Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How to Overtake a Cyclist

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
You wait for a moment where it is safe, and give the cyclist plenty of room. Your journey will be delayed by, at most, thirty seconds. Live and let live.

A cyclist does NOT delay a motorist by a second let only thirty!! A car will make up the time lost almost instantly, and be back on the bumper of the car infront again in no time. (This where the sort of idiots that moan about the time lost behind a cyclist insist on driving, because they're idiots!)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not it should not! Why do you, as a know all, have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do?

I cycle, and I always, ALWAYS, wear gloves. Why? Cos as a motorcyclist, and as a person using common sense, I know that the FIRST thing I will do when heading towards the tarmac is to put my hands out in front of me, so saving my face. At anything above 20mph my skin will leave my hands and I may require grafts, only problem is that skin taken from thighs, arms etc will never be able to transmit messages like original palm skin due to the lack of nerve endings.

I accept that I will fall from my cycle/motorcycle, I do not accept that I will hit my head. It is all about CHOICE, but people like you seek to take my choice away from me and impose your will, just because YOU think you know best.

Sorry, fed up with others taking choices away.

Couldn't help but think of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgOUgrOHuFc

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not it should not! Why do you, as a know all, have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do?

I cycle, and I always, ALWAYS, wear gloves. Why? Cos as a motorcyclist, and as a person using common sense, I know that the FIRST thing I will do when heading towards the tarmac is to put my hands out in front of me, so saving my face. At anything above 20mph my skin will leave my hands and I may require grafts, only problem is that skin taken from thighs, arms etc will never be able to transmit messages like original palm skin due to the lack of nerve endings.

I accept that I will fall from my cycle/motorcycle, I do not accept that I will hit my head. It is all about CHOICE, but people like you seek to take my choice away from me and impose your will, just because YOU think you know best.

So you think everyone that has come off a bike and hit their head did so because it was their choice?

An extract from http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/pedal-cyclists/facts-figures/

Head injuries, ranging from fatal skull fractures and brain damage to minor concussion and cuts, are very common injuries to cyclists. Hospital data shows that over 40% of cyclists, and 45% of child cyclists, suffer head injuries. A study of 116 fatal cyclist accidents in London and rural areas found over 70% of the cyclist fatalities in London had moderate or serious head injuries in London, and over 80% of those killed in collisions on rural roads.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
First thing they ask when you call 999...'was the cyclist wearing a helmet?' I wonder why?! So they can prioritise you over me when I crash, because you were stupid enough to ride without one!

Thankfully my uncle was wearing one yesterday, and it was his helmet and his collar bone that broke, and not his head!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Don't move here then mate, the nanny state will drive you mad!

.... and you won't be able to to post on any threads linked to the UK.

I know that to comply with the law I will need to wear a helmet, what are the penalties for not wearing one?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In other words 'stop being a w****r'.

I looked for that as this thread popped up, but sadly the video seems to have been taken down.

As an aside, is w****r considered less of a swear word in Oz than here? I'm just wondering because I remember those Leo W****r sketches on Paul Hogan's show back in the early Channel 4 days.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So you think everyone that has come off a bike and hit their head did so because it was their choice?

An extract from http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/pedal-cyclists/facts-figures/

Head injuries, ranging from fatal skull fractures and brain damage to minor concussion and cuts, are very common injuries to cyclists. Hospital data shows that over 40% of cyclists, and 45% of child cyclists, suffer head injuries. A study of 116 fatal cyclist accidents in London and rural areas found over 70% of the cyclist fatalities in London had moderate or serious head injuries in London, and over 80% of those killed in collisions on rural roads.

So, if I judge that I am prepared to risk cycling without a helmet, you believe that the state should impose a law to prohibit me from doing so?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
That video is really poor, even from a cyclist's point of view. They'd have been far better getting someone like Richard Hammond doing the driving part instead of the dull IAM instructor. The problem with a lot of cycle safety videos is they don't appeal to the motorists. Getting The Hamster in would give the motorists someone they can relate too, and it may sink in a bit better.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, if I judge that I am prepared to risk cycling without a helmet, you believe that the state should impose a law to prohibit me from doing so?

Your talking garbage because you could apply the same stupid logic to any law passed to protect the individual, whether that be wearing seat belts in cars, motorcycle helmets on bikes or hygiene rules in the restaurants where you eat.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That video is really poor, even from a cyclist's point of view. They'd have been far better getting someone like Richard Hammond doing the driving part instead of the dull IAM instructor. The problem with a lot of cycle safety videos is they don't appeal to the motorists. Getting The Hamster in would give the motorists someone they can relate too, and it may sink in a bit better.

That perma-gurning dwarfed-up dry LUNCH with the whitened teeth, chiselled hair, "skinny" jeans, platform heels and Billy Crystals wardrobe from City Slickers ?
The day I find myself relating to "The Hamster" is the day I bludgeon myself senseless with a rusty monkey wrench and throw myself off a carpark roof.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
That perma-gurning dwarfed-up dry LUNCH with the whitened teeth, chiselled hair, "skinny" jeans, platform heels and Billy Crystals wardrobe from City Slickers ?
The day I find myself relating to "The Hamster" is the day I bludgeon myself senseless with a rusty monkey wrench and throw myself off a carpark roof.

OK, Can we use Jenson Button, Damon Hill, David Coulthard or Richard Burns?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pedestrians stand more chance of getting killed or injured by mile travelled. Should they wear helmets and carry lights?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Have you come off your bike many times, when hitting a pothole or crack in the road surface or skidding on oil or rain, how much time do you have to protect your head, put your hands out first and what if your going over the handlebars, where do your hands come into it then. I'm not one that advocates intervention everywhere, however, riding a bike on British roads has inherent dangers, especially within people like Bens Grandad behind the wheel of his car and the safety measure of wearing a helmet is a life saving option. if you only come off your bike once, it could be a lifesaver.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Pedestrians stand more chance of getting killed or injured by mile travelled. Should they wear helmets and carry lights?

No, its not necessary and to paraphrase an earlier comment on here, they don't pay road tax' does that then make then some kind of target as it does cyclists. There are some really strange views being expressed on this subject.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Have you come off your bike many times, when hitting a pothole or crack in the road surface or skidding on oil or rain, how much time do you have to protect your head, put your hands out first and what if your going over the handlebars, where do your hands come into it then. I'm not one that advocates intervention everywhere, however, riding a bike on British roads has inherent dangers, especially within people like Bens Grandad behind the wheel of his car and the safety measure of wearing a helmet is a life saving option. if you only come off your bike once, it could be a lifesaver.
I have had just one big bike accident. Over the handlebars at speed. Put my arms out to save me and bend my left elbow backwards. Next thing to hit the earth was my helmet, still doing about 25mph. I scratch the outer shell up pretty bad, cracked the polystyrene and broke the visor on it. Without that protection I'd have, at best, lost a lot of skin of my face and scalp and at worst have suffered a fractured skull as well as a broken elbow.

I'm on the side that always wears a helmet (even when I was in the UK and it wasn't the law).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

To be fair, this is my point exactly. It could be a life saving option, as wearing gloves can avoid a life changing event. It is about choices and judgement, I just wish to be free to exercise my own, not keep having things imposed on me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here