Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] How would you vote in a referendum to legalise cannabis in the UK?

Would you like to legalise cannabis in the UK?

• YES - Legalise Cannabis

Votes: 268 68.9%
  • NO - Remain Illegal

Votes: 121 31.1%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d legalise most drugs. I feel a little uncomfortable including heroin, but see no point keeping others illegal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
my line of work involves working with a lot of people with addiction issues

heavy alcohol misuse is far more damaging for your body (a long term serious alcoholic is often looking at a pretty unpleasant death) than most drugs out there, let alone cannabis. Not to mention the antisocial behaviour

the weed smokers on my caseload are a piece of piss compared to the drinkers. In fact I also have a few clients with severe ADHD who self medicate with cannabis. I notice a serious decline in their general presentation if they haven't smoked that day and compared with other ADHD medication it helps them function better than basically anything else. Their main issue is the cost

Do any of the drive?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Criminalise it. Keep the number of vices down. The smell alone is reason enough! Poxy students and kids smoking it everywhere, bloody stinks. Not the hippy weed of 30-50 years ago. That I’d allow. But this new stuff is way more potent and obnoxious. Like my arse after beer + curry.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
war against drugs has been a spectacular failure. if you, as the government, have a substance which concerns you, why would you then ensure that criminal gangs have control of the marketplace. doesn't that seem a bit illogical? legalise asap.

Ridiculous to think that governments ever thought they could win the so called war on drugs considering we as humans have been getting high and using mind altering substances since we existed in some form or another

All for legalisation for all the pro reasons already stated. Irritates me that we as a nation seem so far off being in a place for it to be legalised though compared to other western nations

Will it ever happen here!?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Keep it illegal.

Too many start on weed and then end up on the hard stuff.

But Govts need to get their arse in gear on stamping it out. The 'war on drugs' is more of a Will Smith slap than a war. The time and money spent on this 'war' is a drop in the ocean compared to what's needed. Yet billions are spent dealing with the effects through crime, anti social behaviour and so on.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Keep it illegal.

Too many start on weed and then end up on the hard stuff.

But Govts need to get their arse in gear on stamping it out. The 'war on drugs' is more of a Will Smith slap than a war. The time and money spent on this 'war' is a drop in the ocean compared to what's needed. Yet billions are spent dealing with the effects through crime, anti social behaviour and so on.

What do you suggest is going to be more effective?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
All drugs should be legalised and controlled by the state, the war against drugs is not only being lost but actively encourages crimes against the person and property. Bad drugs destroy lives and state sold drugs could generate the income to fun rehabilitation and care.

I think cannabis should be legalised, but the above is a bit of a pipe dream in terms of harder drugs.

States legalise and control cigarettes and tax them massively This has created a black market both in real and counterfeit cigarettes controlled by organised crime who offer them at a cheaper price.

If the state sold heroin, someone else would be selling it cheaper.

I do have experience of "legalising cannabis" in the UK because I was living in Clapham at the time when Lambeth did a do not arrest experiment in the early 2000s. The place wonderfully smelt of pot for a while, but because everyone was going down there to smoke it drew harder drug dealers to the area.

I witnessed this first hand daily, living off one of the notorious drug dealing streets in the area. I used to get offered weed (*), but when the police decided to take a blind eye I was being offered crack within a few days.

I have no idea what the answer is, but that's my personal experience.

(*) Only got offered weed after the Police shut down the notorious shop next to Café Cairo if anyone knows the area. They only did that after the Standard / Daily Mail ran a story. Everyone knew what went on in that street including the MET.

The drug dealing increased after the shop shut.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd never advocate legalising cocaine. Nothing to do with the health risk but everything to do with the fact it turns you into at utter ### and the world is a much better place without utter ###s.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Legalise but in a similar way to alcohol and tobacco where there are incredibly light controls (instead of no controls at all). Won’t stop kids etc. but will stop/reduce some whilst also raising tax etc. (even if most of it is lost to corruption).

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I would happily vote yes if something could first be done to change the disgusting smell

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You can buy single use alcohol tests( mandatory in vehicles in France ) but nothing for Dope so I'm a No.

Just as a point of order - that requirement in France was suspended and remains so.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can’t stand cannabis. I find it such a depressing drug. Everything about it is cringeworthy. However, it should be legal.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I’ve never partaken of the stuff myself, and have no desire to.
In the 70s as a student I was present when others were, but was not alone in not partaking.
I voted to legalise it, though, mostly for reasons of hopefully taking away the organised crime part of it.
But the control of strength and so on is also part of it. I had a nephew who went totally wild with the stuff as a young teenager, and the son of a close friend of ours who ended up as a psychological wreck through cannabis, dying in his early 30s.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
What do you suggest is going to be more effective?

More stringent checks at the borders, more police tasked to fight drugs'and a lot more education with kids on the harmful side effects of drugs.

The only anti drug education in schools is done by charities, Govt does sweet FA about that.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Trying to get to a cleaner, more mild supply feels like a no brainer.
It's a bit like alcohol really. I don't like what it does to some people but for others its fine.

Legalise BUT the tax revenues should be ringfenced to fund mental health and social care.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So it's alright for millions of people to drink every night but not for people that want to relax with a spliff? What harms it doing? Far less than alcohol I imagine. Anyway looking forward to my best mates stag do in Amsterdam in July [emoji377] [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
My wife smokes before she goes to bed every night. Sleeps much better now…

Legalize it.

Great point, hopefully with legalisation of cannabis we can also relax some of the rules on smoking, my supply of menthol fags that I bought before they were banned is getting low.

I will support legalisation if it leads to the sale of menthol fags……….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here