind now and the decision to get into bed with Microsoft rather than Google was a mistake

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The N9 is running Meego, the open source OS Nokia developed with Intel but have now left on the backburner whilst they bend over and suck Microsoft's cock.

It doesn't have the backing to be taken seriously and it won't take off. It's sad because there was potential there and I've long been a fan of Nokia hardware but unfortunately they're just too far behind now and the decision to get into bed with Microsoft rather than Google was a mistake

My apologies, you're quite right about the N9 bizarrely running Meego. I realised my mistake soon after I'd posted but it was very late in the day :blush: :lol:

However, new N8's ,E7's,C&'s and C6-01's are now shipping with Anna and existing owners of those models can update to Anna for free next month by all accounts. Nokia also plan to release new models running Anna in the next 12 months so it seems they haven't abandoned Symbian at all.

It's all about personal choice of course, but I chose an N8 for features that suit me. These include :

THE best camera on any phone out there.
Video recording that is matched by a few other phones but hasn't been bettered.
Brilliant offline sat nav with lifetime free map updates for more countries than you can shake a stick at.
Excellent battery life.
16gb internal memory (32gb micro sd expandable)
HDMI out that means great hook up with hdmi tv.
USB memory stick connection to the phone.
Inbuilt FM transmitter.
Flash support.
Rock solid metal build quality.

The internet may not be as sleek as the androids and phones with a faster CPU, but it certainly works fine for me. It may not be a fashionable phone but it suits me down to the ground.

I've tried friends' htc's on Android and there's no denying they're very sleek. I can see why anyone would want one. It's all about personal preference.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've had my desire for almost a year and never had a problem with it, until ..... was sitting having a cup of tea at the golf club last sat, and realised that my leg was rather warm. My desire was in my pocket - it was so, so hot I could not touch it. I could no believe how hot it had got. When I unlocked it, there was an app running, that I'd not started (not on purpose anyway), so that was maxing out the cpu and heating it up. Doesn't seem to have left any damage to the phone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here