Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How to Overtake a Cyclist

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How do you do it going south up to Ditchling Beacon, is it only when I am in a car that the cyclists have trouble getting up the road and wander all over the road thus making overtaking impossible. Sunday is the worst day for this.
Is Ditchling Beacon, esp on a Sunday which I believe "is the worst day for this" the very best and only route you can take for your journey from Haywards Heath and Brighton?
If it is then surely you've factored in the amount of time you're delayed and still come out on top.
Today it took us ages to get up the hill as the idiots on their bikes couldnt keep them in a straight line so we were unable to overtake until well past the bus turn around. If they cannot ride them in a straight line simple get off and walk. On the way back from Brighton on the road fromj ujst outside by the road restrictors going towards Wivvlesffield a chap was cycling like mad but ket going around every lttle divot and pothole in the road again makung it dangerous for us and him to overtake. him.
Would you prefer the cyclist to be thrown from his bike, under your car?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Today it took us ages to get up the hill as the idiots on their bikes couldnt keep them in a straight line so we were unable to overtake until well past the bus turn around. If they cannot ride them in a straight line simple get off and walk. On the way back from Brighton on the road fromj ujst outside by the road restrictors going towards Wivvlesffield a chap was cycling like mad but ket going around every lttle divot and pothole in the road again makung it dangerous for us and him to overtake. him.

So wait, and overtake him when it is safe.

FFS, these divots and potholes are lethal to cyclists. Of course he was going round them. Those traffic restrictions are designed to slow you down, and this cyclist would have been going at close to the speed that you could safely and sensibly drive at. Your delay will have been minimal.

"Gotta get ahead, must be in front!" Your mantra, it seems. Mine is "Hope this impatient fool doesn't kill me."

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yes. I have to disagree though as mine saved my life. Ordinary people pootling to the shops at 4mph probably don't need them, but anyone cycling on the road at speed? Yes.

Yep, I say this in another post. And Boardman wears one when he is "road cycling" too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is Ditchling Beacon, esp on a Sunday which I believe "is the worst day for this" the very best and only route you can take for your journey from Haywards Heath and Brighton?
If it is then surely you've factored in the amount of time you're delayed and still come out on top.

Would you prefer the cyclist to be thrown from his bike, under your car?

As we approached Ditchling a traffic round up on Radio Sussex said of delays on the A23 to the Hurstpierpoint turn off so went up the Beacon, which we never do as we had to meeta bus in Brighton having allowed plenty of time going down the A23. No I wouldnt want a cyclist under my wheels but what I would like is if it is too much of a struggle to cycle up the hill ina straight line for them to get off and walk. Is that too much to ask rather than them struggle and wander all over the road thus causing a danger from cars travelling in both directions coming around the bends.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Club cyclists riding as a train down the A27?
How unlucky, the only club to ever have rides on a major A road happens to hold you up.
Cyclists riding 2 abreast on a dual carriageway causes a problem?
It's a shame there's no room for imaginary cyclists on a dual carriageway.
50+ cyclists riding as one?
Were you actually in France, in July, when this happened.
Was there a lot of people at the side of the road waving at you.
50+ cyclists riding at 12 mph?
The longest and slowest train in cycling history Norris McWirther should be told.
I bet the day he is talking about was the day of Don Locks funeral.
That would be about the only time you'd get a group of that size riding together.

Yoda

English & European
As we approached Ditchling a traffic round up on Radio Sussex said of delays on the A23 to the Hurstpierpoint turn off so went up the Beacon, which we never do as we had to meeta bus in Brighton having allowed plenty of time going down the A23. No I wouldnt want a cyclist under my wheels but what I would like is if it is too much of a struggle to cycle up the hill ina straight line for them to get off and walk. Is that too much to ask rather than them struggle and wander all over the road thus causing a danger from cars travelling in both directions coming around the bends.

Why do you think they are going UP the hill in the first place? It's a challenge and is massively beneficial for their fitness.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bet the day he is talking about was the day of Don Locks funeral.
That would be about the only time you'd get a group of that size riding together.
That's still not a good enough reason for stopping a car from joining the back of a traffic jam half a mile down the road, 30 seconds quicker.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm tapping out of this madness, someone tag me...

...come on...

please....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
On another point, amazes me around half cyclists don't wear a helmet, should be made law

Not it should not! Why do you, as a know all, have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do?

I cycle, and I always, ALWAYS, wear gloves. Why? Cos as a motorcyclist, and as a person using common sense, I know that the FIRST thing I will do when heading towards the tarmac is to put my hands out in front of me, so saving my face. At anything above 20mph my skin will leave my hands and I may require grafts, only problem is that skin taken from thighs, arms etc will never be able to transmit messages like original palm skin due to the lack of nerve endings.

I accept that I will fall from my cycle/motorcycle, I do not accept that I will hit my head. It is all about CHOICE, but people like you seek to take my choice away from me and impose your will, just because YOU think you know best.

Sorry, fed up with others taking choices away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not it should not! Why do you, as a know all, have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do?

I cycle, and I always, ALWAYS, wear gloves. Why? Cos as a motorcyclist, and as a person using common sense, I know that the FIRST thing I will do when heading towards the tarmac is to put my hands out in front of me, so saving my face. At anything above 20mph my skin will leave my hands and I may require grafts, only problem is that skin taken from thighs, arms etc will never be able to transmit messages like original palm skin due to the lack of nerve endings.

I accept that I will fall from my cycle/motorcycle, I do not accept that I will hit my head. It is all about CHOICE, but people like you seek to take my choice away from me and impose your will, just because YOU think you know best.

Do you agree motorcyclist should always have to wear a lid?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Watch the video in post one and read the link in post 3. I think all this will be answered :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Don't move here then mate, the nanny state will drive you mad!

.... and you won't be able to to post on any threads linked to the UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here